Barnardo's

David BASC

So, Barnardos entire marketing strategy is based on the comment from one person? Absolute B.S! They made the most shocking video they could to try and get their message over, and have insulted most of the 1,000,000 plus shooters in the UK, and all they can do is say it was a metaphor!

Name me please another group or organisation in the UK (that is not some radical or terrorist based unit) that would even consider making a video of people going around shooting children in order to get their message across?

Short list isn’t it?

Whey cant they wake up to the fact they have made a gross error of judgement and take this blessed video off of their site and replace it with an apology for the offence they have caused?

David

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they have taken the video down or they have technical problems.

It may be your PC thats got a glitch - the blessed film is still there! :hmm:

David

Your right, didn't load yesterday for me but does today. :good:

What surprised me the most is where they got their information. As a seasoned forum user you learn that not all you see written on the screen in front of you is all that it appears. People exaggerate hugely behind a keyboard and more often than not, comments that are meant to be taken tongue in cheek are drastically misunderstood. There exists a false sense of security and behind closed doors, things are said that you wouldn't ordinarily say in public.

For Bernardo's to use text based replies from newspaper sites where topics are fuelled by rife speculation, is absurd. For them to base there complete campaign on this in such a way as this video denotes, is nothing short of atrocious.

Even my brother, who does not support my envolvement in shooting, was surprised and shocked at the video for the same reasons.

In e-mailed the countryside alliance yesterday to see if they gotten involved in this.Recieved this reply today.

Many thanks for your query. We are making representations to Barnados like a number of other organisations. The line coming back is the predictable one along the lines of " it was not intentional" and "we only wanted to highlight the plight of children" and so on. We are of course making all the relevant points that you as a member would wish us to make including the fact that it is not acceptable to demonise one section of the population to draw attention to the problems of another.

I believe that Barnados - a very good, well-meaning organisation - did not set out to offend the likes of you and I. They would have hired an expensive London agency to come up with a clever concept film and clearly their excitment with this particular 'clever' concept outweighed any perceived downsides. Sheer ignorance of the nature of shooting (legal/illegal divide ). However, that is ultimately no excuse and where misrepresentation appears we will tackle it, just as we did with recent advertisements such as the Nigel Havers/Privilege ad and so on.

Although BASC have been visually involved in this it's good to see others getting stuck to put pressure for the removal and apology of this film.

Just this minute had my reply:

Dear Andy

Thank you for your feedback on our film. We are sorry you are offended by its content.

The concept of shooting is a metaphor for how the public thinks about children and is not intended to single out those who take part in shooting sports as those wanting to shoot children. The analogy is born out of a direct quote taken from a newspaper website written by a member of the public.

Our intention is not to offend people, but to highlight society’s intolerance of children and young people. We believe the most shocking part of the film is the comments made by the public.

We have also made a public comment to the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_wins_apology

We hope that your dislike of the film does not detract from the issue being raised, and that you can continue to support Barnardo’s.

Thank you again for your comment.

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

Head of Brand and New Media

Just this minute had my reply:

Dear Andy

Thank you for your feedback on our film. We are sorry you are offended by its content.

The concept of shooting is a metaphor for how the public thinks about children and is not intended to single out those who take part in shooting sports as those wanting to shoot children. The analogy is born out of a direct quote taken from a newspaper website written by a member of the public.

Our intention is not to offend people, but to highlight society’s intolerance of children and young people. We believe the most shocking part of the film is the comments made by the public.

We have also made a public comment to the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_wins_apology

We hope that your dislike of the film does not detract from the issue being raised, and that you can continue to support Barnardo’s.

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

I received the same standard reply and have responded.

I complained to the Advertising standards agency and got a reply back in the mail today saying a website video was outside their remit! If this is not advertising then was is?

Surely they should cover all types of media.

what bull...t

They suggested i complained to Barnardo's directly.

Did anyone else get this fobbed off reply!

I complained to the Advertising standards agency and got a reply back in the mail today saying a website video was outside their remit! If this is not advertising then was is?

what bull...t

I got the same reply, if non of these organisations has any power to remove this film the only way is to withdraw donations to Barnardos(give to NSPCC instead) and let them know why.

I have just recived the standard reply for the Collette Collins, very poor.

What is realy anoying is they have based ALL of this (as she states in her reply) on ONE persons coments on the internet!

That is no way a reprentative sample!

I said to her if "we" as shooters had produced a film showing "us" shooting humans but did not mean it to "represent" humans (kids) it would be all over the TV / media that Shooters are wrong and licences should be removed etc.

I also asked her, why they do not put the message they have given to the BASC on the barnardos site?

Edited by V8landy

what bull...t

Yes, I got pretty much the same response. They say that they have received a number of complaints about the Barnardos film, but basically because it not an ad as such, or a sponsored search result or a sales promotion it is outside of the code under which the ASA operate. As a result they are powerless do do anything about it.

Dear Luke

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

________

so i sent:

_______

Collette,

Thank you so much for your polite and speedy reply. I am sure the video was not intentianlly inflamatory to the shooting minority, but, it is. More to the point the video still remains on your HOMEPAGE. This video, I am sure has been seen my many thousands since you recived my complaint, and the complaints of others. I could only wish the video was taken down, but at the very least a disclamer at end/start of the film to state that there is no link to REAL LIFE, where children are not shot at.

Many thanks again

Luke Spires

I don't know what the fuss is about. I have a variation for "street urchins" with .243 and sound moderator and regularly be seen with friends coursing hoodies early Sunday mornings on Southend Sea Front.

Seriously though, it is wide of the mark but it wouldn't stop me from giving Bernados my pound note. The damage has probably already been done anways.

Yeah but Mung, what are MUNGSA doing about this ? :yes:

Edited by LV

they really don't care how we feel :oops: I normally do the xmas deliveries and collections for them but this year I will still say yes i will do it when they call. They wont get delivered though, so they will loose a good chunk of dosh :yes: . I suggest you other guys and girls do the same and get on their volunteer list :lol: