New toy

Topgunners

I visited the Midland Game Fair on Saturday and amongst all the goodies I bought I went to Paul Hart's stall and bought a load of decoys and also the crow calling decoy. Sounded good in the stall but nothing like trying it out in the field.

After my early morning trip for the geese I drove over to a farm that was combining, ploughing, sowing etc and sat watching the guy ploughing a field where some rooks and magpies were dropping in behind him and decided to set up at the end of the field he had done.

Put up the hide and then a dozen decoys with the magnet to the left and the NEW TOY as the head bird in the pattern.

It is a full-bodied decoy with a built in crow caller with 2 settings. No.1 is a continuous call and No.2 is an intermittent call with a start delay. It also comes with a mounting stick which fits into a neat little pocket in the side of the decoy.

I switched it on to the number 2 setting which gives you 90 seconds to get back into your hide and then it starts to play intermittent calls . some long, some short, some quiet, some manic and then I had 3 fly straight in to the pattern . I took loads of photographs of different size birds , but I was more interested in the way the birds came in.

They were coming in a straight line from over 800yards away (2 fields) and heading straight for the calling decoy and not the magnet. But best of all, everyone of them flew in low and I had none circling high first, as they normally do. I took a fair few minutes of footage of them flighting in.

First impressions are that these work as good, even better than the e-caller and I am promptly going to order some more straight away.

:good: :good: :good::lol:

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully recommended.

Got some brilliant close-up photos of the birds as they landed.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I will be trying it out again this week,as i'm now on holiday and will keep you all informed.

You are onto a winner here Paul.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

I hope you realize it's illegal to use any electronic call for shooting feathered vermin.

No problem if the call is used for photographic purposes ... but shooting is a no-no. blush.gif

Very unwise to broadcast your results

I think Dave probably used the call to attract the crows and not to shoot them as you stated above. I recon a 12 g shotgun would of been the weapon of choice.

Thats a new one on me that you can't use an electronic call I'm not saying your wrong but in a game fair you would of emagined if he was selling an illegal item when used for attracting birds it would of been picked up by say BASC or one of the other organisations there.

Tg,

I hope you realize it's illegal to use any electronic call for shooting feathered vermin. ;)

No problem if the call is used for photographic purposes ... but shooting is a no-no. :rolleyes:

Very unwise to broadcast your results :yes:

its 100% legal over here, as in there are no laws against it :good:

im pretty sure your misinformed, that you can use it on corvids but not woodies and the like, check BASC? as im not in england :(

Edited by dogfox

Tg,

I hope you realize it's illegal to use any electronic call for shooting feathered vermin. ;)

No problem if the call is used for photographic purposes ... but shooting is a no-no. :rolleyes:

Very unwise to broadcast your results :yes:

The sounds on this call are electronically synthesised NOT a recording on a tape or cd. They sound identical to the real thing but they are stored on an Eprom. Basc are happy with them as long as it is only for corvids and the manufacturer did an extensive study before marketing and had no reason to find them illegal.

But as i stated in my post I was trialling it for picture purposes and they work brilliantly.

Price is £30.00.

contact Paul Hart for any orders etc.

I went out this afternoon on a different farm on wheat stubble and again the birds came in from a long way off and STRAIGHT into the deeks.

:good:

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

how much & where can i get one from :drinks:? want to take lots of "photos" this weekend LOL :drinks::drinks:

They cost £30.00 and I have just had another one delivered today.

I will now have one on the floor amongst the deeks ,and one lofted up in the trees above me.

Can't wait to try it out on Friday - work permitting.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

how much & where can i get one from :good:? want to take lots of "photos" this weekend LOL :drinks::drinks:

They cost £30.00 and I have just had another one delivered today.

I will now have one on the floor amongst the deeks ,and one lofted up in the trees above me.

Can't wait to try it out on Friday - work permitting.

Dave K

thanks for the info, could you pm me with a contact No please :drinks::thanks:

Also bought one from Paul Hart at the midland , but today was my first chance to try it :blink:

End result 83 pic,s taken with the cannon :yes:

Good one magman.

:D

I have just received 2 x 4gb sd cards for my camera to take MANY MANY piccies.

They are excellent at attracting them in. If I could afford 6 more I would get them.

Instead I have just invested in another tripod for my camcorder.

Dave K

Me and my friend bought 2 of these and went out for 3 hours this afternoon and along with 3 sillsock decoys we managed to take 18 photos , verry impressed so we are going back out tomorrow at dawn to hopefully empty a fair few boxes of film. There awsome :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...
I visited the Midland Game Fair on Saturday and amongst all the goodies I bought I went to Paul Hart's stall and bought a load of decoys and also the crow calling decoy. Sounded good in the stall but nothing like trying it out in the field.

After my early morning trip for the geese I drove over to a farm that was combining, ploughing, sowing etc and sat watching the guy ploughing a field where some rooks and magpies were dropping in behind him and decided to set up at the end of the field he had done.

Put up the hide and then a dozen decoys with the magnet to the left and the NEW TOY as the head bird in the pattern.

It is a full-bodied decoy with a built in crow caller with 2 settings. No.1 is a continuous call and No.2 is an intermittent call with a start delay. It also comes with a mounting stick which fits into a neat little pocket in the side of the decoy.

I switched it on to the number 2 setting which gives you 90 seconds to get back into your hide and then it starts to play intermittent calls . some long, some short, some quiet, some manic and then I had 3 fly straight in to the pattern . I took loads of photographs of different size birds , but I was more interested in the way the birds came in.

They were coming in a straight line from over 800yards away (2 fields) and heading straight for the calling decoy and not the magnet. But best of all, everyone of them flew in low and I had none circling high first, as they normally do. I took a fair few minutes of footage of them flighting in.

First impressions are that these work as good, even better than the e-caller and I am promptly going to order some more straight away.

:hmm: :hmm: :good: :good:

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully recommended.

Got some brilliant close-up photos of the birds as they landed.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I will be trying it out again this week,as i'm now on holiday and will keep you all informed.

You are onto a winner here Paul.

Dave K

You weren't the irishman that haggled for the last one on Sunday were you :lol: