Finished my first long net.

tiercel

Well after a bout of the dibilatating man flue this week, today I finaly got my bum in gear and finished the net. All that is left to do is dye the net and add the running lines.

I am hoping to give it it's first try on Sunday, with the help of the weatherman. I am well pleased with the net it is light, weighs in @ 1.55kilos for a 50 yd net with 100% bagging and is very soft to the touch, what it will be like when it is working only time will tell.

2009_0129netneedles0005.jpg

2009_0129netneedles0008.jpg

More pictures to follow once I have it dyed, dried and lined. I will set it up to see how it looks.

TC

Probably about between 60 and 70 hrs total knitting time. If I knitted fast I could do a yard in under an hour. But what I tended to do was do a bit, put it down. I started it 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Last Sunday I had about 5 hrs work left on it and it has taken me since then to do it. I blame the Man Flue :no:

I am making a few 5ft poke nets now and teaching my granddaughter how to knit nets. :no: I am sure it will come in handy for her :no: . Once I have her going on her own I will start my next long net.

TC

I am mightily impressed. A good video of its christening will be a great post on PW.

BTW what is a poke net? and does it have 100% bagging so made at 10foot?

malkiserow

A poke net is essentially a large purse net typically over 5ft long. It is usually 18 to 20 meshes deep and has a draw cord run around it exactly like a purse net, however, unlike a purse net it has two pegs. it can be used on sticks to cover hedge top runs or used to cover holes where multiple tubes emerge making it a very versatile net to have in your bag.

:good: The bagging referred to in the post is essentially the amount of slack netting that is in a net. the net is actually 100 yds in length by cutting the working length down to 50 yds you then have a net that is able to tangle rabbits in it's meshes.

Purse nets and long nets do not work on the same principle. With long nets the rabbit is allowed to tangle in the meshes. With nets that have draw strings the rabbits is pursed by the momentum of it hitting the net.

TC

Yesterday I dyed the net did not come out a bad colour either.

Today I lined the net and put it on endpins. Here are a few pics explaining how to line the net.

First off get your measured lines out. and lay your net out ready.

2009_0201dyednet0004.jpg

Next attache your lines to the line threaded through the selvage of the net.

2009_0201dyednet0005.jpg

The net with the lines ready to be threaded.

2009_0201dyednet0006.jpg

Next thread your lines through the bunched up net.

2009_0201dyednet0007.jpg

Then tie in your second end pin and spread the net out over the lines. I then put the net up on a few pegs as it makes it easier to pick up on the end pins. It was about this time that my fingers stopped working because of the strong bitterly cold Easterly wind. I could not work the camera, when I had picked the net up and got back to the car, I could not open the door my fingers were so numb. :good:

So from this.

2009_0117mw20090004.jpg

To this, about 3 weeks

2009_0201dyednet0008.jpg

Well worth the effort

TC