Best group yet .17hmr

tbeagley

Okay, I'm going to look like a real idiot asking this :oops: but if you aim at exactly the same spot on the target, should the round not go through the same hole each time? I mean if the wind stays the same should the bullet not hit the exact same spot?

I'm missing something silly arnt I? :D

Okay, I'm going to look like a real idiot asking this :oops: but if you aim at exactly the same spot on the target, should the round not go through the same hole each time? I mean if the wind stays the same should the bullet not hit the exact same spot?

I'm missing something silly arnt I? :D

It would be nice, but boring if they did. :sly:

Okay, I'm going to look like a real idiot asking this :wacko: but if you aim at exactly the same spot on the target, should the round not go through the same hole each time? I mean if the wind stays the same should the bullet not hit the exact same spot?

I'm missing something silly arnt I? :blink:

To acheive this consistantly the rifle would idealy have to be locked into position but the real factor affecting this feat is ammo.

The brass would have to be sized exactly the same ,powder ,primer and bullets all of exact proportion but as this is mass produced factory ammo the chances of all acheiving this is slim .

The group shown in this post is a very good example considering its factory ammo .

I used to go to ATC in my youth,

We used Anshutes with diopter sights (spelt worng l know) .22lr (with subs) having shot for year and years with air rifles - rough old springers too, it wasn't too hard to pick the whole shooting groupings thing (once taught to lay right, breath right). The range at the huts in Buckingham were only about 25m and after a few tries l got a 1/2" x 1/2" grouping - 5 shots each time, with three shots going through the same hole. As l was a newbie - they didn't belive what i'd done till one of the corprals (spelt wrong) laid behind me with a spotting scope to see me do it again. I dont think at that range it was a lot to do with my skill, more to do with the anshutes rifles - even now l'd have one any day - l think they are used a lot in target comps?

I used to go to ATC in my youth,

We used Anshutes with diopter sights (spelt worng l know) .22lr (with subs) having shot for year and years with air rifles - rough old springers too, it wasn't too hard to pick the whole shooting groupings thing (once taught to lay right, breath right). The range at the huts in Buckingham were only about 25m and after a few tries l got a 1/2" x 1/2" grouping - 5 shots each time, with three shots going through the same hole. As l was a newbie - they didn't belive what i'd done till one of the corprals (spelt wrong) laid behind me with a spotting scope to see me do it again. I dont think at that range it was a lot to do with my skill, more to do with the anshutes rifles - even now l'd have one any day - l think they are used a lot in target comps?

Tommo,

at 25 yrds i can do the same with my air rifle & also my friends .22 lr, but .17hmr at 100 yrds is a totally diferent ball game.

A .22lr sub or a .22 pellet that is 1/4" out at 25 yrds is way off target at 100yrds.

The rifle i am using is not an Anschutz(spelling?)match rifle, but a bog standard CZ Varmint 16" + mod (one of the cheapest rifles around, although excellent in my opinion).

Cheers,

Terry.

Edited by tbeagley

To acheive this consistantly the rifle would idealy have to be locked into position but the real factor affecting this feat is ammo.

The brass would have to be sized exactly the same ,powder ,primer and bullets all of exact proportion but as this is mass produced factory ammo the chances of all acheiving this is slim .

The group shown in this post is a very good example considering its factory ammo .

Also when pulling the trigger you ever so slightly pull the gun, Thats why competition shooters have really light triggers :wacko:

Excellent bit of shooting and something I'd love to be able to consistently achieve myself :no:

I did some rifle shooting at work and there we had to use 10 rounds to get an estimated scoring average, (ESA).

The best I did was 38mm and I never got near it again, staying around the 50's most of the time, until the day of reckoning when it all went out the window and I couldn't get below 80mm :no::no: (Sometimes things are meant to be though :no: ).

P.