.243 recommendations

Cushat

All,

I'm just in the process of putting in for my FAC - references sorted, permission for deer given (and just awaiting it in writing). I'm only applying for a .243 + mod, and appreciate the various restrictions that may (or may not!) be imposed on me on a first time centrefire application.

I've shot a Sako 75 a bit and really liked it, but if I put some decent glass and a mod on it then a new set up will cost about £2k - out of my price range and a lot to spend on a first rifle. I'd be perfectly happy with secondhand, but there don't seem to be many Sako's around (and very few .243's in general around my area). Other option is a Remington - they seem to be around the £5-600 mark new and seem quite highly rated but I'm interested in other people's thoughts as to where to start for a first set up. I know you all like to sing the praises of your various set ups - so crack on lads!! :good:

Budget is about a grand ish and all being well, I should have a FAC "within 60 days" according to Thames Valley!

hi there have you tryed guntrader.co.uk

i use a little remington model 7 but like you say you have used a certain one maybe worth seeing if anyone got one for sale on guntrader second hand

im allowed to hold 200 and buy 100 rounds i think that is ok aswell

also you may be restricted as to where you can use it aswell eg: zeroing on ranges and also land deemed suitable by cheif of police for your area

ive had the restricion lifted off my fac so i can shoot pretty much anywhere providing i have the lawfull authority to shoot there

if you going to be doing alot of shooting with it it may be worth while considering loading your own as a box of 20 rounds up here is around the 20quid mark so if you do alot of shooting with it , it can put a pretty hole in your wallet

Edited by radio1ham

Of the mainstream brands, I've now had a Sako 75, two Tikka T3s and a Remington 700. The Sako won by a country mile on quality, but was matched (if not bettered) on accuracy by the T3s. The Remington shot well too, but it required not inconsiderable expense to get it to that point.

I'd go for a Tikka T3 Lite if I was you. It'll do the job straight from the box. Allow for decent mounts and glass though.

I have a T3 in 6.5x55, and it's a nice gun. I also have a CZ in .223, and the trigger is better on that (but the bolt isn't). Both are good to shoot and accurate, and fit your budget. Not a Sako, but will easily down a Deer just as well :good:

Spend your money on the scope, it matters. You could get a Tikka T3 and Schmidt & Bender 8x56 for your budget. That's what I have and it out shoots me easily!

I think that if you had read the forum close enough you would see that the one gun stalker would proberbly have choosen a .308 . How ever your choise of a .243 should surfice your stalking needs, Untill the day you face that big red stag and you will think should i shouldnt i . The one gun stalker will proberbly choose a 30 calibre , i did and all my mates have except one who has a .270,and the only reason that he has this cannon of a rifle is because it was mine and i persuaded him that it was the gun for him . Good luck with your stalking ,and remember that the thrill is in the stalk not in the kill . Harnser .

Hey Harnser, didn't mean this to degenerate into another 243 Vs 308 thread, so should have maybe asked for opinions on rifles in both calibres (and even 6.5x55 too??). Oops!

Anyway, appreciate where you're coming from and thanks for others on pointing me towards Tikka - looked at a synthetic T3 this morning and is prob the way I'll go (and it's available in all three calbres :good: ).

I put a lot of rounds through my 6.5x55, and killed a lot of deer and foxes. I felt it was a little over-rated as a calibre - a compromise between the sheer knock-down power of a .308, and the pretty flat trajectory of a .243. It was not a decision which I took lightly, but I ditched the 6.5x55 in favour of a .243 and a .30-06. In reality, the .30-06 gets little use compared to the .243, as I find the latter calibre unequivocally spot-on for my shooting needs (fallow, and a lot of foxes and vermin). However .30-06 is just the job for antelope and hefty Norfolk reds.

If I was you, Cushat, I'd stick with the .243, and if necessary, add a larger calibre (.308/.30-06/7mm-08 etc) into your collection.

The .243 can do it all with the right load.It will be a good allrounder for you to get to grips with .

There are plenty of good second hand rifles on the market , so spend your money on the best optics you can afford.

You should be able to get a decent quality second hand rifle for £3/400 . At least then you don't have to buy a new scope when you eventually upgrade (as we all do ! lolol)

Buy the remington 700 BDL in .243 (I have 2 one in .2506 and another in .308) exellent guns use good quallity heavy bullets for deer in .243 the light weight ones are generally for foxing .

When you decide that you shuld have got a .308 you can then contact me and I will sell you a new .308 remington barrel which will need to be fited by a gunsmith (brand new remington factory item )

Deershooter

Just out of interest, would i have any issues having "fox" for a 6.5x55 or .308, or would there be some restriction that I could only shoot a fox if it was an opportune shot whilst out stalking?

I have my 6.5 x 55 for Foxing in its own right ( not fox whilst out stalking as most do) - The word on the street is if you ask you can now have ground game and vermin/fox etc added to any calibre (APCO Guide lines)- but be careful what you wish for or you may end up with just 1 gun for everything :rolleyes:

A vote for the C.Z minnesota .243 here is mine and a pic after some load development for foxes. Shot at 60yds you can see the groups homing in on the centre as i click the scope turrets. Was shooting 2 shot groups and you can see 3 groups on the target. not too bad for a cz.

rgds

Adrian

PA010557.jpg

PA090567.jpg

A 243 will do everything you ask of it, 100grn normas will take down a red stag no problem.

My mate shot a royal red stag with his Sako A2 243 and it dropped like a stone. The thing weighed over 650lb head on!

It's all about where you put the bullet.

You don't need a bigger rifle but, If you were into reloading I would suggest a 243AI.

ATB

Moses

I spent a long while debating over whether to order my Cooper Montana Varminter in .243AI, or whether to stick to .243 Win. I ended up with the .243 Win, as the extra horsepower the Ackley offers isn't (in my eyes) worth the increased barrel wear. Dead is dead, after all.

Totally agree with your comments about bullet placement though, Moses.

Just out of interest, would i have any issues having "fox" for a 6.5x55 or .308, or would there be some restriction that I could only shoot a fox if it was an opportune shot whilst out stalking?

You shouldn't have any problems with 6.5 for fox alone, it is regarded as a 'dual purpose' calibre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...