Is it worth swapping a CZ 452 style for a ruger 10/22?

gixer1

As I recall the 10/22 I had twenty five years ago worked ok on HV ammo but not on subs - at least not reliably.

It was never as accurate as my CZ is though - but I said that earlier on in this thread.

See if he'll give you the CZ back. That would be the best thing all round except for the gunsmith, so he probably won't.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to get the rifle back. Really though in my opinion the rfd had no choice as the rifle was clearly not fit for purpose if you have had that many problems with it. All the best with the cz and next time you ask for advice TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Steve b

• 2 years later...

Oh dear oh dear,

All the people who don't own guns or don't own 10/22's are coming out to bash them.

I own one, I have put several thousand rounds through it, shot thousands of rabbits with it but hang on a minute I can't have done because they jam up all the time and aren't accurate.

My only real answer to all the people who say this is.

"EITHER YOU CAN SHOOT OR YOU CAN'T"

I know what part of that I fall into, what about you?

Edited by MC

Oh dear oh dear,

All the people who don't own guns or don't own 10/22's are coming out to bash them.

I own one, I have put several thousand rounds through it, shot thousands of rabbits with it but hang on a n=minute I can't have done because they jam up all the time and aren't accurate.

My only real answer to all the people who say this is.

"EITHER YOU CAN SHOOT OR YOU CAN'T"

I know what part of that I fall into, what about you?

well i had the pleasure (not sure thats the correct way to say it) of having owned a 10/22 twice, and the only thing i would do with one is use it as an anchor and to be honest i think it might fail at doing that well.

been shooting since i was 6 years old served time in the forces, and qualified as a military small arms instructor and ended up as a fully qualified marksman before my tours of northern Ireland , i then moved up to become a schools gunnery instructor on all the weapon systems from a 22lr anschutz target rifle to a challenger main battle tank.

i do not profess to being the be all and end all of shooters but i can hold my own on any range or in the field, and i class the 10/22 as a ongoing project rifle for those with a bottomless wallet who want that sort of rifle.

kind regards and apologies to 10/22 users.

just my opinion.

bob.

Edited by scotland rifles

I fail to see why it should be an ongoing project.

I have a bog standard albeit deluxe model and it has 2 modification to it, one is the quick release for the bolt and the other is the recoil buffer. At a local rifle club they have a clamp for batch and group testing ammunition.

I have had my 10/22 in it and have have 13mm groups at 50 metres with it, using Eley match ammo. Winchester subs opened up a little but not a great deal and certainly nothing to worry about.

If I am out shooting rabbits and I miss I have never thought "Bloody Rugers, I wish I had bought a CZ" a rifle is only as accurate as the person firing it.

I have owned a 10/22 and wasn't too impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything "mechanically" wrong with the rifle, I just did not feel comfortable with it. OK, having that follow on shot available with any semi auto can be a usefull thing at times but the bolt action is more accurate than a semi auto so you are much less likely to need a follow up shot anyway! ;)

I "might" be a little biased as I am an outright CZ/Bruno fan anyway but the build quality and reliability of the CZ/Bruno range of rifles will take a bit of beating mate. At the end of the day though it is you that is going to be shooting (And repairing/replacing) the rifle so only you can decide!!!!!

1,I fail to see why it should be an ongoing project.

2,a rifle is only as accurate as the person firing it.

MC. I'm not having a go mate,

the 2 sections in the quote brackets above are the things we all do weather its a ruger or a cz/custom built .20 tactical as in my case etc,

1, a rifle you have to spend money on the get it to do what it should do out the box is never a good sign (granted there are lots that shoot OK out of the box) but the overall picture in my mind is you pay good money for the things in life and if they don't do/have what they should from the start then there is a fundamental error there for us all to see and the 2 rugers i had where total pants.or am i the only one who has had a bad one ! twice.

2, if the rifle will not shoot never mind who's behind it, and that includes cycling ammo irrespective of type quantity calibre etc, then if the rifle has not instilled reliability in its use, just how on earth can you be confident to use it........accurately.

bob.

Nobody is saying you are having a go, far from it.

As I have said I have had a 10/22 for about 5 years, I bought it new on the advice of a friend. He actually got it for me trade price as well. Also I have spent no money on it to get it to shoot. The only ammo it doesn't like are Remingtons and I believe this is because they are actually a bit shorter than the norm and they feed out the wrong angle. However I am going to try some more tonight.

The two mods that I have done did not need to be done, The rifle worked straight from the box. Most of my shooting with it is either standing of sticks or out the top of a truck and I don't miss that many. As said before when I do I don't lame the rifle, 100% of the time a miss is down to me. However with a 10/22 the next round is loaded before you have even relaised you have missed.

Yes I fully appreciate that you can buy every custom part available for them to "TRICK THEM UP" however they are not needed and are a waste of money. You can buy loads of "BOLT ON " parts for a Vauxhall Corsa but you don't need them to get to work in it do you? (On second thoughts you might as it is a Vauxhall)

I also have a CZ .17HMR and a Anschutz 1813 Supermatch target rifle and they all have their place. I wouldn't expect a Ruger or CZ to be anywhere near the quality of the Anschutz, but then they are about a tenth of the price now.

