DT GCSE Major Project

Ferret Master

Hi,

I will be going into yr 11 after the Summer holidays (break up Friday :yp: ) and as a result will be starting my Major Project in DT. I am doing resistant materials.

Now the problem is I don't have the foggiest idea what to make. Ideally it would be something I could use and be tailored to shooting/fishing etc. however this is not vital.

Here is the sheet we were given yesterday briefing us... (you may wish to skip this bit in bold)

What makes an excellent major project?

Choosing the right project for you is absolutely key to your success at GCSE.

Get the right project and the work will become a lot easier and enjoyable! You will be motivated to do more and you will really care about the quality of the outcome.

Get the wrong project and you will be sick of the sight of it by Christmas and there will still be a term and a half of it left to go. It will be too late to change your mind as well!

Simply WANTING to do the project though should not be your only consideration in choosing a project, thought it is a factor. A stronger consideration should be a project that will get you a good mark. Below are a number of considerations that you need to take into account before you make your final decision.

1. Is it something you REALLY want or need? The best projects are ones where you are making it FOR SOMEONE ELSE. That way you have a real CLIENT who you can use to get valuable reseatch and evaluation from because...

2. The first task is to get some research, so, do you know lots of places you can get information from? You'll need to researcg the history of the product, find out cultural references, consult experts in the field, collect images of similar products etc, etc, etc, If you think you might struggle to find out any information then think of another project.

3. Is it a project that will allow you to be creative, innovative and ORIGINAL? In the design phase you will have to come up with 6 pages of distinctly different idea! If you can only think of one way of making it then it is not a good project to choose.

4. Will it allow you to use a number of making processes? It has to be a good enough test of your design and making ability. Think of projects that include more complex joining methids, shaping, routing, rebating, use of CAM, decorative inlay etc., or uses a range of different resistant materials.

5. Size matters! Big is not beautiful! Try to keep the dimensions to something that will fit inside an A3 sized box. If your project is too big it will (a) be more expensive, (??? be unmanageable and © be difficult to store. Also mistakes are MAGNIFIED on larger projects and they never look well made. For all these reasons I simply will not allow vast projects!

Now that you know the parameters, you need to show me what initial thoughts you've had as regards to project idea. Try not to be too dogmatic about an idea. Match it up with all the considerations for'what makes and excellent and major project' If it scores highly on all accounts then it will be a very good choice. Also LISTEN to my advice, I KNOW what will make a good project or not!

You don't have to finally decide now, but by September you must have a definite idea on what you are going to make. if you can choose now then you've got the long, hot (we wish) summer to think about it and start collecting information because it will give your project a real headstart and the rest will be that much easier.

SO CONSIDER:-

• Do you have a client?
  • Can you find out lots of information (and not just from the internet)?
  • Will you be able to design it in lots of different ways and materials?
  • Will it be a good test of your making skills?
  • Will it fit inside an A3 sized box?

Right for those of you that skipped all that up there ^^ I was wondering what you guys did for your Major Project at school in resistant materials and whether anyone has any ideas as to what I could possibly do?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

FM :lol:

Edited by Ferret Master

I might be completely off here, but what about a shooting stool/seat, something that folds away, compact, strong enough, perhaps carry handles like a rucksack, also might have a bag/pouch area to hold some carts etc. Its simple with LOADS of different design ideas, your imagination is you only limit!

Good luck :yp:

:lol: D&T those were the days. In my final year i designed and built a fishing platform, and also associated rests and fold out tables. I bet things have moved on in the last 12 years (don't get to go any more) but i'm sure it is something you could come up with innovative designs for and combine different manufacturing methods and materials, metal work, plastics rubbers etc...

Not sure of the significance of resistant materials though... for someone who has been out of school for a while what does it mean to be doing resistant materials? :yp:

Im makeing a gunbox (which i have to say is easyeir said than done with an anti teacher) which in some form has to be dual perpouse and they say carryiing 2 guns and cleaning kit is not dual perpouse. you could make a cartridge magazine or something like that

FM

Many years ago I was a teach, gues which subject?

If I can help, I will, but I am a little out of touch.

My advise would be keep it simple. One idea that I have is for a game carrier/ carrying handle. You could make it from plastic, steel sheet, bent wire, aluminium casting, cast resin, get the idea. Now I'm not going to do the job for you. Do your design sheets, keep them neat and anotate them with notes. Keep the style of your work consistant, printing, colours used etc.

Just ask if you need any prompts, but check with your teacher before you go ahead paddling my canoe, as I am rather out of touch with what they are upto these days.

webber

i have a few ideas ollie

1. land rover defender steering guard

2. defender 90 snorkel

3. roof rack.

im fine with either, ill PM u my adress :yp:

on a serious note, a gun case would be good, and not to difficult to make.

i made a fully collapsable/fold away(i wish) air rifle target. basically my lecturer would help me so i ended up welding the whole thing together, which was completely different to my design brief, but i still came out with an A even though i screwed up my coursework as well.

good luck, and i hope they let u do what u want.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

The Autumn term is drawing ever closer and I am still struggling with what to make. :thanks:

I suggest the idea of a gun carrying case to my teacher and she said the ones that had been made in previous years were not exactly fantastic and there are only limited ways in which a box can be made to be a box. There is also the issue of trying to combine all 3 materials into the design without making it look tacky. :lol:

However... I still like this idea so it is being bared strongly in mind. I am about to try and dig out an old Shooting Times that had steph by step instructions on making a carrying case for a shotgun that i recall reading about 3 years back. :lol:

I may have to call upon the advice of those that have offered sometime if that is OK.

Resistant materials at my school is metalwork, woodwork and working with plastics as well.

The other courses being textiles, systems and control, graphics and food.

Im Doing Systems In The Same Year As You!

a stock for your air arms s410 :thanks::lol:

or a wall mounted gun rack??

A Mate Of Mine Is Doing Exactly That. ATM He Is Using Solidworks And Very Good It Looks Too!

QS

PM Me If You Would Like Help

Not strictly fishing/shooting but I made a fold-up chair based on one I had seen in Ikea. The only slightly tricky bit is working out the length of all the parts so the mechanism to fold it works, but after that it is pretty simple stuff. Got full marks for it as well :thanks:

It now takes pride of place in my room for stacking all my clothes up on, lol.

sjk

Guest stiv24
Resistant materials at my school is metalwork, woodwork and working with plastics as well.

The other courses being textiles, systems and control, graphics and food.

FM :thanks:

Do food and make a sandwich, for added difficulty you could toast it.........................glad I could help