aargh! sodding fags!

southernlad

I quit in May and managed to stay off them til September, i actually lost weight but that was down to not drinking alcohol and walking everywhere and stressing out about cigarettes, i was actually getting fitter every week but wouldn't let myself see it because for some reason i was sure i was going to drop with a heart attack, crazy isn't it, I decided to stop again at the start of October and so far so good, but i found the first three weeks the easiest last time too, so for me it's not stopping which is so hard it's staying stopped and getting rid of the brainwashing about actually enjoying smoking. So good luck with your quit, you know it makes sense!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

A lot of people rate Alan Carr's book.

The above method is how I gave up in Jan 2007 it's a easy read states the obvious and does exactly what it says on the front cover well worth the £8 or so but you will still need the will power to continue, but at least you will be off the nicotine unlike the patches/gum method. Go for it you will wish you had done it years ago your taste and smell will improve ten fold, not to mention your health and bank balance :yes::lol:

watching someone you love ,waste away in an hospital bed,coughing up blood ,with that look in their eyes that they know their dying in front of thier family helped me give up after 20 odd years of rolling me own,ot aint easy mate,but it can be done ,just got to stick to it ,you llsoon hate the smell of it. :yes:

I quit smoking almost three years ago after 20 years. :lol:

I used a mixture of high strength patches and fruit pastilles.I was given a carrier bag of patches by my brother in law for nothing so slapped one of them on everyday and whenever i got a craving-i sucked on a fruit pastille.The sugar gives an instant rush to the body and took my mind off ciggies.

After three weeks,i simply cut the patches in half to reduce the nicotine to save me buying the lower nicotine ones and used these for another 2 weeks-then stopped putting them on all together.I know eating sweets sounds odd,but i dont have sugar in anything and they gave me such an instant sugar hit.

If you use patches-dont even contemplate leaving one on at night when you're asleep because the biggest side effect they have is horrific nightmares.I only did it a few times by accident and still remember one where i dreamt the alien creature was eating me alive...i **** myself. :good:

some kids at school think its 'cool' to smoke. There usually the ones who also drink, have babies at 15 and basically throw thier life away married to some chav having hundreds of children. I have said to myself i am definatley never going to smoke - for that matter never even going to try one. I think its a disgusting habit and out shooting on a driven day or in a pub (before the ban) it completly ruins the fresh air and the atmosphere around you. Personally i stay well away. We did an experiment in sience and it was a test for tar. The stuff you inhale turned this thing a murky orange :good: it was distgusting. My auntie smokes, and lets face it shes not well off. Shes got two kids and looks about 10 years older than she is and stinks of the 'orrible stuff. Shes got 2 kids and its beyond me how she can stand outside having a fag whilst she knows if she gave up, she could maybe make a small, but huge difference in thier eyes by simply taking them shopping for some stylish new clothes as a family with money otherwise spend on ciggies.

rant over :lol:

I smoked for over 20 years and did about 40 a day,then one day decided enough was enough,i found a Hypnotist and spent £85.00.that was about 3 years ago,and i know i will never smoke again.After being hypnotised i got in my van and my fags were on the dash,i stopped at my brothers and gave them to him,all i felt was slightly niggly for two days but nothing else.

That was the best £85.00 i ever spent. :good:

I read about that over-smoking thing. long and short of it is, sit down smoke as many fags as you can get your hands on end-to-end, until you start gagging at the smoke. keep going till your sick and 'apparently' the smell will make u think of that spew the rest of your life, making it immpossible to smoke.

sounds fair enough.

some kids at school think its 'cool' to smoke. There usually the ones who also drink, have babies at 15 and basically throw thier life away married to some chav having hundreds of children.

That's pretty harsh! I smoked and drank (and all the rest) my way through school and still managed to get good enough grades to go to university.

For me it was a combination of Alan Carr and my 'want' to give up. I've tried alsorts in the past but my advice to anyone wanting to stop would be, you have to really want to stop. Reading Alan Carrs' book made it easier in a sense as it put things into prospective. If you truly want to quit, you will and don't bother with NRT.

I work for the NHS and i asked a consultant for his advise on this matter he said and i quote " The three main killers are heart disease dementia and smoking, if you give up smoking you only have the other two to look forward to".....which i thought was sound advice :good::lol: :lol:

And for anyone who want to start Smoking ......Marry my EX

Edited by funky

Guys, I tried the patches; the will power; the cold turkey - the lot and I finally managed to give up after 30 years of being a smoker. How did I do it? Well I'd Really wanted to stop for ages and had never really managed more than a day or two at a time - that is how hooked I was. I haven't had a ciggie since 14th January this year and all because i spoke to my Doc and asked if i could get these "Champix " tablets.

Now because I am diabetic as well - I think he was more than happy to give me anything (legal) to try and get me off them. And they worked for me!

They are easy to use; keep smoking and after 8 days of smoking and taking the tablets you decide what day between 8 and 14 you are going to stop the cigarettes - and you do it. The tablets work by shutting off the receptors in your brain that enjoy the tobacco hit. There is no nicotine replacement so as soon as you stop your lungs are healing and your overall condition improves. If you are lucky, you get these fantasticly clear and vivid dreams at nights as well. your mates or partners will be asking if it is some kind of illegal drug you are taking if you talk about these dreams :lol:

The bottom line though is that they will help but only if you want to stop. I was on them for (I think) about 4 and a half months in total. You still at times feel like you could murder a fag but, you seem to be able to distract yourself much more easily and the notion passes. In the last month or so, I have realised I no longer get these pangs to have a fag - even though I have the makings in the house.

GO on - see yer doc.

pushkin :good:

I had tried everything to stop, The 2 types of stopping smoking drugs, Patches the inhalers and all sorts of other ideas. I even read Allan Carr's Book, I finished the book then smoked the next day.. About 3 weeks later I went on holiday and as I was the only smoker in a group of 7 I thought it was a good as time as any. Used everything I had read in AC's book and a bit of will power , That was back on the 15ht of May, Still not smoking over 5 months now.. I can recommend the book I know 3 others that have quite from the book and 2 that did the course that are based on the book all of them are still not smoking ,the course apparently has a 90% success rate and give a money back guaranty.

Cheers Jon

:hmm: for Allen Carr's book. I smoked 20-a-day for 10 years, from age 15. I eventually stopped by using willpower. That lasted a year. However, I met a girl who smoked, she moved in, and I was back smoking 20-a-day before I knew it. I smoked for another 5 years. Then I discovered Allen Carr's book.

It didn't work for me, first time. I found myself not smoking, but thinking "I'm gagging for a fag". Then, when I lit one up, I'd think "This is DISGUSTING. What am I DOING?! I hate this". This went on for about six months. In that time, I read the book several more times.

Now, I haven't smoked for about 6 years. I don't miss it. I wonder why I ever started in the first place. I feel a million times fitter. And I know I'll never smoke again.

That's what Allen Carr's book gave me. That's a state of mind that I wouldn't have acheived with will-power alone. Because I didn't understand the psychology of smoking. Now I do, which is why I know I won't smoke cigarettes ever again.

Yes, the book's repetitive. It has to be, to work its magic.

Why not have a look here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-S...3666&sr=1-1

The book costs the same as a packet of fags, and you can even read the first few pages online.

All the best with stopping smoking, and that goes for everybody.