Storing 12B O&U, without snap caps?

Nial

I bought my first gun today, I don't have snap caps for it.

When storing it should I fire it off then bump the stock off my foot and fire the

other chamber to release the spring pressure on the firing pins, or is it better

just to close it and stick it away like that?

Thanks for any opinions,

Nial.

I bought my first gun today, I don't have snap caps for it.

When storing it should I fire it off then bump the stock off my foot and fire the

other chamber to release the spring pressure on the firing pins, or is it better

just to close it and stick it away like that?

Thanks for any opinions,

Nial.

Do not fire it off :yes: could do more harm than good :hmm:

Ive never used snap caps when storing guns ,just clean it and put it away :good:

Ok its time to make myself look a complete dumb***........

What does bumping the stock do?

Sorry I know...stupid question :good:

On an O/U the recoil from the first shot sets the trigger ready for the second. If you 'dry fire' the gun, i.e. with out carts or with snap caps you can only fire the first barrel, bumping the stock (giving it a smack with your hand on the recoil pad) emulates the recoil from a fired cart and initialises the second trigger.

Do not fire it off ??? could do more harm than good :hmm:

Why, what damage will it do (honest beginners question)?

It simulates the first cartrige being fired and switches the trigger to the other

one to allow you to fire it off.

Nial.

Come on Nick, think about it...

On a related note, I bought a second hand Lanber from a guy at work and took it out today with Nickb himself. My first shot was a rather disappointing click, that (after 30 seconds of assuming it was a misfire) turned out to be a lack of firing pin in the lower barrel. I had it for a few days before today, in which time I let the pins down on snap caps once. Do we think this was enough to do the damage (I didn't find any bits of pin in the action this morning), or did I just get ripped off?

On a related note, I bought a second hand Lanber from a guy at work and took it out today with Nickb himself. My first shot was a rather disappointing click, that (after 30 seconds of assuming it was a misfire) turned out to be a lack of firing pin in the lower barrel. I had it for a few days before today, in which time I let the pins down on snap caps once. Do we think this was enough to do the damage (I didn't find any bits of pin in the action this morning), or did I just get ripped off?

Surely all the snap caps do is simulate a cartridge so that shouldn't have done any damage.

I also had a dissapointing click on the first shot with my first gun, only to realise the safety was on :good:

Nial.

I also had a dissapointing click on the first shot with my first gun, only to realise the safety was on :good:

Lol. I've seen snap caps that look spring loaded. These ones just look like brass inserts in the primer area that gets indented by the pin. So might impart a shock to the pins that break them. Nah, buying a gun with a broken pin sounds more likely.

Do not fire it off ??? could do more harm than good ???

Why, what damage will it do (honest beginners question)?

It simulates the first cartrige being fired and switches the trigger to the other

one to allow you to fire it off.

Nial.

The firing pin would not have the primer or snap cap to stop it so would go out further than normal and possibly stay out so when you open the gun could damadge the firing pin .

Just to add to this not all guns use the recoil system for instance on the lincoln if you have a misfire you can still use the second barrel ???

Hope this helps :hmm:

Edited by magman

I always used a pair of FIRED caridges, Just make sure they are completely empty and clean, Obviously just test fire safely first time,

thats the worst idea I've heard, they look like cartridges and it would be very easy to mistake them for live ones that hadn't been removed. Guns are fine stored without snap caps

as long as you are using your gun regularly i don't think you need to use snapcaps

can't remeber the last time i went in to have a look at a new shottie and the dealer removed the snapcaps first or when i bought one brand new and it came delivered with free snapcaps !!!!!!!

check in your gun manual too, not sure it mentions anything about them in mine though

just something else to buy as far as i am concerned, if i wasn't using my gun for a long time i might use them

fired cartridges, **** the bed, no don't do it - ever

I always used a pair of FIRED caridges, Just make sure they are completely empty and clean, Obviously just test fire safely first time,

thats the worst idea I've heard, they look like cartridges and it would be very easy to mistake them for live ones that hadn't been removed. Guns are fine stored without snap caps

Wouldn't achieve anything either. The primer has already been indented so there is no shock absorbsion properties remaining in the primer so firing the pins into a hard surface will do them no good at all.

I can't really see the need to use them on a modern ejector gun at all. :friends: Surely all they will do is put pressure on the ejectors if you let the tension off the firing pin springs?

FM :)

I've just been told by a BASC guy I'm trying to plan a meeting with to discuss

general gun safety/care etc that I don't need snap caps. He said to just close

the gun and put it away.

Nial.

Best Idea..... snap caps serve no purpose but to transfer the loading off the hammer spring and onto the ejector springs when the trigger is pulled. Since ejector springs are generally more expensive and harder to fix I'd not bother with using snap caps.

Secondly when storing the gun, especially a wooden gun, take the forend off and stand it somewhere safe in the cabinet, and store the gun muzzle down. This will prevent any oil residue fron soaking onto the wooden forend or stock which will eventually lead to the wood being softened and the gun coming apart, and will also stop any oil residues dropping down the firing pin hole and gumming up the mechanisms over a period of time. :good:

Edited by Agentfunky

Modern guns have modern springs, made of the same stuff as the valve springs in your car.

If you feel the urge to "release" the tension in your guns springs, you'd better consider letting the head nuts off in your car every night too.

Snaps do nothing to preserve modern steel springs in modern guns, really only relevant of you have an old gun with hammered leaf springs that are worth letting the tension out of.

A cars valve springs are still good after 50 million reciprocations, and your gun will be knackered after 100,000 or so shots through it, with the springs still good for another 49,900,000 shots.

Snaps have their place and uses ( training aids and gun testing), but for storage purposes, you'll not gain any worthwhile advantage using them in terms of gun life.

Modern guns have modern springs, made of the same stuff as the valve springs in your car.

If you feel the urge to "release" the tension in your guns springs, you'd better consider letting the head nuts off in your car every night too.

Clayman, thanks for a bit of 'engineering' input to the discussion to back up the general consensus.

Having said that I have a mini and have changed heads so many times in the past I may as well

have 'released the tension' every night.

Or is that a euphemism? :good:

Nial

Surely all the snap caps do is simulate a cartridge so that shouldn't have done any damage.

Nial.

how did you work that out if the safty is on it wont click if it could click it would go off?????:yes:???