rifle barrels

wildfowler.250

I have a .17hmr and long story short a friend of my dads says at the rate I'm going at, I'll shoot the gun out. He never said how many shots it would take though :good:

how many shots do you reakon I can fire before I need a new barrel/gun?

does a .22lr last longer? Would consider one for when I'm shooting rabbits if it does,(that's what most of my ammo is getting used up on atm).

thanks! :rolleyes:

Unlikely that you will shoot it out, but I know of no tests that have been carried out to establish barrel life of a 17hmr.

22rf barrel life is regarded as 1,000,000 rounds, 5.56 x 45 as 10,000 rounds, sporting rifles such as 243 etc., around 8,000 rounds. As a wild guess, I would say 20,000 for a 17hmr.

As a matter of interest, .5 Browning MG barrels have an accurate barrel life of only 500 rounds, that means firing at 1000 RPM, it has a barrel life of 30 seconds.

I think when you hit 1000 rounds per minute, accuracy can be allowed to suffer a little. I think that's what you call 'spray and pray'.

I don't think you'll be able to shoot out an HMR barrel. The pressures are so low and the bullets so light that the throat should be getting next to no force on it compared to a mild centerfire. Plus, shooting while the barrel is hot is the best way to kill a barrel. The HMR doesn't get hot in the first place. 20,000 is conservative I'd think. I'd add another zero to that.

Thanks,

Rick

I think when you hit 1000 rounds per minute, accuracy can be allowed to suffer a little. I think that's what you call 'spray and pray'.

I don't think you'll be able to shoot out an HMR barrel. The pressures are so low and the bullets so light that the throat should be getting next to no force on it compared to a mild centerfire. Plus, shooting while the barrel is hot is the best way to kill a barrel. The HMR doesn't get hot in the first place. 20,000 is conservative I'd think. I'd add another zero to that.

Thanks,

Rick

No gun firing copper-jacketed bullets at high velocity would last for 200,000 rounds. The fact that the outside of the barrel does not get hot has no bearing on barrel life, erosion is the major cause of barrel wear, and is cause by the transfer of heat from the propellant gases to the bore.

The small amount of hot gases produced by a 17hmr will not heat the outside of the barrel with a couple of shots, but will still cause erosion due to the high internal temperature. Double-base propellants for example, typically have an adiabatic flame temperature of 3319 K (3046 C).

The other two cause of barrel wear are corrosion which can be avoided by cleaning, and abrasion, caused by the friction of the projectile against the bore, which can't.

Edited by bob300w

My 7.62 has a stainless steel match barrel on it and if cared for and thoroughly cleaned etc they claim about 5000 rounds before it starts to lose accuracy. I would have thought there isn't enough rabbits in the country to shoot a .17 HMR barrel out.

Bob, just to split hairs, a Browning M2HB .50cal typically offers a rate of fire of 550 round/min. So you'd get a few more valuable seconds of barrel life.....

Just to split your split hairs, Central Wisconsin Armory (CWA) produce the M2HB M50 with a cyclic rate of fire of 900-1100 RPM. The M2 used in aircraft during WW2 had a cyclic rate of 750-850 RPM

The ground use .50 has a cyclic rate of 450-600 RPM.

My 7.62 has a stainless steel match barrel on it and if cared for and thoroughly cleaned etc they claim about 5000 rounds before it starts to lose accuracy. I would have thought there isn't enough rabbits in the country to shoot a .17 HMR barrel out.

The figure of 10,000 for 5.56 is what the military regard as accurate barrel life, there is a big difference between your type of shooting and the military, i.e. minute of angle v minute of Iraqi.

Thanks,

Rick

No gun firing copper-jacketed bullets at high velocity would last for 200,000 rounds. The fact that the outside of the barrel does not get hot has no bearing on barrel life, erosion is the major cause of barrel wear, and is cause by the transfer of heat from the propellant gases to the bore.

The small amount of hot gases produced by a 17hmr will not heat the outside of the barrel with a couple of shots, but will still cause erosion due to the high internal temperature. Double-base propellants for example, typically have an adiabatic flame temperature of 3319 K (3046 C).

The other two cause of barrel wear are corrosion which can be avoided by cleaning, and abrasion, caused by the friction of the projectile against the bore, which can't.

SHILLEN-HART custom 17hmr barrels are gauranteed for 200,000 shots !

I would have thought there isn't enough rabbits in the country to shoot a .17 HMR barrel out.

Roughly 37.5 million shots then :rolleyes:

Cor, well that goes to show what you do when you are not on the forum, you didn't count the three at the bottom of my garden though. :good:

Thanks,

Rick

SHILLEN-HART custom 17hmr barrels are gauranteed for 200,000 shots !

As there is no company making barrels called Shillen-Hart, that rather casts doubt on the rest of your post, no doubt you drive a Ford-Vauxhall?

17 hmr barrel life? - Yahoo!7 Answers

I am currently building a "Match" 17HMR Rifle with a Custom Shillen-Hart barrel and the barrel manufacturer guarantee's the barrel for 200000 rounds. ...

answers.yahoo.com.au/question/index?qid=20071030182437AArqY4Q - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

Just googled this :rolleyes::good::lol: so they do exist

I am currently building a "Match" 17HMR Rifle with a Custom Shillen-Hart barrel and the barrel manufacturer guarantee's the barrel for 200000 rounds. ...

answers.yahoo.com.au/question/index?qid=20071030182437AArqY4Q - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

Just googled this :good::lol: :lol: so they do exist

they are two seperate companies both make match grade high qaulity barrels, i think it should have

read : shillen , hart. :rolleyes:

Just googled this :rolleyes::good::lol: so they do exist

Google all that you wish, There is no barrel making company called Shillen-Hart. There is a company called Shilen, and a company called Hart, two separate companies, both barrel makers. And if you believe all that you read on yahoo answers, the mind boggles. Yahoo is as this forum, the site consists of peoples opinions, some factual, some fantasy. Show me an advert by the Shillen-Hart barrel making company, and I will buy you all the beer that you can drink.

Bob ,

I have a micky- mouse barrel on my .308 , or is it micky or could it be mouse . Have googled micky mouse and it comes up as quality barrel maker .All barrels made from high quality liquorice and gaurenteed for 10.000000 rounds . Can be eaten when shot out . Harnser .

8th FAQ down buddy

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm

Heat is a barrels biggest enemy ............You use and abuse and I would say the throat will soon start showing signs of erosion .We all have different views on what is accuracy so I suppose a match shooter would say say barrel life is only 10,000 rds but a hunter would say 50,000 .No one knows yet with the HMR

Bob ,

I have a micky- mouse barrel on my .308 , or is it micky or could it be mouse . Have googled micky mouse and it comes up as quality barrel maker .All barrels made from high quality liquorice and gaurenteed for 10.000000 rounds . Can be eaten when shot out . Harnser .

Aha, but the Donald Duck barrels were made from Clacton rock, much longer lasting, the only problem with them was that they attracted wasps. Is googling mice legal in Norfolk? I thought that went out with Muffin the Mule? Now that must be true, I read it on yahoo answers....... :good: just after the bit where it said that the moon is made of cream cheese :lol:<_< :blink:

I guess there is only one way to settle it.

50 rounds per box. We can start at 20K and see how it goes. That's 400 boxes at £10 a box. Wonder if we can get a bulk buy discount. Anyone have room on their ticket for 20,000 HMR rounds?

We can do 10 shot groups to save on measuring time and to get a really statistical difference from group to group. Makes the math easy too.

Now the only problem is what break in procedure and cleaning regime do we take....

Thanks,

Rick