Argument for the sake of it

tobster

There are obviously alot of youngsters who are members of this forum. Some talk some sense, most talk utter ****!!

If you're under 18, ain't got an FAC, and have to go out with daddy every time you shoot, then stop pretending to be a bloody expert. :D:/:lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbs:

There are obviously alot of youngsters who are members of this forum. Some talk some sense, most talk utter ****!!

If you're under 18, ain't got an FAC, and have to go out with daddy every time you shoot, then stop pretending to be a bloody expert. :D:/:lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbs:

You should have been around Tobster when their was the resident expert on here. My did he have an answer for everthing. Some of his posts were quite amusing. I didn't mind him too much but from what I can gather he got on a few peoples nerves

He wasn't old enough to buy a lottery ticket so no more :lol::lol::lol:

Jonno

Sorry tobster, I have to disagree with your comment. OK there are, and have been, a few youngsters that should think before they post, and even some that should never post.

But on the other hand there are quite a few youngsters that have many years experience, and can put forward a good argument to any case. Experience is gained sometimes by "going out with daddy" and watching, listening and learning,

not by being 18 and having an FAC.

I can promise you I would have more faith in shooting alongside some of the youngsters on this forum, than a lot of the 18+ year old FAC owners that I have come across in my time.

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment.

I have shot with young lads who have been taught how to shoot and how to use their guns in a safe and courteous manner.

I have also been out with old men who think ****** all about holding their shotgun in the crook of their arm and allowing it to point at the side of my head whilst I am walking alongside them. :D (This is absolutely true).

Age is no guarantee of knowledge, although I agree that in general experience does come with age. As for the youngsters on this forum, well I think we should be there to encourage them where possible, and the give them the benefit of any knowledge when they fall down on anything.

We were all young once, and didn’t we think we knew everything?? :thumbs:

G.M.

tobster... Though I agree with you to some extent I assume you were a youngster once.! only through interaction with our peers do we learn as we become adults. I am sure I have spouted a lot of **** in my younger years ( some say i still do ) :thumbs:

Be tolerant, You know which posts are drivel and which are not and ignore them :D

Comments like that can come across as arrogant and condescending, it'll chase away younger people from this forum. I think that your comments were unecessary and although you put smilies in it to convey that it was supposed to be light hearted, it won't come across like that to younger people.

The majority of the hunting accidents here in the States are caused by adults. Just remember those comments when you are a senior citizen and your kids don't want to spend time with you. :thumbs: .

My own father shouldn't be allowed near a firearm, although he claims to have used guns since he was a child. He has had so many accidental discharges that I stopped doing any shooting with him. He has shot out the light switch twice in his house, put a round through the dining room table (hitting the bottle of nail polish my mother was just using), was watching a western on TV so had to play around with one of his guns and shot the television, put a round through the floor and shot himself in the leg whilst cleaning his gun. He even refused to go to the hospital when he shot himself because a police report has to be filed. He also illegally shortened a 22 rifle down to a hand gun and got in trouble with BATF.

Edited by Crowblaster

My own father shouldn't be allowed near a firearm, although he claims to have used guns since he was a child. He has had so many accidental discharges that I stopped doing any shooting with him. He has shot out the light switch twice in his house, put a round through the dining room table (hitting the bottle of nail polish my mother was just using), was watching a western on TV so had to play around with one of his guns and shot the television, put a round through the floor and shot himself in the leg whilst cleaning his gun. He even refused to go to the hospital when he shot himself because a police report has to be filed. He also illegally shortened a 22 rifle down to a hand gun and got in trouble with BATF.

Christ :D

Sounds... . like he is John Wayne.. America is the best place for him :/ :thumbs:

FM.

I think you call this ageism :lol: I can't disagree with you more; I know from my own experience that I was out in the field with my dad from about the age of 5 and from reading shooting books I knew a lot more before I had an FAC than a lot of my fathers shooting companion.

I think you should apologise for that comment, because we had red stag (not sure where he is now) on this forum who was under 18 and he knew a lot more than a lot of members on this forum.

