Do You BeLIEve in Global Warming?

V8mondo

Sulfur dioxide emitted from volcanoes and from burning fossil fuel is the primary initiator of global climate change, according to Dr. Peter L. Ward, a retired U.S. Geological Survey scientist who continues to study the earth and its environment through his own company, Teton Tectonics. "Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas compounding global warming, but it is not the initiator of climate change," according to Ward.

In a paper to be published this week, Ward concludes that sulfur dioxide emissions regulate the ability of the atmosphere to clean itself by oxidizing greenhouse gases. Sulfur dioxide reacts quickly with available oxidants, leaving few to react with other greenhouse gases. The primary oxidants, created by the effects of ultraviolet sunlight on ozone, are, like ozone, in limited supply.

Ward observed that the highest rates of global warming in the past 46,000 years occurred precisely when volcanoes were most active. "When very large volcanic eruptions occur every few months," Ward says, "rapid warming follows. Too much sulfur dioxide in a short period of time causes warming."

Link

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Millions of families face yet another hike in heating bills to pay for a massive expansion of green energy.

Ministers say that the money raised will subsidise solar panels, wind turbines and wood-burning boilers for hundreds of thousands of homes.

But critics warn that the levy is an 'insidious' stealth tax that will hammer households at a time of rising unemployment, falling incomes and economic uncertainty.

We are already paying an average of £410 more on our annual energy bills after price rises last year of 59 per cent for gas and 26 per cent for electricity.

The green levy, or 'Renewable Heating Incentive', is part of an energy package to be unveiled today by the Energy and Climate Secretary Ed Miliband.

As well as grants for domestic windmills and solar panels, he will announce plans to insulate seven million homes.

The measures will be funded by the levy on fossil fuel energy suppliers - which will be passed on to us in our household bills.

DailyMail

---------------------------------------

The mass energy audits will be part of the biggest overhaul of the housing stock since switching to gas central heating forty years ago.

"The Great British Refurb" will fit every home in need of insulation in the roof or walls by 2015. By 2030 every home will be offered a "whole house" green refurbishment, including fitting renewable heat technologies like ground source heat pumps and solar panels.

Launching a consultation on the scheme, Ed Miliband, the Energy and Climate Change Secretary, said teams of energy advisers would go around "house by house, street by street" to advise people how to improve their homes.

Loans would then be made available to pay for the new technologies, that can cost thousands of pounds.

It is not yet decided how the massive programme will be funded but it is expected a large amount of money will come from a levy on energy companies that will ultimately be passed onto consumers. An innovative "pay as you save" scheme will link any loan for home improvements to the house rather than the person so that when a family move the repayment passes to the next owner. This would mean people are more willing to invest in expensive technologies like a wood chip boiler.

Mr Miliband said the heat and energy package will cut electricity bills and save millions of tonnes of carbon emissions so that every home is carbon neutral by 2050.

Telegraph

------------------------------------------------------

DR JIM Buckee says he feels like a heretic, persecuted for his views and treated like an outcast. His crime? Being a climate change sceptic.

Next week the former chief executive of the oil and gas firm Talisman, who has a PhD in astrophysics from the University of Oxford, will try to convince others that climate change has nothing to do with human activity.

During a lecture at the University of Aberdeen he will argue that, far from warming, the Earth is set to enter a 20-year cooling period.

Dr Buckee believes human behaviour has no effect on the climate and the vast sums spent by governments trying to promote renewable energy to cut greenhouse gas emissions are being wasted.

Far from being a key cause of climate change, he says, carbon dioxide emissions have little or no impact.

Scotsman

As per your title question. Probably is my answer, however I do have grave doubts as to the causes. I also believe in natural cycles of heating and cooling.

One other thing is also clear, excessive consumption should be restrained and we should use our resources responsibly. I am against using oil for fuel and all for using it to make other materials like plastics. I did write a piece on this matter some time back .... but seem to remember a comment like" waste of band width" in posting. I look forward to using other forms of energy creation/generation such as fusion/highlevel wind/tidal/wave.

I believe that the planet has a natural clock, or so to speak, some times its warm, then it gets cold. Fossils of exotic animals like lion and zebra have been found in the south of england, showing that it was once much warmer than it is now, similar fossils are found by fisherman in the channel and north sea, showing that at one point the sea level was much much lower, but also the climate was warm. I do believe that the whole "global climate change" thing has been blown well out of proportion by the media. people fear the unkown, which I kinda figure is why everyone seems so worried about it.

peoples actions may be causing the warming slightly prematurely, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I am against using oil for fuel

I have oil central heating, but only because I live 5 miles from the nearest place that has gas mains. It simply wouldn't be practical to rely on propane cylinders for fuel.

just my 2p

que the **** storm

I believe in climate change not global warming? as its actually not warmed for over a decade,and the ice sheets / glaciers of the world have extended way beyond average so where is the "warming" and I also believe climate change is more a natural cycle than man made . but hey its easier to tax and control if you can be convinced its down to YOU.

cheers KW

http://www.iceagenow.com/index.htm

Do i believe in global warming NO climate change yes but that is because the climate changes constantly anyway. Just because we have had a relatively stable climate for only a few thousand years the moment it changes a little there is a massive witch hunt to find out why. All the current research is based around simulations on a computer and each one when you read into it will have a fatal flaw :whistling:. The earth is a highly dynamic system, to get any idea of what would happen you would have to include every little system from bacteria up and nobody has done that. If anybody says that their model accurately predicts what will happen just laugh at them and walk off :whistling: because it is impossible to do so. Also dont forget that the researchers get really generous fund to research this so keep an open mind :D

Global Taxing.

