Just bought my first shooting magazine

Cosd

I get the magazine sent to me by BASC monthly, but every time I ask in a shop for shooting magazines the answer is always "no". Was shopping with the wife and kids today, doing my manly thing, carrying three womens bags :lol: , and I popped into WHSmith when I was given permision and found the 'Sporting Shooter'.

Still in it's wrapper and can't wait to read it. One of the topics mentioned on the front cover is "have woodies become wise to the magnet'.

I want a magazine that gives advice and reviews on all aspects of shotgun shooting and shooting equipment. Does one even exist?

What do you guys read?

I subscribe to Shooting Times, Sporting Rifle, Sporting Shooter and The Field. All have their merits and failings. I find the constant recirculation of articles between Gun Mart, Sporting Gun and Shooting Sports (amongst others) pretty depressing. Anything written by Bruce Potts or the illiterate Walt, Pete Moore, isn't worth reading.

i get the basc mag (which is kak) and sporting shooter.... sporting shooter does have some topics of interest for me, but alot of ads and half of it is practically a dog magazine....

i wish there was a mag targeted at the "working class " shooter rather then the usual ones which runs stories on super toff shooting if you know what i mean...dont get me wrong, they are interesting articles which i do read... but loads of it are just relating to types of shooting which ill probably

never be involved in....a mag targeted at pigeon shooters, rough shooting, rabbit, hare, corvid, ratting, farm door knocking lads, would go down great.....

i wish there was a mag targeted at the "working class " shooter rather then the usual ones which runs stories on super toff shooting if you know what i mean...dont get me wrong, they are interesting articles which i do read... but loads of it are just relating to types of shooting which ill probably

never be involved in....a mag targeted at pigeon shooters, rough shooting, rabbit, hare, corvid, ratting, farm door knocking lads, would go down great.....

But would they buy it in sufficient quantities to provide a return for the publisher?

Page 3 ratting anyone?

id bet an awfull lot who buy all the other mags fall into my category... i buy the mags i do cos there the best available to me, if one targeted at my shooting group was available, i doubt id buy any of the others... i wonder if all the other shooters in my group would stop buying the other mags ? then see who gets what returns...:good:

im not saying thats right, or saying that the other mags have no value, they do, but there is a niche in the market i reckon.... :good:

im not saying thats right, or saying that the other mags have no value, they do, but there is a niche in the market i reckon.... :good:

Sell the concept to a niche publisher & get rich!

There wasn't anything dealing with the classic bike movement until Classic Bike started in 1978

does none of you read the countrymans weekly

had it for years, before it was country mans, i cant remember now what it was called.

was it "game keeper" or something like that.

always something interesting in that :good:

whether your into ratting or salmon fishing a bit for all sorts :good:

Sub to Sporting Gun

Buy Shooting Times every Thursday, Sporting Shooter every month.

Used to buy the airgun comics but got a little disappointed with the "reviews" which were basically along the lines of "we got sent this free so it's great".

I've always said that the shooting mags lack balance - they need to realise "review" and "three page advertising feature" are two different things altogether.

If you look at some of the mountain biking magazines they do "dirty dozen" type reviews where they group 12 bikes of a particular price range together and compare them giving a league table type result at the end. If the reviews were like this in the comics I might start buying again, I know the mags are dependent on the industry for backing and advertising revenue but they need a little balance and a little honesty every now and then.

Edited by Tug