The Rearsight on my RPA fullbore target rifle cost more than a 10/22 or CZ so you just cannot compare them like for like.

And point 2,

.22 ammunition is not that accurate, it is a slow lumber heavy piece of lead. I have a shooting friend who regularly goes to Eley to batch test Tenex match ammo, he has had several barrels on his Anschutz 2013 and his groups are tight but still not as tight as you would expect from that sort of equipment.

Nobody is saying you are having a go, far from it.

As I have said I have had a 10/22 for about 5 years, I bought it new on the advice of a friend. He actually got it for me trade price as well. Also I have spent no money on it to get it to shoot. The only ammo it doesn't like are Remingtons and I believe this is because they are actually a bit shorter than the norm and they feed out the wrong angle. However I am going to try some more tonight.

The two mods that I have done did not need to be done, The rifle worked straight from the box. Most of my shooting with it is either standing of sticks or out the top of a truck and I don't miss that many. As said before when I do I don't lame the rifle, 100% of the time a miss is down to me. However with a 10/22 the next round is loaded before you have even relaised you have missed.

Yes I fully appreciate that you can buy every custom part available for them to "TRICK THEM UP" however they are not needed and are a waste of money. You can buy loads of "BOLT ON " parts for a Vauxhall Corsa but you don't need them to get to work in it do you? (On second thoughts you might as it is a Vauxhall)

I also have a CZ .17HMR and a Anschutz 1813 Supermatch target rifle and they all have their place. I wouldn't expect a Ruger or CZ to be anywhere near the quality of the Anschutz, but then they are about a tenth of the price now.

The Rearsight on my RPA fullbore target rifle cost more than a 10/22 or CZ so you just cannot compare them like for like.

And point 2,

.22 ammunition is not that accurate, it is a slow lumber heavy piece of lead. I have a shooting friend who regularly goes to Eley to batch test Tenex match ammo, he has had several barrels on his Anschutz 2013 and his groups are tight but still not as tight as you would expect from that sort of equipment.

all fare comment MC, i must say its nice to be open about things and not have a MOD on your back asking you to wind it down a bit.(i like the vauxhall bit ;):hmm: )

does you batch tester friend have ginger hair by any chance. ?

bob.

I was speaking to my local gunsmith and he was saying i could swap my cz 452 style (which is about 3-4months old) for one of the ruger 10/22, he has a few of the walnut model ones and i will keep the moderator, sling and scope off my cz and he said he will give me mounts for my scope to fit the ruger.

To be honest there is nothing at all wrong with the cz but i just fancy a semi-auto and the rugers are the pick of the bunch with all the aftermarket bits.

Your opinions are welcomed with pro's and cons...

Thanks,

Garry. (gixer1)

Keep your cz 10/22 have a tendancy to jam & you don't want that when your out bunny bashing.

Keep your cz 10/22 have a tendancy to jam & you don't want that when your out bunny bashing.

;)

10/22's are ammo fussy, the same as every other semi auto. mine hates subs and most standard rounds, loves high velocity. it prefers remingtons, either yellow jacket high v's or the standard target rounds. rarely get a jam with those two brands :hmm:

1, a rifle you have to spend money on the get it to do what it should do out the box is never a good sign (granted there are lots that shoot OK out of the box) but the overall picture in my mind is you pay good money for the things in life and if they don't do/have what they should from the start then there is a fundamental error there for us all to see and the 2 rugers i had where total pants.or am i the only one who has had a bad one ! twice.

bob.

But Bob, isn't that exactly what a custom rifle is? Or a rifle that's been blueprinted? ;):hmm:

But Bob, isn't that exactly what a custom rifle is? Or a rifle that's been blueprinted? ;):hmm:

you are correct, when you enter a deal for a custom rifle as we do, you do expect it to work, and so should a rifle that is from the factory, if you purchased a car and went to get it and it did not work correctly you would take it back, as in a 10/22 you would not have to get bits at extra cost to make it work in its basic form,

bob.

Was out last night on the bunnies with Glensman (a 10/22 owner), he tried my CZ for the 1st time and I must admit he was seriously impressed. He will tell you that himself. Don't get me wrong his gun 100% looks the part but I wouldn't swap.

Was out last night on the bunnies with Glensman (a 10/22 owner), he tried my CZ for the 1st time and I must admit he was seriously impressed. He will tell you that himself. Don't get me wrong his gun 100% looks the part but I wouldn't swap.

Ollie's CZ is the muts nuts, I LOVE it. But I wouldn't even consider swapping my 10/22 for it, although it's a 10/22T. I would have the Style over a standard 10/22.

One of the things to consider is whether you wanna customise, if you do, go with the 10/22!

you are correct, when you enter a deal for a custom rifle as we do, you do expect it to work, and so should a rifle that is from the factory, if you purchased a car and went to get it and it did not work correctly you would take it back, as in a 10/22 you would not have to get bits at extra cost to make it work in its basic form,

bob.

Well you can ask ollie the range I was shooting with using my 10/22T last night, off sticks. I slightly mis-judged bullet drop but it wasn't an inch out right or left! I don't know how they got such a bad press, especially considering most of the accessories available for a 10/22 don't even claim to improve accuracy!