gunshops with attitude

dazag12

Hi i recently bought a gun off a great lad on this sight and we arranged delivery from the sporsman to my local dealer bradford and stalker in ouston tyne and wear, i called B & S to inform them that iwas getting the gun delivered and was told inititially that there would be a 30 quid handling charge also i was told if i sent my licence off to be fill in myself they would not charge the 30 quid fee so i arranged for them to accept the delivery this was just before the christmas so after speaking with the lad involved we agrred to leave delivery till after the new year so the gun would not be in overnight storage with couriers i called my gun dealer B & S to see if the gun had arrived and got the owner on the telephone who informed me that there was a 30 quid charge, so i explained the conversation i had with one of his staff just before the christmas to which he replied no they would not have said that so you will have to pay the charge i asked why i would have made this up and started to get very aggressive on the phone now stating that he did not know that i was getting a gun delivered to the shop which was utter bull, next day i called the shop to be told that the gun was in and ready to collect and again told that there wass a 30 quid handling when i spoke to the counter assistant i said fine i will come and collect it but i would see the owner regarding the fee as i was told initially that i would not have to pay it

what happened next was absolutley the lowest level of customer service i have ever experienced

i received a telephone call from the shop owner ranting and raving on the phone in his words come and pick up your ******g gun and get it out of my ******g shop then he promptly hung up before i could have my say!!!

i promptly went to shop in a fuming mood to say the least, where i was greeted by the counter staff asking if they could help when i said that i come to pick up my gun and could i see the owner after his foul mouthed rant on the telephone only to be told he is busy i could not believe the arrogance of the man the staff were even trying to give excuses for him all totally unacceptable giving the circumstances as a company owner myself i would have no hesitation in sacking anyone who mistreat a customer as i believe it is the most important part of service.

i told the shpo immediatley that i would never use them again i have also informed all people i know as there are plenty other gun dealers in the area that iam sure would never treat a customer in this manner

We have one in Essex that are very unhelpful and miserable.

I was loading some carts into my car there once when another customer (who I have never met before) beckoned me over and whispered in my ear

"he's a total <insert c word> isnt he ?" about one of the owners. It was an accurate description. :yes:

Hey, i once bought a car from a dealership, and whn i took it back 6 months later, the guy who sold me it had altered my paperwork, and re-signed it himself. hows that for customer service :yes:

i wont mention which company it was

FORD!

I agree with peck.

The usual charge for having a gun shipped to a RFD is £30, this is nothing to do with the certificate signing, its a handling charge.

Surely you didn't expect the transfer to be free ?

The shop assistant you spoke to obviously made a mistake, I can understand the shop owner getting a bit irate in the circumstances.

I agree with peck.

The usual charge for having a gun shipped to a RFD is £30, this is nothing to do with the certificate signing, its a handling charge.

The shop assistant you spoke to obviously made a mistake, I can understand the shop owner getting a bit irate in the circumstances.

Customer is always right. No business owner should be taking out staff incompetence on customers - end of.

Why not take the shortfall off the staff member?

Incidentally it's £15 a transfer down here.

I agree with peck.

He won't own the shop for very long with that attitude :yes::lol:

I had the same situation with a model shop. I did the same thing and told everyone I could of the rubbish customer service.

Other people had the same problems with the shop. The end result was the shop lost £150,000 last year. I know this is true because I met one of the people who worked their, he had just been laid off.

Think of it like this, in the next few months all businesses regardless of what they sell will be falling over themselves for your money, let's face it we all spend a lot of money on our hobby's and with the credit crunch and unemployment on the horizon for thousands of people the shops will need to try much harder to get that money out of our pockets.

Support the good ones, say goodbye to the ones with attitude.

FC

P.C World did me over a beauty bought a lap top off them 15 months later took it back hard drive dead,guy said it's out of warranty no isaid i opted for the five year cover,nah nothing on our computer about that he said.

So i had him check again no nothing so left and paid for repaires my self.

Last month got a letter from them saying my 5 year warranty was nearly up. Still havent calmed down enough to go see them yet.

stag :yes:

P.C World did me over a beauty bought a lap top off them 15 months later took it back hard drive dead,guy said it's out of warranty no isaid i opted for the five year cover,nah nothing on our computer about that he said.

