Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes

Axe

Having bought a pack of peppered smoked mackerel fillets for my tea the other day, I decided to use the last two fillets to make fish cakes for myself and the wife. The last time I made fishcakes with Mackerel, I followed a recipe from Saturday Kitchen and it went horribly wrong. So this time, I decided to see how much I had learnt from all these programs and made my own recipe.

I must say I was very happy with the result and two clean plates were testimony to this. I am that made up with them, that i'd like to share the simple recipe with you. The recipe is for two hungry people, I was surprised at how far two fillets went. In reality, the next time I do this I will use all three fillets in the pack and make it for all the family.

Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes

Ingredients

2 - Peppered Smoked Mackerel Fillets

3 - Medium Potatoes

1/2 - Medium Red Onion

1/2tsp - Cumin

3/4tsp - Turmeric

1tsp - Corriander (Ground)

1-2 Eggs

1cup Breadcrumbs

1/2cup Flour

Olive Oil to fry

Method

Peel and quarter the potatoes and boil for 15mins or until soft. Meanwhile, remove the skin from the mackerel fillets and shred into a bowl. Finely chop the red onion and add to the bowl. Sprinkle the Cumin, Turmeric and Coriander over the ingredients and mix together. Drain the potatoes and mash and allow to cool a little. Add to the bowl, enough mash to to at least equal the quantity of mixture, or more to make it go further. Divide into equal portions and make into rounds about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Dust each cake with the flour, dip in the egg and coat with the bread crumbs. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and pour in enough oil to cover its base. Fry the cakes on both sides until golden. I served this with a salad of chopped celery and leaves and coleslaw.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• 4 months later...

Nice one Axe - I managed to make half a dozen out of a mixed pack of peppered and plain smoked fillets. Four for supper last night and (such was the plan) two for lunch today. But I've left them sitting in the fridge... :rolleyes:

I oven baked mine with a little dribble of oil (40 minutes at about 180 degrees) and they were deliciously crisp. Top marks.

:D

LS

That sounds really good Axe and I think I may just have to pepper smoke some bass fillets to give it a try. :D

NTTF

and what is the chance of you catching the Bass to smoke, I have seen you with your Rod out and its not long enough to get to the fishy bits :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

tried the original recipe and loved it, thanks Axe

Though i'd try a variation on it....worked out rather well...

Thai Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes

Ingredients

2 - Smoked Mackerel Fillets

3 - Medium Potatoes

1 - Spring Onion

2tblsp - Basil (fresh)

2tblsp - Coriander (fresh)

1tblsp - Thai Red Curry paste

1 Egg (beaten)

Sesame seeds

Olive Oil to fry

Method

Peel and quarter the potatoes and boil for 15mins or until soft. Meanwhile, remove the skin from the mackerel fillets and shred into a bowl. Finely chop the Spring Onion, Coriander and Basil and add to the bowl. Add the Red Curry Paste and mix together along with the egg. Drain the potatoes and mash and allow to cool a little. Add to the bowl, enough mash to to at least equal the quantity of mixture, or more to make it go further. Divide into equal portions and make into rounds about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Sprinkle sesame seeds on both sides of each cake. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and pour in a little olive oil. Fry the cakes on both sides until golden. I served this with a salad of mixed leaves drizzled with lime juice and thai fish sauce

such is the praise on this posting I am building a smoker to make my own smokies when they come in. Last year we caught so many friends and family were sick of mackeral. Maybe the fish cakes will change their mind!

thanks for the info Axe.

Edited by DTH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw on another, cooking, forum a method of making fish cakes without potato and they used mashed & cooked prawns instead. Could be worth a try ?

cant beat fresh mackeral when in season garlic little chille black pepper sea salt and a few mashed old taties not new ones and a little butter