Deepest divable depth

Axe

I dont think there are many divers on the forum who can exceed the 140ft or so that their training recommends.Most folk are recreational divers like me. The professional and REALLY hazardous stuff is a whole different science to get you to those depths.Most of us pootle around looking at the fish.

Having just watched through the 'Sphere' again on DVD it made me wonder about the depth the film would have you beleive they are diving at. So the question is, what is the deepest depth that a human can dive?

There are different types of diving.

The free diving requires no equipment just basic mask and fins

and can be done to depths around 150mtr.

Air diving is done with SCUBA equipment and the diver breathes

compressed air, safe depths to about 60mtr but some divers do

dive deeper.

Nitrox diving which is oxygen enriched air and depths can be

slightly deeper than normal air.

Then there is the big mesters diving.

Tri mix gases and Heliox. Trimix, Oxygen, Helium and Nigtrogen.

Heliox is a mix of helium and oxygen.

Diver useing trimix can and do dive to 300mtr but those depths are

extrem and mostley only done be commercial divers working on

oil platforms or the navy

Trimix is now used by sport divers and they regulary dive to 150mtr.

The big problem with diving is the pressure.

Under water the pressure on there bodies increas so the body of the

diver absorbes more gas than you would on the surface.

Because this gas is in the body it has to be released slowly otherwise

it would just expand into bubbles and damage the diver, causeing the

BENDS.

This is why diver have to decompress after doing long or deep dives.

The other problem is that the air which we breath on the surface becomes

poison at depth so that is why different gasses are used.

ozone

Edited by taz24

A guy I dhoot with works as a diver on rigs... He uses Helox and mentioned something about spending a month in decompression after a job. Apparently Helox ruins your sense of smell as well as making your voice high-pitched. That can be quite useful when you are in a diving bell for a number of days with several other blokes. (apparently)

Just found the write up on the american 2000ft dive last year. Pretty impressive, mind you the ADS suit he was wearing was more like a human shaped submarine. Still pretty inpressive.

My dad was a keen diver years ago, I always remember being dragged around the country so he could dive the various offshore wrecks etc.

The idea of seeing human structures unde the water gives me the creeps, don't ask me why though. I wouldn't have a problem in natural surroundings just dark places created by man, that shouldn't be there. Whats all that about eh?!

The idea of seeing human structures unde the water gives me the creeps, don't ask me why though. I wouldn't have a problem in natural surroundings just dark places created by man, that shouldn't be there. Whats all that about eh?!

Don`t worry it`s just your age :good::hmm:

A guy I dhoot with works as a diver on rigs... He uses Helox and mentioned something about spending a month in decompression after a job. Apparently Helox ruins your sense of smell as well as making your voice high-pitched. That can be quite useful when you are in a diving bell for a number of days with several other blokes. (apparently)

Yes thats correct.

The divers live in chambers that are pressurised to the depth that they work at.

They live and work at that pressure for weeks and it makes it more cost effective.

By keeping a team of divers on duty at all times they can work, rest and play at depth

and not have to decompress all the time.

When the come off duty they just crane the chamber onto a ship and sail them home

slowly decompressing the divers as they do. It takes days to totaly equalise the pressures.

As for the no sense of smell and voice changes. Our bodies are designed to work at surface

pressure ( 1bar) and on air (20% oxygen 80% nitrogen). The increase in pressure and the

change of gasses effect the vocal cords and nose, smell receptors.

Its a hard short working life for a saturated diver. The pressure on the body cause bone weakness

and some saturation diver's suffer brittle bones as they get older.

Also completley off topic the % of baby girls born to divers is a lot higher than non divers. Its the

male sperm which dictates the sex of the baby and studies proove that diving dads have girls as

babies ( I have two daughters).

Cheers ozone.

Edited by taz24

Having just watched through the 'Sphere' again on DVD it made me wonder about the depth the film would have you beleive they are diving at. So the question is, what is the deepest depth that a human can dive?

Nitrox diving which is oxygen enriched air and depths can be

slightly deeper than normal air.

Not totally true, Nitrox is better for intermediate depths for longet but at depth the Nitrogen isnt an issue but the increased oxygen in the mix becomes poisonous. for example a diver using a normal breathing mix 21% Oxygen 79% Nitrogen can dive to 40M for 8mins without doing a decompression stop. However on a 36% Oxygen Mix Eanx (Nitrox) Mix the Max depth is now 34M for 26mins providing no deco stop is req'd

So Eanx (Nitrox) is better for the intermediate depths for longer duration not necessarily deeper, It has been said to reduce the narcotic effect of Nitrogen Narcosis as well, Problem is Oxygen is poisonous at just 7m if it is 100%

Also completley off topic the % of baby girls born to divers is a lot higher than non divers. Its the

male sperm which dictates the sex of the baby and studies proove that diving dads have girls as

Cheers ozone.

Thats interesting, Where does that info come from? I will be a dad in 5 weeks and im convinced its a girl if its a girl that would be spooky. I wander why Divers tend to have girls then? mmm. pretty weird

Like Axe I have always thought wrecks and other man made stuff a bit sinister. On my dives I freely admit to always feeling an element of,well just that,being out of my element.Even at recreational diving depths the pressure is amazing and painful when I had problems equalising. I hope to do the Thistlegorm someday or to get back to Saudi Arabia.

Cheers ozone.

Thats interesting, Where does that info come from? I will be a dad in 5 weeks and im convinced its a girl if its a girl that would be spooky. I wander why Divers tend to have girls then? mmm. pretty weird

There have been 2 studies that I know of, but I can’t quote them so

the evidence is purely anecdotal. In my club of all the babies born

to diving dads over a 20 year period of the babies born that I can

remember there were 17 girls to 2 boys.

ozone

Ive been diving for 30 odd years deepest Ive been on air is 70 meters or 229 feet! ( bloody stupid but was a bit younger)

all my kids are girls ( had 4) brought up 7 ( remarried)

oh and for the chap who mentioned the thistlegorm don't bother 30 minimum dive boats per day with 12 divers x 7 days per week 52 weeks per year means its nowt but a tourist jaunt,( it was ok 20 years ago) get yourself off the Ilse's of west Scotland take a hammer and chisel with you?

cheers KW