Thinking of quiting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to ask yourself ''What am I offering them in return?''

Now, the most obvious answer is ''Pest control'' But, most farmers and landowners find, that inless you're going to be there 5 days out of the week, every week, you do very little but make noise distrubance and maybe shoot 4 or 5 of the thousands of pests - Which is hardly worth all the worry of having a complete stranger out with a firearm on your land.

You have to offer something ELSE in return if you're not willing to do it as a full time occupation - I've currently shoot on three different bits of land, one 3000 arce estate because I work every monday with the gamekeeper, - Ferreting around a place that I'm at most of the time anyways (Again, I know the person who gave me permission) and shooting with a hushpower around the livery where my girlfriend owns a horse. I get to shoot on these because I'm known and trusted by the people who own them.

So the obvious way is to get known, if someone knowns who, there 90% more likly to give you permission if you're some strange who knocks on there door, failing that, offer them something else, like labour (but for the love of god, don't pay for it).

Edited by Bleeh

Been out knocking doors this morning and same result nowt,farm tractors everywhere drilling and thousands of pigeons,i have told them i am available if needed 7 days a week as i am retired.I give each one a card with all my details and contact info.Dont really see what more i can do

Mick

Been out knocking doors this morning and same result nowt,farm tractors everywhere drilling and thousands of pigeons,i have told them i am available if needed 7 days a week as i am retired.I give each one a card with all my details and contact info.Dont really see what more i can do

Mick

just get yourself known mate, farmers are a suspicious lot (and to be fair who wouldnt be if a complete stranger knockedon the dorr wanting to shoot their land). i guarantee as soon as you get to know them youll get permissions easier, and once youre shooting for one farmer youll meet others in the vicinity, once they get to know you as well theyll let you onto their land :yes:

Approaching farmers is difficult i think everybody agrees, it coulb be mick you look a bit to professional, when i went out last week i turned up in jeans and boots and told them a bit about myself before i asked for permission, out of 6 farms i got 40 acres which isnt much but its a start,Whilst out looking around the shops i also checked the back of gunsmiths doors and from one of those aderts ive just joined a local club with two brilliant shoots that i can shoot 364 days of the year. top stuff and only been in the game for a couple of weeks. Change tact relax a bit more and stick with the clays for now most shooters are top blokes and youll get something if you perseveer.

Andy.

. . . . are farmers really that difficult up north?

Sorry to derail but Worcester, "up North"?! Have you actually seen a map of England?? Blarrrdy savvarners . . . :yes:

I'm not going to be renewing with NPPC this year as there are fewer and fewer fields becoming available in the ACTUAL North of England, so i'm going to be in the same boat soon. Have to say i'm not looking forward to it :yes:

Mark

Edited by Breastman

what about the nppc, if there's land in your area you wont have to travel too far, i think once youve joined you just phone up for available land in your area and they tell you where you can go on a given date

http://www.nppc.co.uk/

mikee

Mikee to be honest mate i would not touch that lot with a barge pole,no matter how desperate i got

Mick

Sorry to derail but Worcester, "up North"?! Have you actually seen a map of England?? Blarrrdy savvarners . . . :yes:

I'm not going to be renewing with NPPC this year as there are fewer and fewer fields becoming available in the ACTUAL North of England, so i'm going to be in the same boat soon. Have to say i'm not looking forward to it :hmm:

Mark

Anything north of Watford Gap is up Norf :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I am 49, a newby to shooting, half blind :good: , inexperienced, and a foreigner as well.

I have had no difficulties getting permission at all - been refused twice but given permission on 6 locations.

Try this:

You should approach getting permission as a long-term "sales and marketing " campaign.

No sensible landowner is going to give you permission to shoot on their land without knowing you and your skills level and experience.

In my view, the standard "permission letters" you find on these forums do not work as an initial approach - you have to personalise a relationship first! (be it over a pint in the Pub, by chatting up the farmers daughter, or by buying their produce!)

Apart from the earlier advice to become a beater on a shoot, which is good advice, I suggest you should become the customer of a farmer who sells his produce directly to the public. Built a relationship, become trusted paying customers, become friendly with them, and then - and only then- pop the question asking for permission while chatting about the damage done by pests.

During your "research" period you could find out about local shoot syndicates, footpaths, rights of way, if land has been cleared for fire-arms, etc etc.

Target 2 or 3 local farms at the same time - with a bit of luck you may get shooting permission on one by the late Spring/Summer. Accept that each landowner will have their own view on what is vermin and what is not! For example on one of my permissions I can shoot anything classed as vermin and suitable for air rifles, and on a neighbouring property I can only shoot grey squirrels and magpies, as the lady who owns the land likes to see the rabbits play on her lawn, and she loves the "chatting" of the rooks in her mature trees..."

Also, permission leads to more permission. Start with a small local smallholder with 5 acres who sells some eggs, move on to a larger farm quoting your experience, results and existing permission next year.

And don't forget there are many people with large houses and very large gardens who are delighted with some help clearing rabbits and grey squirrels - in fact some of the best shooting is to be found in private gardens as the bio-diversity is often better than on large intensively farmed estates. And these locations are often only suitable for air rifles as a shotgun or FAC rifle would be unsafe.

