In car gun rack

DomM

I have a few friends who own landrovers with their guns on a rack without a slip. I was just wondering wether this was legal or not? what about if you left your car to go into a shop for example. Also people in the car behind might feel abit intimadated(sorry for spelling) I was thinking about fitting one of these when i get my series 3 but i didnt know where i stood with the law. This is the rack i meen.post-11658-1232638697.jpg cheers!

All the advice I've seen is to keep guns out of sight, hidden and secure when in vehicles. Whilst we may love our guns and love showing them off, there is a time and a place for it, and driving down the A40 isn't it. I'd keep well clear of anything like this. Took this from a .pdf file over on the BASC site.

Private Individuals

7.1 When carrying firearms etc in a vehicle, the following steps are considered to accord with

the duty to ensure the safe custody of the items.

Vehicles Left Unattended

7.2 Whenever possible, the vehicle should not be left unattended for long periods.

7.3 Vehicles containing firearms and left unattended for any length of time should ideally have

an immobiliser and/or alarm fitted.

7.4 Where possible, they should be parked in a position that would frustrate attempts to enter the

vehicle unlawfully. (eg with the boot close to a wall).

7.5 Where possible, they should be parked where they can be overlooked.

7.6 For preference, the firearms should be stored in the locked boot or other secured load

carrying area of the vehicle. They should be out of sight from passers-by.

7.7 In the case of estates, hatchbacks and similar vehicles, the certificate holder should ensure

that:

a) where fitted, the lid or cover of the load carrying area should be in place, or the

firearms are covered and concealed to prevent their identification;

:sly: if the vehicle is to be left unattended for any length of time, the firearm and

ammunition should not be stored together;

c) where the boot or load carrying area is the most practical place, ammunition should be

secured in an appropriate container ideally, but not necessarily, secured to the vehicle;

d) where it is practical, the bolt magazine or other operating part should be separated

from the firearm and either carried on the person, or kept in a locked container, ideally

secured to the vehicle, or concealed elsewhere.

7.8 Where firearms and ammunition are being carried on a journey which involves their being

kept away from their usual secure storage, the certificate holder should make arrangements to

ensure that they are, so far as is possible, secure. Considerations when firearms are being taken

to venues involving overnight or longer accommodation include:

a) obtaining accommodation that already provides secure facilities;

:birthday: separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm, eg the fore-end of a

shotgun, bolt of a rifle etc;

c) utilising portable security devices, ie security cords etc.

Rhiannon

Where my brother works on a big estate one of those would be useful for the game keeper while he is driving the estate working but I wouldn't use one in public out on the road.

All it takes is some nutter to follow you home maybe to burgle you or maybe an anti wanting to damage your property.

Edited by seb

It's an offence to have a firearm unsheathed in a public place without good reason. The fact it's in your motor means not a jot. If it's visible it's in a public place. I have one of these in my defender and often drape a blanket down over the rifles so they're not visible.

Whilst on a shoot I can see the advantage, anywhere else and you are asking for trouble possibly been accused of negligence regarding the security of your firearms then kiss good bye to your licence.

Also if they were on display and the law wanted to pull you for say a traffic offence and saw the guns, I dont think that they would pull you ............. they would probably wait for the armed response to attend just in case.

It's an offence to have a firearm unsheathed in a public place without good reason. The fact it's in your motor means not a jot. If it's visible it's in a public place. I have one of these in my defender and often drape a blanket down over the rifles so they're not visible.

the problem is even without guns on they shout I have guns, means someone has a fair idea if they can look at your landy when its parked at home that you have guns inside the house

Copy of what I have via e mail for the rack mounted on my Quad when driving on roads

Dear BASC team

I look after vermin control and use my road legal Quad, when I drive to the farms my rifle is in the slip, however once on the farm I mount on a Rifle rack just in front of me, I have to access different areas of the farm via a public road. Can you advise the Law with regards to being on a public highway with a Rifle and the condition it should be in? i.e can you remove all rounds and the mag and transport the rifle in the rack or must it always be concealed from view of the public?

Hello Dan,

The rifle must be unloaded before you go onto a public place, but it does not need to be out of view. So you can unload the rifle and put it on the rack and then travel down the road. As long as the rifle is never left unattended it is not a problem.

Regards

So its not a problem as long as you dont leave it unattended :lol: Please remeber BASC are always happy to advise members and for getting it right I would go to them first, they are always very helpful and in many cases may know more than the local Police!.

As this comes up a lot could it be pinned???

Edited by pavman

the problem is even without guns on they shout I have guns, means someone has a fair idea if they can look at your landy when its parked at home that you have guns inside the house

Point taken but you could equally say the same about BASC stickers, PW sweatshirts, Lightforce lamp mounted on the 4x4 roof, wearing a realtree patterned coat, etc.

My gun rack is currently being used to house a spade and a Farmjack. :lol:

Copy of what I have via e mail for the rack mounted on my Quad when driving on roads

Dear BASC team

I look after vermin control and use my road legal Quad, when I drive to the farms my rifle is in the slip, however once on the farm I mount on a Rifle rack just in front of me, I have to access different areas of the farm via a public road. Can you advise the Law with regards to being on a public highway with a Rifle and the condition it should be in? i.e can you remove all rounds and the mag and transport the rifle in the rack or must it always be concealed from view of the public?

Hello Dan,

The rifle must be unloaded before you go onto a public place, but it does not need to be out of view. So you can unload the rifle and put it on the rack and then travel down the road. As long as the rifle is never left unattended it is not a problem.

Regards

So its not a problem as long as you dont leave it unattended :lol: Please remeber BASC are always happy to advise members and for getting it right I would go to them first, they are always very helpful and in many cases may know more than the local Police!.

Cheers pav you have just answered my question.Instead of taking replies on here as gospel i was going to give Basc a ring,as i quite often have to drive along lanes at night between farms or parts of farms.

Dear BASC team

Hello Dan,

Regards

So its not a problem as long as you dont leave it unattended :good: Please remeber BASC are always happy to advise members and for getting it right I would go to them first, they are always very helpful and in many cases may know more than the local Police!.

Just make sure they are unloaded & the magazine is empty :shifty: :blink: :good: