New bike- opinions/options

death from below

I'm after a new bike after about 5 years of being off two wheels(kids/missus etc). Gone are my days of super sport 1 litre jobs.... I fancy either a Kawasaki Z750 or a Yam XT660X (A bit of a difference I know). Does anyone on here own either or has an opinion.....It will be mainly for communting (but commuting with a smile on my face as apposed to a bandit boring ride).

Getting insureance quotes for about 200 - 230 quid for both and running costs are similar.......oh how I long for summer days riding back rom an early shift(the 1 hour journey that ends up being two hours) :hmm:

sorry mate, but if you think a bandit is a "borin" ride, you just ridin it wrong mate.... before mine got mangled ( and me) i could out do alot of folk on many top end bikes... it'll let you throw it round if your the heavey handed type, knee down no probs... great whoppingt wheelies...massive stoppies....pilots cooked blue with bits of rubber splattered all over the back end.... quick as you like.....

nothing boring there mate... unless of course, you ride like my nan. :hmm:

Out of the 2 I'd go for the Yamaha, but if you're considering all year round commuting, go for a Honda - much better build quality :lol:

A nice little Hornet with a well proven engine, brilliant handling, brakes etc and bloody cheap ...........

Or failing that, a CBR600RR :hmm: They even do one with ABS now :cry1:

Oh you lucky man, all those choices, (as said before though, I'm sure you'd much prefer a litre sportsbike, I had the Blade out last week - bloody awesome!).

P.

Apologies myzeneye, I was sounding a bit of a bandit basher......I rode one(a 600) a few years back after a two hour country lane blast on an R1....so the bandit seemed very tame in comparison.....I have had turbo nutter ****** 1200 bandits go past me on one wheel so I take your views as accepted. :good:

The crazy thing is I don't have any up front cash to buy a decent second hand one(and I hate getting bank loans) ....all the big companies seem to be doing 0% deals and I saw in MCN that George Whites are giving away shed loads of bike gear with several bikes(got no clothing as gave it all away when I decided to stop riding a few years ago.....D'oh!).

I reckon the XT may be fav at the moment though malk'

our kids selling his zx9r which is tricked up to death, absolutley immaculate lives in his living room !! never done a hard days work ever.... he wants 2k for it and believe me, its worth every penny mate.... its probably one of the cleanest, most well looked after bikes youl find ....goes out the occaisional sunday afternoon ... its decced out in world super bikes decals with fancy undertray/lights/screen/accraprovic pipe/harris rear sets ...brake upgraded(poss aquip i think)...

anyone whos interested let me know... 2 grand...to fund a new camera lense :blink:?:good:?:good:?:good:?:P?? i ask you :beer:?:beer:??

oh yeah...no worries on the bandit bashing !! :good: not what you ride its how you ride it..ive been out with lads on r1's and blades that i could take on a cub90.....

Edited by myzeneye

A fair proportion of my route will be on the A13 which through the essex bit is a fairly fast three laner....my only reservation about the XT would be on that stretch....I reckon it would be great on the 'london' bit of my joureny as the trafic does build up rapidly. The Z would handle the fast bits better and the XT might get a bit blown about whereas the Z would travel better.

Decisions decisions.....I've always fancied a Triumph 'bug eye turbo nutter speed T' as well

our kids selling his zx9r which is tricked up to death, absolutley immaculate lives in his living room !! never done a hard days work ever.... he wants 2k for it and believe me, its worth every penny mate.... its probably one of the cleanest, most well looked after bikes youl find ....goes out the occaisional sunday afternoon ... its decced out in world super bikes decals with fancy undertray/lights/screen/accraprovic pipe/harris rear sets ...brake upgraded(poss aquip i think)...

anyone whos interested let me know... 2 grand...to fund a new camera lense :good:?:good:?:P?:beer:?:beer:?? i ask you :yay:??????

oh yeah...no worries on the bandit bashing !! :good: not what you ride its how you ride it..ive been out with lads on r1's and blades that i could take on a cub90.....

I still love my zx9r after owning it for around 9 years... gave it a treat of oil & filter change today - £32 for 4 litres of oil!!! :blink: .

It's 10 years old and still in mint condition! :good:

ZX9Rsmall.jpg

Edited by Tony9r

Spent a glorious saturday morning touring the bike shops of Essex(some anyway) with kids in tow.....I have discounted both Suzuki(although I did like the sv650 sport although I think I would outgrow it pretty quickly) and Honda as a brand.....they just don't do it for me.

Off to look at Yamaha and Kawasaki 2moro.....really do fancy the XT although there are great deals on 08 ZX6R's floating about(and a quick dip sample of insurance was coming up at £500 fully comp so i reckon i can get at least another 60 quid off that) so it might be a supersport after all......just haven't spoke with the boss yet(Mrs DFB) about finance :angry:

I still love my zx9r after owning it for around 9 years... gave it a treat of oil & filter change today - £32 for 4 litres of oil!!! :good: .

It's 10 years old and still in mint condition! :yes:

ZX9Rsmall.jpg

Lovely looking bike mate, but I bet it's only been out in dry weather?

How many miles has it done?

Sadly, you'll never get what it's worth if you ever come to sell it, (how much would you take :angry: ).

P.

Lovely looking bike mate, but I bet it's only been out in dry weather?

How many miles has it done?

Sadly, you'll never get what it's worth if you ever come to sell it, (how much would you take :angry: ).

P.

Cheers mate... yes it's hardly seen rain, only the odd occation when I get caught out :yes:

Just coming up to 12k, and I wouldn't sell as I'd never be able to get another :good: