cartridges

Maskey

I use 15/16 fibre 8's. they seem to do the trick and the recoil realy isnt a problem. If you are new to clay shooting I would use whatever you are provided with, because 4g of powder isnt going to make a noticable difference at the start.

4 GRAMS OF POWDER? That would be your meeting with St. Peter organised! :good:

I know you mean SHOT! I agree, 24 grams is fine! As a matter of fact, I go lower; I shoot 21 grams most of the time these days.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Learn to shoot at the right piece of sky and it won't matter what the cartidge, shot size or choke is.

I even bought some steel shot the other day and couldn't tell the diffrence, shot 27/30 and cleaned up on the pool shoot ( pure fluke really)

Modern cartidges are so good they will be better than my shooting is the forseable future.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of newbie's seem to thing bigger loads and faster velocities will give them an advantage. WRONG!!

Their theory is that more lead in the air, and a faster delivery will mean needing less skill ( ie bigger pattern and less observed lead = more scores) WRONG!!!

Choke determines pattern diameter, and its the same for 21g / 24g / 28g 32g - more pellets does NOT equal a bigger pattern, a more open choke does.

1650 fps muzzle velocity will blow a pattern to pieces. The best carts rely on their competition reputation and don't quote MV. Best patterns come from relatively slow OVs, 1250 / 1300 fps Observed Velocity. Anything that leaves the barrel slows to about 1100 fps in the first 10 yds or so, and the really fast quoted speeds make about 4-6" true difference on a 30 yd target, while they have happily chucked a good portion of the pellets into a ragged edge string that has insufficient density to break anything.

Many long term shooters ( including myself) have found that lighter loads give higher scores. Why, simple - big fast loads cause lots on impact on the body - this creates reaction and fatigue. Bottom line is nice light loads mean no sore shoulders, cheek bones, and no rattled brain, so the mind can concentrate of getting the pattern where it counts, on the target to break it.

Stay light and WIN

Jerry

I have to agree with clayman. I bought a slab of Hull Comp x 21 gram for my wife as they produce hardly any recoil. I took them to my local shoot last sunday to have a go with them and hit 42 / 50. My best ever is only 43 / 50 and that was some time ago.

I am now a convert to light loads.

24 definitely. Get some fantastic long breaks with Lyalvale Express 24g HVs

Brad

Have you tried the High Velocity 21 grams? I've been trying them for the last month and my scores haven't dropped one bit.

Bargain too at £128 per 1000.

Si i have seen you shoot your scores couldnt drop much lower LOL :hmm:

Just to offer a different perspective; the felt recoil from a cartridge can often be down to the powder/components used by a manufacturer.

To give an example, I have used Hull CompX 28g for a while. I picked up a limited stock of CompX in 21g and remain very impressed. However, due to unavailability, I swapped to 24g Express Super Comps. Having a mix in my pocket, I was very suprised how much more thumpy the 24g Super Comp was over the 21g CompX. As an acid test, I dropped in a 28g CompX and I found barely any difference between it and the 24g Super Comp.

Currently trying the 28g Express World Cup and at 1500 fps, appreciably more recoil than some 28g clay cartridges.

So, to cut a long story short, look at the specs of the cartridge, might help make your decision.

Edited by Ninj

Ninj,

A good post from you, you've obviously done your homework, however it's clear that no manufacturer will admit to producing a shell that's hard on the shoulder.

The only way to find out is to try them yourself, forget the gobblydegook that's printed on the cartridge boxes, it's how it feels to you when you pull the trigger that matters.

I've also tried the Hull 21 gram loads, it's pretty similar to the recoil you get from an airgun,....amazing..!!

Cat.

Absolutely agree Cat. I am always painfully aware of not getting paranoid about cartridge choice, but in this case, it was stark! Definately try a variety of shells from all of the manufacturers and form your own opinion. FPS is not always a good measure of recoil, but couple a high FPS and a cheap cartridge and you'll more often than not find a thumpy recoil.

FPS is obviously another debate, but once you settle on a cartridge, stick with it for a couple of thousand (I will one of these days!!)

:good:

Edited by Ninj

• 3 weeks later...

Bought some Express Supreme Comp 28g 7.5 the other day. Got a good deal on them (£49 for 250). They kick a bit but WOW! Hit noticeably more clays using these than usual. Less lead was required as they are fast. They also look nice too, nearly half the length of the case is brass! Usually use Express HV 24g, but the performance of these supreme comps is noticeably better. A slightly bruised shoulder was well worth it :yes:

Brad

Edited by beardy_bradderz