So i had him check again no nothing so left and paid for repaires my self.

Last month got a letter from them saying my 5 year warranty was nearly up. Still havent calmed down enough to go see them yet.

stag :)

That is gold! Whilst I do feel sorry for you, at least you can go and ram that letter down his throat.

There's a small gunshop in one of the arcades in Birmingham. I went in to buy a cleaning kit and they were okay, if a little patronising, but sadly as a woman AND a beginner that's something I've come to expect. Visited a couple of days later with my husband as I'd seen a gun I quite liked, and he stayed 2 minutes before the very loud giggling of the three kids working behind the counter ensured we left very sharpish. (I couldn't see an adult in charge and with the attitude of the youngsters, I can't believe that one of them was mature enough to be left in charge of a shop.) I'm not suggesting that everyone who works in a gun shop should not have the odd laugh at work, but there is a time and place for youthful exuberance, serving customers who are looking at lethal weapons isn't one of them. We won't be going back.

Rhiannon

Edited by RhiannonBW

too right he is the worst i have ever dealt with but never again

I stopped using B+S a while ago due to the owners attitude.....

Bywell charge £20 for handling which i considered reasonable, as stated elsewhere you cant expect it for free ....they are helping you out but if others do do it for free then good luck to them.....

Bradfords went downhill years ago and i dont know how they are still in business......

shaun

I agree with peck.

So because the staff made an error of judgement it is ok for the owner to vent his spleen on the customer?

A polite explanation of the error and "sorry but I will have to charge you" would be better would it not?

Not ideal but as you said everyone has to make a living, it's all in the delivery!

Customer is always right. No business owner should be taking out staff incompetence on customers - end of.

Why not take the shortfall off the staff member?

Incidentally it's £15 a transfer down here.

The transfer charge obviously varies, but I have paid between £20 and £45, so to me £30 sounds reasonable and £15 very cheap.

I don't agree the customer is always right, anyone who has ever had to deal with customers will appreciate this and the other thing to remember is, there are two sides to every story.

We use Bradford Stalker occasionally for ammo purchase....combining the price of diesel into the cost makes him about the cheapest. I'm talking .22, & 12g, his reloading for the rifle is way off map.

This attitude problem he has is not new, being ongoing since he moved to Ouston quite a few years back, as for charging, he is actually helping you out, even though I think £30 is to much, next time go elsewhere as stated above, his loss, not yours.

The transfer charge obviously varies, but I have paid between £20 and £45, so to me £30 sounds reasonable and £15 very cheap.

I don't agree the customer is always right, anyone who has ever had to deal with customers will appreciate this and the other thing to remember is, there are two sides to every story.

Agreed. However, what is known here is that the maximum sum in dispute is £30.

I haven't seen many high street businesses willingly and spectacularly fall out with a customer over £30 - maybe a bakery might as £30 is about half the stock in the shop.

So, the only other is the possibility to my mind is that dazaq runs a rival gunshop and is posting stories like this all over the internet to scupper his rival's business :)

The guy sounds like a total **** - but it would appear not specific to that particular shop. I have been to shops down here where the owners have made me feel like a total ***** when I asked questions about different guns in their shop (not unreasonable questions I may add and with the intent to buy one). That said I guess gun shops have some what of a monopoly being so few and far between so sometimes I guess we have to just suck it up and get on with it (or pay a premium to go elsewhere).

However I have had a couple of occaisions to the contrary - PSG knocked £50 off a gun for me without blinking when I told them my budget and saw a nice 12G for £50 more....

On an identical thread to the original post I had a rifle shipped to Broomhills and was told on the phone it would be a certain price.... When I arrived to pick it up the owner stated it was £5 more than I had been told - I explained this to him 'once' and without so much as a question he replied 'Ok - if thats what you've been told thats what it is' ---- NOW THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT. Needless to say I have been back to both establishments many times..

Yeah don't know what it is with gun shops in particular but my local one doesn't have a good rep at all specially among airgun shooters, unless your going in there to spend a few £k's on a pair of beretta's or something you usually get treated like your on the bottom of their shoe.