Golf courses, industrial units, equestrian businesses, schools' sports grounds etc are also good places to look for permission. And if there is any commercial woodland in your area you may get permission for grey squirrels.

Try to find a responsible "buddy" in your area who is prepared to take you out on his permission (with the landowners permission of course) and will show you the ropes. Many people are happy to share their experience -but do not try to get permission on land you have been invited to shoot as a guest, unless it is offered to you. You may upset the current permission holder and get a bad name.

It may be worthwhile to contact your local office of the NFU or CLA. Also talk to people at FWAG or the local Wildlife trust: Many people working in conservation are involved in shooting/hunting themselves and will be sympathetic and understand the issues. It is not a bad thing to be aware of conservation issues and "sell" your shooting as "conservation shooting" instead of "pest control" - providing of course you really feel strongly about conservation.

Finally, being well dressed, not showing tattoos, removing any metal body art from you face, not wearing camo when visiting a landowner, and generally being polity, kind, safety-concious, considerate etc is always helpful.

Good luck

Iv tryed all of the above and had no luck, i have one very small amount of land that just gets me by but its shred and am looking for more even farmers me and my farther have helped many times have declined us shooting permision on a regular basis we just get maybe once a year or a call asking us to do something with woodys that are trashing a feild but o so often its one shot and they are all gone for the rest of the day.

I think the shooting community is going to have to accept that with less and less people allowing shooters onto there land and the rising cost of shooting we are going to see it become a more regular thing. I know 3 bloke dropped there FAC`s and one whos packed up completely and the thought has passed through my head before.

mate im struggling at finding a permission to shoot, and i have been looking for 8 months, in feb i almost packed it up, im an air rifle shooter, but still i was all set to pack up the gun for good, put it in the cupboard to gather dust, now i have been searching for double the time you have mate, and i have had NO LUCK what so ever, the idea is to do what i do, and then build it up, search the local area for permission knock doors, if you get rejected, WIDEN your search a bit, same thing if no luck, widen, then if no luck there, go back to the first lot of farms, offer something other than just pest control, if you have a skill (mechanic, plumber, carpenter, electrician) it will get you everywere, look for fields in particular that are getting ABSOLUTLEY SLAUGHTERED by the *******, and then offer your services, and if you have a skill and you turn up as the tractor packs up, or the farmer reverses accidentally through the front door, or the gate, you can offer help to fix it for a bit of shooting, heck even if it isnt a permanent fixture its shooting, and if you do a good job he may ask you again, and again if none of this works, ASK THE FARMER, if he hasnt got any going, ask him if he knows anyone that does need some pest control, or if he can pass your name on.... seriously mate, dont give up, with 4 shotties, hit the clays, post a plea in the gaining permissions section, DO NOT GIVE UP ok, or you can go in into the local pubs and chat to the farmers in there... dont give up mate, dont want this hobbie of ours to die anymore....!

GOOD LUCK

And Happy Shooting

Mark

:good:

Ever thought about taking up wildfowling. There are plenty of clubs around the country looking for new members. I would think Glostershire fowlers is your nearest club. You could contact BASC they will know of any clubs closer to you. You just have to keep at it. While I have always had some shooting ( wildfowling in the main ) it took me 10 years to get some local pigeon shooting and then it just snowballed as one farmer talked to another and now I have 7,000 acres to shoot pigeons over.

As for the gear , I would get it now so you will be ready when some pigeon shooting comes up. You will look pretty silly if a farmer asks you to protect his rape tommorow morning and you have not got any decoys\ hides ect.

dont be stupid i sold all my guns a few years ago big mistake it has took me about 8 grand so far to replace them soon as you sell them something will come up atb

Paul i understand what you are saying mate,if there had been any sign that any of the farmers i have spoken to would maybe give a positive response it would be different.All around where i am sat now there are bird scares going off every few minutes,seems the farmers will spend money to use these rather than let a guy get rid of the pests for free...................makes no sense mate

ATB Mick

I know the feeling, being a Jockanese in Suffolk. but had help from my next door neighbour and shooting at a local clay ground that way they can seen you and talk to you. Its easier and more friendlier that way.

Help goes both ways. There is always a service you can do some one, talk is better than letter,or phones calls. ONE to one is the best approach

Brian

PS Good luck

I am really new to this, So new that I have not got the shot gun yet! I dont have any land yet! But I have been looking at ways to get some.

Here is an idea, I am not saying it will work but its worth ago. What about finding out your local agriculture papers (The ones that Farmers would read) and placing an advert in there for a few weeks. You never know your luck.

Dave

Edited by dapper

Guns not been out of safe for 4 weeks now,bored shooting clays so best i sell the lot and move on

Mick

Mate,

Id give up if I were you - it seems non of the advice given on here 'suits you'. Maybe thats the issue - you want it your way which as I'm sure people will agree is not the way it ususlly works... If your are really suggesting giving up then do so - with an attitude like that you will get no where...

Its not about dressing smart (usually to the contrary) looking prepared is the key and as you have said you haven't got 'all the kit'. What would happen if a farmer took you up on your offer - would you go and buy the kit the next day (i doubt it) and if you did would you be proficient with it (even less likely).

I would say (and this is only base don your post and responses to advice on this thread) you need a change of attitude if you are to get anywhere with the farmers.

Good luck either way