Snow Foxing

garyb

Well.. I had a call from Nickbeardo around lunchtime yesterday to say that he had returned safe and well from Ireland and was gagging to get out for some night time fun.. I suggested (after looking at the forecast) that evening may be a good idea if we could stand the cold, to get out for a shine in the snow.

I met up with Nick at 8pm, had a quick chat and reviewed some mapping regarding the layout of the permission (I've not shot it before) Truck all loaded and we were off on the short drive to the farm - We spent some time driving round the fields, many are cut in half by roads / footpaths so it was imperative to ensure we were both clear on safe angles of fire.

All happy we safely chambered the rifles (22lr and 223 REM) and begun a quick shine of the first field which proved completely fruitless – not even a bunny... never mind we’ll move on

Arrived by road at the 2nd field where Nick described a small warren alongside a wood of a larger field.. sure enough there were a couple of bunys sat there out around 80 odd yards... tight into the wood – I squeezed off a shot with the rimfire and missed!

Not to worry, we decided to grab the sticks and visit the rest of the field on foot with the rimfire to see if we could miss some more.. Made it to the end of the field, where it then opens up into a larger field of Winter Wheat – still hadn’t seen a bunny, when in the lamp I saw the tell tell eyes of Mr Reynard looking back at us around 250yards away.. I began calling and sure enough he started to move. When I say move, he came very right handed on us and stayed out a good 150 yards at his closest where he then slipped off into the night... damn – I should mention at this point that some wolly (me) left the 223 ammo and Mag locked in the glovebox of the truck from the tour of the previous field... so we just had the rimfire at our disposal.

Lamp on again and there were another pair of eyes staring back at us. I suspect all the calling from the previous attempt had brought this one into the field. So we started again, he was a good 400 yards out.. I was calling and calling and sure enough he started to trot into the lamp... he needed some gentle coaxing from me on the FoxCallUk caller (http://www.foxcalluk.co.uk/) to keep coming.. but coming in he did!

I got him in to around 80 yards where he begun to try and wind us by running right.. I kind of knew then he was lost – and I wasn’t going to attempt a shot at that range with the 22lr – Sure enough he caught us on the wind and he was off! I was kicking myself for not having the 223 all set up and ready to go... but was happy to be able to demonstrate the art of calling to Nick who is new to Foxing himself.

We called the hunt off and hopped into the truck for a quick spin into field #3 which again proved fruitless.. so back at the truck (again) we formed a plan / gamble to enter the “foxy†field at the other end where we had seen the pairs of eyes.

Sure enough within seconds of starting on the caller.. There were eyes looking back at us again!

This time he wasn’t as keen after being lamped earlier... when suddenly out the corner of my eye against the crisp white snow I’ve seen Fox #3 trot into the field from across the road!

Nick hadn’t seen it and was busy thumbling with setting up the sticks! I grabbed the lamp and showed him a fox crossing us diagonally around 80 yards away... he was heading for the safety of the wood... I had the crosshairs firmly placed on his vitals but he wasn’t going to stop, I gave a loud “Oi!!†still he went on oblivious... I gave a “Pssssssttttt†still no interest... So I grabbed the FoxCallUK from around my neck and gave a quick squeal.. He stopped dead in his tracks and a 55grn Sako was dispatched into the night.

Shot was paced just short of 140 yards.. and it was probably one of the biggest Dog foxes I’ve shot!

Happy days! (night) thanks for the opportunity mate and I hope it’s got you hooked :good:

post-2887-1233827705.jpg

Well done mate :good:

Are you giving lessons now? :D

I was out with Pelty the other night & called one in to 45 yds no lamp used at all :yes: we could clearly see out to 400 yds in the snow.

Needles to say the .243 did the job :no: which reminds me he's still lying in my Landy with a gaping hole in him :D

Did you get his brush?

SS

I'm pretty sure that the fox which bumped into my 223 round was the 1st one we saw earlier that evening...

Will you ever shut up about that frigging 223?! I can't wait to get my hands on my .270, just so I can type endless posts about it's beauty and utter finesse, like you do... :yes: