General License Modifications

markbivvy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BASC has issued advice to its 122,000 members that they will be able to continue to control pests - and in the case of woodpigeons enjoy sporting shooting - as they have done under general licences since their introduction in 1990.

Did BASC REALLY say that ?

I was under the impression that the ONLY reason for shooting pigeons was as a pest control exercise under the general licence and that "Sporting shooting" was not a good reason for shooting them.

BASC have issued a statement :- BASC

BASC Chief Executive, John Swift, said;

“Those who shoot or use traps to control pests do not themselves have to have tried other methods first. In the unlikely event of an authorised person being challenged by the police he would simply have to state that what he was doing was a contribution to crop protection and cite the extensive literature that demonstrates non-lethal methods to be ineffective and impracticable. He might also add that the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs states in the opening paragraph of the licence “that there is no other satisfactory solution”.

So will BASC pay for a lawyer if some animal rights organisation brings a private prosecution as a test case against a member, and will they allow the member to remain a member if they lose the case?

So will BASC pay for a lawyer if some animal rights organisation brings a private prosecution as a test case against a member, and will they allow the member to remain a member if they lose the case?

Very good point. I wonder?

Someone will find out, think there is someone here who has a contact with BASC's.

Rjimmer makes a few good points.

Somewhere I have a copy of a Ministry of Agriculture report on wood pigeon as a agricultural pest. To summarise the report into a one liner is easy. There is only one effective way to control the growing population of woodpigeon, and thats shooting.

So should I find myself, or any PW friends for that matter stood in the dock, the report will be dug out, dusted off, and presented as evidence.

From memory the report states that various scarers are of no significant effect; we all know that, so why should we conduct a trial run before each bout of shooting.

I for one shant be dotting I's and crossing t's with regard to this particular piece of prctically unenforcible piece of euro compliant waffle.

webber

That sounds like so much ****! How on earth can they enforce that? I know for a fact that there are only stwo cop cars to patrol the whole of the area round near me and they are never going to be able to stop and check every field for someone out after a couple of woodies.

******** to that is all I can say....

Wookie

I think you're misunderstanding the wording slightly Dodger. I think you are correct to say that the only reason is for pest control - it's just that they are pointing out that during the course of this pest control, you are bound to enjoy some sporting / challenging shots.

Hmm, I'm not convinced I've explained it very well either...........

Piebob

Look guys and gals its all part of the big plan to turn the country(side) into a huge recreational area.

The Right to Roam

I.D.Cards

The Hunting Act

Horse Passports

The Stewardship Scheme

The very latest incentives to farmers to change field status, eg create wildlife habitat areas in preference to growing crops and recieve yet more subsidies thus attracting more wildlife observers (the general public) most of whom will most certainly complain about pigeon shooters in the next field, AS THE WALKERS AND HIKERS ARE ALREADY DOING.

WE DON'T MINE COAL

WE DON'T MAKE STEEL

THE WOOL AND COTTON TRADES HAVE GONE

POTATOES ARE GOING

WHO NEEDS FARMERS

NO FARMERS EQUAL NO CROPS EQUALS NO PIGEONS

CLAY SHOOTING GROUNDS ARE NOISEY

WHO NEEDS SHOTGUNS - BLOODY HORRIBLE THINGS THEY SHOULD BE BANNED.

If you think I'm jesting..................... watch what is about to happen to pheasant shooting.

THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL!!!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR VOTE AT THE NEXT GEN ELECTION

I totally agree with Country Boy, until this political party it's sitting on the presidential chair we all got to lose.

Personally I think that what we are experiencing in this moment in time it's just the shadow of a much bigger plan to ban hunting and all affliates.

If we all don't take action now we might pay a very expensive bill in the near future.

Cheers

Marco

I totally agree with Country Boy, until this political party it's sitting on the presidential chair we all got to lose.

Personally I think that what we are experiencing in this moment in time it's just the shadow of a much bigger plan to ban hunting and all affliates.

If we all don't take action now we might pay a very expensive bill in the near future.

Cheers

Marco

What we as country sports enthusiasts lack is cohesion, all the various groups have their own agendas when uniting to fight the anti's would be the way forward.

In general the anti's are not large organisations, have you ever considered that our main interest is the enjoyment of our recreation and fighting off the anti's is secondary whereas their main interest is in seeing ALL country sports banned.

A sobering thought, the least we can do is try to get rid of that rotter Mr. B.Liar when the opportunity arises shortly.

I'm at a loss to comprehend why our so called "government" panders to minority groups and to illegal immigrants who bring nothing of value to the table, those who read the article from the link I recently posted regarding new legislation will be horrified by the implications of "re-categorising" gypsies and travellers. The likes of us as tax payers will yet again be forking out to subsidise low life scum who once ensconced in their new site will come round and empty your shed and garage of all the things you've worked hard to pay for, own shotguns without certificates and run dogs unchallenged by Police.

We are on an exponentially steepening slippery slope !!!!!

In general the anti's are not large organisations

and thereby lies the problem!!

This country is now run by people who are so politically correct they are avidly fighting themselves to be the next "champion" of a minority opinion, and the judiciary will support them to the hilt, notice the absolute disgrace to allow the young muslim the right to wear whatever suits her albeit she HAD signed to say she would accept the schools uniform policy before joining the school? and turned down the oppertunity to attend a muslim school that allowed the wearing of "cultural" attire, getting rid of blair will make no difference, only a radical change in political culture and a realisation(probably to late) that OUR country is being taken from us willy nilly will maybe save the day?

cheers keith

notice the absolute disgrace to allow the young muslim the right to wear whatever suits her albeit she HAD signed to say she would accept the schools uniform policy before joining the school? and turned down the oppertunity to attend a muslim school that allowed the wearing of "cultural" attire

Not to mention that she is now seeking legal aid to sue for compensation which I wouldn't mind betting she will get !!!

Going back to a comment I made recently: what about the barbaric way in which some ethnic/religious minority groups are allowed to kill animals to eat !!!. If you or I did it we'd be locked up. It is just another example of double standards, if they don't like it I'm afraid they can sod off to a backwards country where it is traditional to kill animals in a cruel fashion for my money.

Now there is political incorrectness for you, it's about time we stood up on our hind legs and started shouting the odds I reckon.

Easy to see how fascism can start in a country ain't it.

:< :< :<