strange sightings when lamping

tony2

i was out lamping rabbits last week when i saw what i thought was a large cat on my permission.

i started lamping about 20.00 by 20.30 i had shot a couple of rabbits and was walking along a boundry ditch when i turned my lamp on and picked up two large red eyes about 40 yds ahead along the boundry ditch ,now were i shoot thier are a lot of foxes but they are very lamp shy and normally they bolt as soon as you put the lamp on them (i was using a red filter this night.).

i kept the light on and the animal it didnt move i turned the light off an got about 10 yds of the animal i turned the light back on and it was still thier i looked through my scope and i could not believe what i was looking at it was laying in a small rut out of the wind it was facing away from me in the red lamp light it had the same colour fur as a young fox but it turned its head and looked in my direction and it looked like a cat i know it sounds mad but it looked like a big cat , i turned the lamp on and off to spook it and it bolted .

in all my years i have never seen anything like it has any one else seen any thing else like it ?

regards tony

dont get me started :good:

a while back we had a similar situation but the beasty was shot, it was quite close to me in Beccles, I started a thread on it on PW about 4 years ago (guess its still about in cyber space)

http://www.britishbigcats.org/evidence.php

the fact you got within 10 yards makes me wonder about a big cat, as you had already lamped it :D

are they out there........you bet

Edited by pavman

i have had a look at the british big cat web site and the animal i saw was very much like the jungle cat thats featured there.

i live in cambridgeshire and that cat was found in shropshire is it possible that we have a breeding population that is migrateing?

regards tony

i have had a look at the british big cat web site and the animal i saw was very much like the jungle cat thats featured there.

i live in cambridgeshire and that cat was found in shropshire is it possible that we have a breeding population that is migrateing?

regards tony

ooo'er! I'll have to keep an eye out for this then and take more notice of any paw prints.

theres a reason i always keep buckshot strapped to the shotgun for emergencys... :good:

theres been a few cats shot over here, there were a few sightings around my area a couple of months ago, but the only strange incident i ever had was when i was shooting one winter morning 2 years ago. i heard the strangest noise in my life, it was like a cat screeching and a pig grunting, mixed together. it was loud but sounded approx 100 yards away. dont know what the heck it was, but it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, the 6's were ejected from the gun and the buckshot loaded in it til i got back the the house!

Ive seen them many times, on and off for 10 - 15 years (big black cat), maybe you saw a lynx? there was a small population living round shropshire/staffs in the past, a good friend of ours was the head of dog training for the local police force, they where in the process of training dogs to track these lynx

i once saw a funny outline on a hill a few years ago. Got me all shook up. Got a bit closer, and it looked like a hound dog.

76285257_f24b245a93.jpg

You have about the same chance of lamping elvis as you do of lamping a black puma.

Been lamping hundreds of times,spent most of my life wandering round the countryside in lots of different places and have never seen or met anyone who has positively I D,d a big cat.

This has been done to death on here and its one of those things you either believe in or dont(bit like ghosts)

I have seen 2 such animals about 30 miles apart and within the six months of each other,they were reasonable distances away(100yds) and disappeared like they had been abducted.The strange thing was that on both occasions the eyes had a yellow tinge to them,not strange you may thing but I never shoot with anything other than a red filter on my lamp!!!

• 5 months later...

MYSELF AND SHOOTING PARTNER WERE OUT IN DECEMBER LAST YEAR,IN A HIDE WHEN A LARGE CAT CAME OUT OF THE TREES OPPOSITE US,WE CRAPPED IT TRUTHFULLY,,EVEN THOUGH WE HAD TWO 12 GAUGE SIDE BY SIDES LOADED.WE HAVNT TOLD ANY ONE AS THEY WONT BELIEVE IT AROUND HERE IN TEESSIDE,IVE SINCE SEEN IT ON MY OWN AND HAVE SEEN THE CARCASS OF A FULL SIZE SHEEP IN THE HEDGE ROW WERE IT WAS, EVEN THOUGH THERES NO SHEEP WITH IN 1/4MILE FROM HERE WOULDNT SAY IT WAS A PUMA MORE LIKE A LYNX. IM WAIRY SHOOTING ON THAT FIELD NOW BUT IT WONT BEAT ME. IF IT LEAVES ME ALONE IL LEAVE THAT ALONE.,,IF NOT IT WILL GET BOTH BARRELS.