This government will do anything to get money.

I dont believe global warming, they said like 10 years ago sea levels will rise in 10 years, has it? No, look at it today and it says the same thing sea levels will rise in 10 years. Its Scientists taking a lucky guess. Its like the scientist say we gonna have the coldest winter in decades, they always say it but mostly its just an ordinary winter.

Nuclear power is the way to go forward or even Fusion power.

df

aye, nuclear power would be a safe bet, but I doubt if the government has enough cash to invest in fusion power, so its unlikely.

this poxy govt is to busy shoring up the corrupt banks to actually invest in useful energy, the next tranche of nuclear build is now going ahead thanks to the french not US, mind you as I now work for EDF and have just had a nice£4.700 payout out then I AM biased :whistling: cant see fusion coming anytime soon mind!

cheers KW

I always consider the universe that we know so little of - well we the people anyway !

The world turns, the solar system turns, the galaxy turns and therefore I guess the Universe turns too... I believe there are other dimensions/universes/multi-verses.

The galaxy we are on the 'suburbs' of, is turning...so we are possibly in a 'Galaxy Spring time' of sorts, to put it in layman terms.

Welcome to the 'Galaxy Summer of Love'

Global Warming Agenda is a fraud. I have no problem with govenrments making rules to limit pollution and the effects of toxic chemicals released in waterstreams etc, but the mere fact that we as humans are making the Earth worse off and heating it up is preposterous and shoddy science at its worst.

I would #reccommend the programme: The Global Warming Swindle which exposes these environmental nazis who want us to live according to their standards.

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites...arming_swindle/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSzItt6h-s

Edited by Guest

I do not believe in global warming. It's complete ********.

Basically we're always going to be getting closer to the sun. However on record, the global climate goes up and down and we're heading toward the peak and in the next 20,000 years we'll end up back in an ice age. So the world will all of a sudden be going on about 'global cooling'

Just live your life how you want and don't change it for the benefit of an unsubstantiated claim.

Yes I have to say i do believe in global warming. I will qualify that by saying it probably isn't man made and has happened before, numerous times.

This reminds me a a BBC news item on Darwin's Galapagos Islands. The **** is doing a piece to camera about the need to 'save' the Islands as they are, because of their influence on Darwin's Origin of Species. Now this has to be the most idiotic, poorly educated excuse for a reporter. The Ironary is unbelievable. The whole point of Darwin's work was to show through natural selection, induced by environmental/ecological change, evolution diverged the species to exploit the new.

Thereby presuming we can 'save' the Islands as is, would suggest a complete lack of understanding about the constant state of flux are environment is in......

Arhhh...that feels better

I believe in Global Warming/climate change. I don't think it's all entirely manmade but I don't think we're helping the situation. We can point to eras in history where the ambient temperature was warmer than it is now, but I don't recall seeing any evidence for such spikes/fluctuations in temperatue occuring within 2-3 decades.

What does worry me about the 'global warming' focus, is that it draws our attention away from the very real pollution and destruction that occurs that is very definitely caused by man. I'm amazed and saddened at the number of people who think that because there are arguments against global warming as a man-made phenomenon, it's suddenly okay to abuse limited resources/leave rubbish/destroy habitats/pollute rivers, etc.

One can still be pro-environment whilst questioning global warming as the sole cause of the environmental problems faced.

Rhiannon

I believe in Global Warming/climate change. I don't think it's all entirely manmade but I don't think we're helping the situation. We can point to eras in history where the ambient temperature was warmer than it is now, but I don't recall seeing any evidence for such spikes/fluctuations in temperatue occuring within 2-3 decades.

Rhiannon

Has it or is it just that we are able to measure it now - like the alleged hole in the ozone layer is it growing or reverting to where it should be after the polution of the late 1800s and early 1900s plus kracatoa - we don't know - we only know it is bigger since we started measuring it. :oops::oops::oops:

And sure the scientists want to big it up - it's jobs for the boys after all. :welcomeani: :o :o

Of all the forums I visit, this forums members have to be the most educated and literate bunch of gun toting loonies I have ever come across to date. :welcomeani:

Thank you for your replies...and my increased confidence in the 'people' of Britain - I am still allowed to call it that aren't I?