Ejectors

Fatcatsplat

On the gun sales bit, there are a lot of people that seem to reject guns on the basis of them not having ejectors - Can anyone tell me the advantage of an ejecting shotgun over a non ejecting shotgun? My S/S is non ejecting - Shoot both barrels, break the gun and pull 'em out and chuck 'em in the bin. Would say that reloading takes half a second longer than an ejecting gun.

Anyone got an opinion?

I don't see what the fuss if about really. I had a nice SBS ejector, but as I don't like to leave my carts littering the countryside I always had to stop them flying out the gun. So it made it really pointless. The other thing that annoyed me was that if I had to unload to cross a fence then you cant get your fingers round the darn cartriges.

My lovely little O/U is a non-ejector. It has a wee mechanism that pushes them up clear of the barrels. Perfect. Works the same, fired or not.

I think most people imagine that a non-ejector is like an ejector that hasn't been fired: I.E. The carts are stuck flush with the barrels. No one who has seen or used my O/U has complained that it does not eject the carts.

I don't let them eject right out but like the fact that they pop up a bit making them easier to grab with cold hands. Can be harder with a non-ejector and slow down the reload time when your hands are wet and cold.

That said, I don't see it as a reason to reject a gun.

I suppose it is something you get used to really.

If I'm not wearing gloves, then I tend to remove the cartridge by catching the rim with my nail and flicking it into my hand and dropping it into my pocket in one move and and at the same time dropping the fresh one in. Takes less than a second.

I don't see what the fuss if about really. I had a nice SBS ejector, but as I don't like to leave my carts littering the countryside I always had to stop them flying out the gun. So it made it really pointless. The other thing that annoyed me was that if I had to unload to cross a fence then you cant get your fingers round the darn cartriges.

My lovely little O/U is a non-ejector. It has a wee mechanism that pushes them up clear of the barrels. Perfect. Works the same, fired or not.

I think most people imagine that a non-ejector is like an ejector that hasn't been fired: I.E. The carts are stuck flush with the barrels. No one who has seen or used my O/U has complained that it does not eject the carts.

Totally agree. I actually prefer a non ejector: it suits my type of shooting perfectly although I can see why others prefer ejectors.

I specifically bought a non ejecting O/U a month or so ago purely so i could remove spent cartridges when shooting in rough grass and put them in top pocket.When clay busting,i can chuck them straight into bin and saves me not having to pick them up.I do also have a semi-auto and despite it being a fantastic gun-the empties are ejected sometimes 10ft from me and hard to find in long grass,but is still great for static pigeon shooting.

When you use an ejector, you don't have to spray the cartridges all over the deck :good:

Most shooters quickly get the hang of catching them as they ping out and steering them into the bin in one movement. Much quicker than fumbling and groping about.

Only really important in clay shooting though. Rough shooters who only take two shots a month needn't worry too much about it :shifty:

Each to his own really, I prefer ejectors, so I wouldn't buy a non-ejector