2008 Badger Cull Petition

TomBASC

Asking for the help of all of the uk shooting community

As everyone knows the government is digging its heels in about implimenting the badger cull. Whilst these decision makers are sat in there offices in the middle of london making all the decisions and most have never even seen a real badger !

As you will probably also be aware with the cull in place it will also have an impact on the amount of deer that carry TB and will reduce numbers back down to a rarety as opposed to being quite common these days

By getting a petition with 10 thousand signatures on it will make the difference of wether the cull goes ahead or not

Please do your bit by signing the form at uk gamekeeper .com

If anyone is a member of other sites please feel free to copy and paste this around

Many thanks

*note to moderators please dont remove this thread as it will benefit all members that use it, It is not an effort to poach your members as you will see from the website there is only a petition on there and no other content

and signatures will only be implimented for putting to parliament.

Edited by TomBASC

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err - hold on a minute there -

Telegraph article showing that culling has little or no effect.

Wiping out a native animal should be based on good evidence. The evidence shows that it doesn't work.

Badgers have been virtually made extinct in Ireland and they have seen a rise in TB, not only that, they have far more TB than we have in England.

Cattle diseases of all kinds as well as bird flu are much more spread by animal trade than by wildlife. FMD went country wide because of the huge volume of trade in beasts same with Bernard Mafeew and his Bird Flue outbreak. The trade claimed it was spread by wild birds - ******** - Mafews was trucking in infected birds from near an outbreak in Hungary to a processing plant right next door to a massive turkey growing operation. The genetic footprint of the virus was identical to the Hungarian one, thrity miles away from where he was shipping in about four truckloads of turkey carcases a week. One of the farms I shoot on, the guy was a big dealer in sheep at the time of the FMD plague. He was buying hundreds, keeping them a few days and selling them on.

There are other solutions we could try - like vaccination. I'm a shooter to my bones, but part of that has to be preserving the wild species we have.

Edited by Evilv

"Asking for the help of all of the uk shooting community

As everyone knows the government is digging its heels in about implimenting the badger cull. Whilst these decision makers are sat in there offices in the middle of london making all the decisions and most have never even seen a real badger !

As you will probably also be aware with the cull in place it will also have an impact on the amount of deer that carry TB and will reduce numbers back down to a rarety as opposed to being quite common these days

By getting a petition with 10 thousand signatures on it will make the difference of wether the cull goes ahead or not

If anyone is a member of other sites please feel free to copy and paste this around

Many thanks "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the 'C' in BASC stands for conservation, why is a conservation body trying to put a protected species on the threatened species list? "reduce numbers back down to a rarety" Why?

Evilv's post makes interesting reading, and no doubt that both sides are tweaking the figures, but it's a fairly convincing argument that TB in cattle and the badger population is not connected.

"BBC News; The groups believe their assessment supports the view that bovine TB in Ireland is largely spread by the movement of cattle. They say the disease rocketed in Ireland when pre-movement TB testing for cattle was abandoned in 1996."

That sounds fairly convincing to myself, if it is true, but surely an independant report based on the Irish results should be carried out before decimating badger numbers in the UK?

Edited by bob300w

On one of my permissions badgers have reached epidemic proportions and with no natural predator to control them their impact on other wildlife is beyond belief.Yes I know they eat a lot of worms BUT only after they have eaten everything else!

On one of my permissions badgers have reached epidemic proportions and with no natural predator to control them their impact on other wildlife is beyond belief.Yes I know they eat a lot of worms BUT only after they have eaten everything else!

:hmm: Exactly what impact "beyond belief" have they had on your shoot? There are at least a dozen on my patch, I have yet to witness any harm to the shoot or farm. Their food is mostly carrion, mice, rats, worms and vegetable matter, which they are welcome to! :good:

Many thanks "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the 'C' in BASC stands for conservation, why is a conservation body trying to put a protected species on the threatened species list? "reduce numbers back down to a rarety" Why?

Evilv's post makes interesting reading, and no doubt that both sides are tweaking the figures, but it's a fairly convincing argument that TB in cattle and the badger population is not connected.

"BBC News; The groups believe their assessment supports the view that bovine TB in Ireland is largely spread by the movement of cattle. They say the disease rocketed in Ireland when pre-movement TB testing for cattle was abandoned in 1996."

That sounds fairly convincing to myself, if it is true, but surely an independant report based on the Irish results should be carried out before decimating badger numbers in the UK?

I could be wrong but doesn't he mean reduce tb numbers in deer down to a rarity? :good:

Many thanks "

I could be wrong but doesn't he mean reduce tb numbers in deer down to a rarity? :good:

Possibly, it's not worded too precise. But if it does, it only reflects on the latter question in the first paragraph of my post,

If badgers are giving deer TB (and I have seen no proof of this either) why has it not been a problem for the past 2000 plus years? Why now?

:D Exactly what impact "beyond belief" have they had on your shoot? There are at least a dozen on my patch, I have yet to witness any harm to the shoot or farm. Their food is mostly carrion, mice, rats, worms and vegetable matter, which they are welcome to! :hmm:

NO hedgehogs,no groundnesting birds. Your "dozen" are nothing like epidemic! :good: