Uncle had a stroke, quite a shock

agusta

My uncle who is in his early 80's and only just recovered from cancer of the bladder the other year had a stroke last month. I've been away for a while and just managed to speak to him, what a shock. I knew he had problems with speech but nothing could have prepared me, last time we spoke was a month before Christmas, he would talk for hours :angry:

I've decided to go and see him tomorrow and sort his shopping out. The easiest words such as pork, lamb, grapes, tea etc he cant say its just a jumble, it took an hour to figure out what he wanted which wasn't much. He cant even make a sentence he can just about string a few words together then that's it but he knows what he wants to say but cant say it, it must be unbelievable frustrating, I would go nuts!

He was a huge reader and would read 2 or more books per day, now he cant even make sense of the first few words, but he can still work with numbers so sudoku seems to be all he can do at the moment.

To see my uncle who recalled some really interesting stories during his early years and was seriously practical (used to design jet engines for Rolls Royce) reduced to pretty much baby talk is really really sad and to know thats gone forever.........

Anyway I'm rambling now :good:

tjmoore

So sorry to hear about your uncle.

I have look after two members of my famliy who have had them.

You said he can do sudoku.

So have you tired listerning books with him. You can get the wide range in the shops now and libraries do agood range too.

Also go to the disabilty shop most towns have them now they might be able to come up with a few suggestion for you.

I also found radio was a great souce of comfort to my grandad when he had his and was bedridden andcould not talk.

Ialso got him those little cards with words on like e.g cat. dog. house .

The early learning centre was also the great place to shop for the other relation of mine who had suffered the stroke.

It is a very slow and long road that you uncle is on now.

But it will make it more easly for him to bare if he shares his journey with someone.

Its sad to see someone who was so great in your eyes become nothing more then the baby.

And i remember when i look after my grandad we would both just sit and cry.

But the goals we achieve out way those moments.

And i got to learn more about the man then i would ever of had.

Best of luck to the both of you.

xxxxSuzy

With help he may be able to regain some or all of his speech, unless you have been informed otherwise. A friend of mine had a stroke and was very badly affected by it, yet apart from losing some motor skills in his left arm and a lot of the power, he managed a very good recovery, I hope this will be the same for your Uncle.

My dad died of a couple of massive strokes a few years back. 5 months ago, my mum had a small one which really knocked her confidence. She's back to 90% normal now, but she still has the odd problems finding the right word for some things.

Sometimes it just takes a bit of time for the brain to get working properly again. Hope it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been online for a few days, had a bit of a **** time to be honest.

Received a call from my father Friday saying he couldn't contact his brother (my uncle) I told him not to worry and phone the next day. Still he couldn't contact him, so I managed to get in touch with a relative who lived nearby. They went round and found him at the bottom of the stairs unconscious, ambulance and police requested as no one could unlock the door into the property. Ambulance turned up but surprise surprise the ******* police didn't, so my relative broke in and he was taken away.

Its being touch and go the past few days he is awake but in a lot of pain. Just received a call from the hospital 10 minutes ago, they believe he has a hernia and part of his bladder/stomach is trapped, they are operating tonight so must be serious.

Not much sleep for me tonight.....again :rolleyes:

I know how you feel at the moment .

My dear uncle is not a very well man at this moment (just the matter of time)theirs nothing more they can do but make him comfortable.

I only found out last week.So he has been in my thoughts most of the time.

When i was little my parents though no fault of their own could not look after me or my big sister.

So we had to go live with my grandparents who were busy people(farmers).

So my uncle used to take us off their hands at weekends. To give them a break. He used to race cars so we would spend most of the weekend watching him race it was great fun. And he would always take us round the lap after the races were done. He would also let me ride on the bonnet as long as i did not tell nan when i got back.

He would run a bar at weekends too. And as we were under a certain age we used to sit under the bar and he would feed as crisps,sweet and coke whenever he got the chance.

I spent many the summer with oil and coke strains down my clothes and i loved every minute of it.

This last week i have relived those moments alot in my head.And i know now that when the time comes it is really going to knock me for six.

I feel like it will be one more bit of my childhood gone for ever.

And then i feel selfish as for my dad his brother was his childhood.

Am sorry for being so down . But sometimes you just forget how important some people are in your lifes and how much they have shape your lifes . untill they have gone.

Thinking of you.And hope its good news with your uncle.

xxxxxSuzy