Ollie

My father never shot, I always had an interest in shooting at a young age and got into shooting properly through work colleagues, that was nearly 25 years ago and at that time there was'nt any computers or forums, I would of loved to have access to a forum such as this to get me off the mark, ok some of the younger lads may post some stuff that older and wiser members probably would'nt post but surely they should be encouraged rather than ticked off (or even run out of town :thumbs: )

as one of the forementioned people i personally dont see it as true in the slightest, i think a person who as you say is brought up with guns basically, is going to be safer than a DIY shooter who is self tought.

the amount of safety that has been tought to me has given me alot of respect for the sport and the tools we all use, my dad tought me the correct range safety, field craft and saftey, he gave me graphic demonstrations of their power, and tought me almost everything he knows.

i would like to think that i could easily give an answer to anyone who talks about any aspect of handloading or rifle shooting (shotguns are not my main sport) i would hope that a few of the members on here would agree that i give inteligent and well informed responses (most of the time we all have off days.... :thumbs: )

personally i think that a kid who has been brought up under 'daddy' is more likely to be a safe shooter in the long run and a benefit to the sport

Edited by dunganick

i think theres a reincarnation of good old "ALED CK" on here, any guesses who it is :lol::D:/ right me off for a curry n a pint wiv the mrs :thumbs:

I agree Digga :lol::lol::lol:

That done as well, I'm off for a few pints, got a snooker match on at 8pm. Thats another one of my passions and the juvenile, pap sucking, purse string clutching little t0ssers seem to think they are better at. BUT NOT :lol::lol::lol:

jonno

If you're under 18, ain't got an FAC, and have to go out with daddy every time you shoot, then stop pretending to be a bloody expert. :/:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

I guess you have a right to an opinion ,as does everyone ,but i do feel a better side to your comment of under 18 aint got an FAC ect ect ,would be to correct what you beleive to be wrong ,offer the right advice and training if nessasary in a good natured way, as do many here.

Also understand you were young once,as were we all , someone took you under their wing ,we seem to be very quick to criticise but not to cure.

Just my opinion ,i dont beleive im an expert but i can help others towards their goal of safe enjoyment of the sport.

Martin :thumbs:

I dont claim to be an expert and have to admit i dont post much on this site anymore but i do take offense to that tobster. I dont offer advice to many people unless im 100% sure its right or its from my own experiences not bullsh*t. I may go out with my father and to tell you the truth i enjoy going out with him because at the end of the day he is my dad and he does no more than me and i think we all agree we never stop learning :thumbs:

Edited by jordan

You may belive the younger some body is the less they know and in some cases this maybe true but you can't just critisise people with out having a clue about them ! i supose by your statment you belive you can shoot better than most young people as you think you know more more about shooting in general well the harsh reality is that you could know every thing there is to know about range windige bullets loading excetera but at the end of the day if you can't shoot none of that makes the blindest bit of diffrence and if your not taught to shoot in the first place by some one who knows what they are doing then you don't have much of a firm foundation to start on !

im sorry mate but thats just my opinion and im 17 but i do have a FAC

looks like we are a little out numbered hill billy :thumbs:

at the end of the day you might not like the 'youth of today' but we are going to be the future of the sport, so i think saying people are talking out of their backsides isnt really constructive or helpful...if youve got a problem with them i would have thought it better to address it or just not make comments which some people might take offence to

as many people seem to forget we are all working for the same aim and are on the same side

your welcome to have your opinion and i appreciate that, i just hope you can appreciate mine and other youths on this site

I was worried that I would be in trouble for leaving that post and defending the youngsters...instead you found out the truth...I was indeed the product of an accidental discharge :*) .

Yes my father is dangerous with a firearm. I had taken him out to some property I shoot on, just plinking, and I left him at the bench...I start hearing the whine of ricocheting bullets. He is shooting at some rocks laying next to the berm he is supposed to be shooting into. Once again I have to intervene. Since he and my mother divorced I never sees him anymore...thank goodness.

This is even scarier...he would mow the lawn wearing bathing trunks, no shirt...a hat as big as a sombrero, long white socks pulled up to his knees and flip flops. The bathing suit is pulled way up on his stomach causing bulging plums...or is it prunes when you get that old? Being overweight...he weighed in at like 260 then...and older, his stomach had dropped to form what looked like a marsupial pouch under his tightly fitting bathing trunks. Quite the site I can tell you.