nissan navara

happyhunt

My neighbour works for a power company and has a job Navara. He has had big problems with the suspension but that was partly due to it being beefed up to carry the loads he carries. His engine blew up a few weeks ago. He told me that you cant just buy a new engine for one but they will sell you all the parts to make a new one.

He tells me 14 of their fleet have had the same peoblem.

I would go Mitsibushi.

Harry

I have one (03 plate), Were shall I start......

Horrible dash and interior, windscreen and side windows mist up quickly and blower hardly clears them, paint peels on the wheel arches, turning circle like a cruise liner, aformentioned con rod going although touch wood mine has been ok.

No real plus points although it is realtivly quick, alright towing and ok for the moderate off road driving i do.

Ill be getting either a L200 or a disco 3 comercial next year, wouldnt touch another navara again

Edited by paulf

I've spoken to a person I know who works at Nissan today and they told me that the Navarra's had an engine problem, if they go passed 5,000 miles they'll last for ages but, they've had a lot in for warranty work due the engines having a serious anomally when they have less then 5k on the clock. I've also been told that the new Qashqai +2 7 seaters are having problems with electrics and body panel fitment as they are littered all over the factory in Washington..................so I was told.

I bought a double cab Navara brand new in 2004, 41k miles later it suffered con rod failure (smashed a massive hole in the side of engine) whilst I was doing 70mph down the motorway on my way to work. Fortunately the roads were quiet and there wasnt an accident etc.

Turned out the damage wasnt covered under warranty so we sold the vehicle for next to nothing and have only just finished paying the finance off recently.

I now have a 10 year old frontera that has out done the pathetic Nissan time and time again with minimal trouble.

Look here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...nt+buy+a+nissan

Edited by monkeyjaimz

We have one on the game farm, outlaw, on an 06, had a few issues, electronic 4wd switch kept breaking, bloody handy that!, gear box popped,and serious clutch issues which we had to fight tooth and nail to get fixed under the war'.

A local shoot had 2 d22 nissans, one was actually snapped in half, they have all gone to mitsi now.

as said just look on autotrader and see how many are cheap due to new engine required and then check the number that have had replacement engines and it puts you right off them. You can't get second hand engines for any kind of sensible price either as they are in demand and as said the failure does write the engine off so no chance of repairing.

Go toyota or Mitsubishi just watch for porous heads on L200's between 01 and 05, I bought mine with one which isn't a mega repair bill as you can get head castings cheap but it is one of the regular failures on them. Other than that a top truck

I have one of the new type Navara Aventura pickups 1 year old done 22000 miles (mostly off road in 4 x 4) apart from it's delivery 'service' it's had 1 service 18000 miles as the book says. It's a work vehicle pure and simple and works b***** hard and I don't look after it (never been cleaned just power washed over to get the worst of the mud off) and I wouldn't want to be the second owner :rolleyes: . The only fault I can find with it is the fuel consumption but that could be down to it's off road work and the fact that it's got HUGE tyres on it! Basically I've no complaints about them. (hope I haven't broken the spell by posting this :stupid: )

thanks guys, some serious & costly problems there then,I shall avoid at all costs,

wasnt sure about the L200 as they seem to have a worse turning circle and are woefully underpowered,do they benefit from being chipped???

regards

happy

Oh Yes!!!!! we have had an old one chipped, what a difference for towing, turning circle isnt great great and fuel consumpton is heavier, but its the one i choose to use!

Bit of a design flaw with the oil pump and bearings in the Navara engine. A lot of it appears to be the fact that lead is no longer used in the manufacture of bearings of modern EU vehicles (the USA still put lead in). The lead content enables long term lubrication. This potentially means that all new vehicles will not hit the 200K + milleage

Apart from that the Navra is a great vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
Bit of a design flaw with the oil pump and bearings in the Navara engine. A lot of it appears to be the fact that lead is no longer used in the manufacture of bearings of modern EU vehicles (the USA still put lead in). The lead content enables long term lubrication. This potentially means that all new vehicles will not hit the 200K + milleage

Apart from that the Navra is a great vehicle.

How ridiculous is that?!!!?

It's not as if the bearing material is chucked out into the environment like the old tetra-ethyl lead in fuel was. How insane are those lefty swine in the EU Commission and Parliament. I never heard anything so stupid. How much environmental damage does it cause to have to replace entire engines rather than have them last for ever and a day like they used to?

A few Navara owners are replacing the bearings with the upgraded (lead containing) bearings available from the USA and also upgrading the con rods.

If anyone has a D22 Navara check out the following.

http://www.nissan-navara.net/forum/viewtop...?f=3&t=1983

Should cost around £500. Once done there is no reason why you shouldn't get 250k out of the engine, making it a great value vehicle - as there are a lot of 'cheap' secound hand ones for sale.

True. I had a Vauxhall Astra with an Isuzu engine and had no problems in 230k of driving. The problem is that car manufacturer's get a good name for themselves - get taken over then try to cut costs, over engineer, outsource manufacture or design or have legislation imposed on what they can use in manufacture and the new model can be a load of **** - look at the newer Hilux's.

Basically, just because previous Isuzu's were good doesn't mean that the next models will be.

Oh and I love Landy's, but lets be honest - they are unreliable, drive like ****, thirsty, expensive and to be honest not that great off road. "bricks on wheels"

The new Isuzu is impressive, just as solid as its predecessor. I agree with the comments about the new Hilux though. I'm fortunate enough to do a job where I get to try most of these vehicles out regularly in rough, agricultural conditions, and I really wouldn't bother with a Navara when better alternatives are available.