Sainsburys teams up with BASC

webber

Can i ask, these animals that Sainsburys are selling are they wild animals supplied buy some gamekeeper/s or are they farm reared like chickens, if they are farm reared how long will it be before the antis find out, get the BBC to do a documentary on it and then put the BASC in bad light with the general public.

Hopefully the BASC will have done their home work and know where the animals are coming from.

JUST A THOUGHT

Seen pigeon in there on a number of occasions. As i'm not interested in buying them myself i haven't worked out if they are a regular appearance.

The alliance of BASC and Sainsbury can only be a good thing IMHO, obviously it won't convert the anti types but hopefully will promote quarry shooting to normal people & non-shooting meat eaters in a suitable light.

The article mentions that the produce will have the Game's On logo, will there be a mention of BASC themselves? The logo in its own right doesn't seem to show any affiliation to BASC to joe public.

I visited Sainsburys today and saw what they had on offer. The pheasants looked in pristine condition. No pellet marks visible anywhere. There were no pigeons or partridges available. Plenty of farmed venison and guinea fowl though.

I agree that it is an excellent idea to have game for sale in our supermarkets and I also think Sainsburys are very wise not to have birds for sale with visible pellet damage. (As long as they are shot birds & not farmed). Bulking out the display with uncommon farmed meats makes sense too.

I would have liked to see a few recipe leaflets provided on the display to encourage shoppers and give them the motivation to try cooking something which may be unfamiliar to them.

I think i have missed something.

i thought the C in BASC was for conservation.

so they team up with a supermarket, you know the ones that build out of town places what were fields. force farmers prices down so there crops are pushed harder so less land is left for wildlife.

I'm a member but i would like to think my money went on something worth while.

as for sainsburys they can shove it. I'm supporting my local butcher, this is local so doesn't use loads of fuel sending it here, there and everywhere

Rant over

Edited by slated

stupid question i know but, how much does a chicken cost these days? (i don't do shopping) i don't think people will really get back into game in a big way unless the prices reflect food. i think you could probably get a chicken twice as big as a pheasant for half the price.

I think i have missed something.

i thought the C in BASC was for conservation.

so they team up with a supermarket, you know the ones that build out of town places what were fields. force farmers prices down so there crops are pushed harder so less land is left for wildlife.

I'm a member but i would like to think my money went on something worth while.

as for sainsburys they can shove it. I'm supporting my local butcher, this is local so doesn't use loads of fuel sending it here, there and everywhere

Rant over

I too support my local butcher, although I am in a minority and if Sainsbury's can promote the eating of game by stocking then it has got to be a good move.

Yes you are correct that they build out of town on what was once fields but so do building contractors but I bet you live in a house.

The C in BASC is for conservation and the do a sterling job. I think you are getting confused with preservation.

Email from Countryside Alliance today:

Game-to-Eat's supermarket spy

Game-to-Eat's unprecedented game sampling campaign is taking place in over 260 Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose stores nationwide. Thousands of game-newcomers have already participated in the tastings and some stores have sold out as a result.

Game-to-Eat is the leading and official campaign dedicated to encouraging more people to eat wild game. This campaign is giving more than 78,000 shoppers in over 260 supermarkets England the opportunity to sample stir fried pheasant breast served with a yoghurt and mint dip. The aim of the activity is to show shoppers who would not normally include game on the shopping list how easy game is to cook and how good it tastes. On its website, Game-to-Eat has a "Supermarket Spy" saying, "We have been out and about checking game supplies in the retailers and were quite pleased with the results although some could do better! If you have seen any other cuts of game in store do let us know and we will update the info". Read more here.

Rural campaigns have long stopped preaching to the choir, and Game-to-Eat is a prime example of taking our message to the widest possible audience. This year Game-to-Eat is supporting the industry with a committed expenditure of £1/4 million. This is the biggest ever support from the campaign, launched eight years ago, dedicated to increasing the domestic market for British game meat. Already we have had a hugely successful response with some Tesco stores selling out of game as a direct result of our sampling activity!

Sampling is just one area of activity to promote game throughout the season. We have a comprehensive programme dedicated to raising game's profile throughout the year. This year-round campaign means game is fast becoming an obvious choice for consumers when the season starts.

Gemma Fraser, Game Buyer of Sainsburys, said: "We are seeing a steady increase of interest in game by our shoppers and the Game-to-Eat sampling is a great way to encourage our shoppers to try pheasant and raise the profile of British game."

Can i ask, these animals that Sainsburys are selling are they wild animals supplied buy some gamekeeper/s or are they farm reared like chickens, if they are farm reared how long will it be before the antis find out, get the BBC to do a documentary on it and then put the BASC in bad light with the general public.

Hopefully the BASC will have done their home work and know where the animals are coming from.

JUST A THOUGHT

good point though