PLEASE help me with erratic accuracy (HW35 in .22)

Carlisle

Dear all,

I am very frustrated with my hw35. I got it used off of a member of this forum several months ago and have since shot just over 1000 shots with it. I have had inconsistent accuracy pretty much from the get go. At first, I pinned it down to this being my first springer and accuracy would come as I got to know the trigger etc.

1000 shots later, I am getting extremely inconsistent accuracy. I don't know if it's my scope, my gun, or me!

At about 15 yds, I'll shoot a few shots into 1/2 or 3/4 inch groups, and then the next few shots might me 2, 3, or even SIX inches away from my POI, MOST often below.

I've read everything I could find about springer accuracy and I believe I am doing everything fairly right-I keep my eye the same distance from the scope each shot, I keep a light hold with both hands, allowing the gun to recoil freely. I try to keep my scope on the POI after the shot has been fired. I pull the trigger using a firm, smooth squeeze directly backwards and never to either side. I have tried all three shooting positions, as well as all manner of improvised bench rests (never resting the gun on hard surface, always on skin). I KEEP shooting all over the target. Always the same story-a few accurate shots, a few several inches away from my POI!

Shooting and hunting is one of my favourite activities-never done much rifle shooting beyond the odd .22lr belonging to friends. I have a crossbow with which I can put multiple 'arrows in the same whole (splitting arrows unless I aim at seperate places) and a 45 lb recurve bow with which I can get 3-4" groups at 20 yds. But my 'accuracy' with the HW35 is laughable no matter what I do!

Is it even POSSIBLE for these guns to be this innacurate or does this HAVE to be the shooter's fault? I thought Weihrauch was renowned for supurb accuracy! I have an HW45 in .177 and I'm getting tighter groups than with the rifle!

What am I doing wrong?

Does the gun need to be taken apart, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled? This is the only thing I can think of! It shoots with a slight 'twang' which I've read is indicative of a gun which needs tuning. I know the HW35 is about as easy as it gets in terms of DIY assembly and tuning etc, but I have NO confidence whatsoever in my ability to take it apart.

I live in Glasgow and Edinburgh (guns stay in Edinburgh). Is there anywhere I can take my gun to here in Scotland to have it serviced?

Do you think the frequent shots dropping 4-6" below my POI is indicative of power inconsistency shot to shot? I don't have a chrony (would love to find a cheap one somewhere as I don't have much £). I think the HW45 isn't getting enough velocity either-it seems significantly slower than the HW35 which I think is shooting in the high 500's. The HW45 seems to be in the low 500's which is a bit low for a .177 hw45.

THANK YOU ALL for addressing my concerns. I am distraught.

:D:yay::good::drinks:

He said he just wanted a change...

I've tried the purple tin of Wasps, RWS hobby, and H&N domed... So far I think the H&N are the most accurate, but I keep getting stray shots.

Anyone know how I would go about getting it tuned here in Scotland?

rws ,h+n are usually good might be worth trying AA fields and super domes

may sound daft but do you have a quick check of the pellet before loading ?

a damaged skirt ect will give you a flier .....

is there a silencer fitted ? might be clipping that ....

i would invest or borrow a chronograph to see if power is consistant though :good:

Scrap the eleys, stick with one make. Rws are ok, but I would use AA fields. Also check for play on the barrel hinge pin, might just need a slight tighten, any play here will be huge at the end of the pellet flight path. Dont forget also that the .22 does have a very curved flight path so a zero at say 20 yds will be a very different point of impact at either 15 or 30. One other thing to be aware of is dieselling. If the previous owner was a little over generous with the grease that will have a huge impact on consistancy and therefore accuracy. I had a hw35 for years. Good rifle but I found its balance made it difficult for me to shoot accurately. I have an aa tx200 and this is hugely different although still a springer. Hope this info helps.

Good luck.

Edited by turbo33

Reading back over your post, assuming you have a reasonable scope that will cope with the recoil from a springer and its not creeping, I would give the gun a strip and service. Dead easy. Heres a link to a parts supplier and exploded diagram of the rifle. http://www.gunspares.co.uk/default.asp I would strip, completely de-grease, fit new spring, piston washer,breach seal and spring guide. Re-grease the spring with correct grease and keep the piston chamber free of anything. About £35 when I did mine. Will only take about an hour. Will take a few pellets to "settle down".

Give it a go, you will very suprised at the result!

make sure the mounts are nice and tight on the dovetails because i had a problem with my HW77 but i changed the mounts because one of the screws was rounded off so it couldn't be tightened therefore it moved about on the recoil then i re zeroed and its working wonders. also clean the barrel with a lightly oiled barrel cleaning rod and take your time when your shooting and make sure the scope is level. if none of this works then perhaps you should take it to a gunsmith

p.s what scope are you using

Hi all!

Thanks for the many responses!

I will check the barrel hinge pin (think it's secure but will make sure). The scope seems to be very tight. I don't see a brand name on it anywhere so I suspect it's a cheapo-all it says on it is "model 17 Original Wide Angle 6x40 Fixed Reticule Coated"

I will stick with the H&N as they seem to be the most accurate. The AA's are bloody ££ although I'm sure worth the cost.

I have a feeling the occasional low shots are just me doing stupid incosistent things with the follow-through but I ought to strip it down anyway (a bit nervous about doing this but apparently the 35 is DEAD easy to work on). It makes kind of a twang when I fire.

Thanks all!

When you say make sure the scope is level does this mean that the scope must be parallel to the ground?

I had this problem years ago (random low groups).

It turned out I had developed a habit of snatching the trigger massively, causing the grouping to shift. It wasnt until someone else watched me shoot that I discovered what the problem was.

The reason I was snatching the trigger? I was getting more and more stressed because "the gun" would not group. It wasnt the gun it was me. And it only happened with that rifle (A BSA Superstar).

Once I relaxed on EVERY shot, and accepted it was me, it stopped happening.

ZB

carlisle,

one way of checking the rifle itself is to clamp the rifle using carpet or something simalar in a work bench, put some extra weight on the stand to help keep it steady, and fire a group at a point on the target, see where they end up, if they do spred all over the place then you can rule out things like scope mounts being loose and your own mistakes, you must make sure you aim at the same point though on the target.

i have had problems like that many moons ago, you will no doubt get some who do not agree with the method but give it ago it does and will work :hmm:

I had a HW35 as a first hunting air rifle and not having much experience with them (about 8 years ago) i was having awfull groups with it compared to my bsa meteor i had at the time. I ended up selling it to buy something else but now i regret not trying different pellets ect, didnt know it would make a difference at that time. It all seemed such excellent quality, heavy duty, sounded really smooth when cocking and the trigger was one of the best i remember using but just the terrible accuracy! cant be the guns fault, either mine or the pellets i would say. There is something about genuine weirachs being hull import i think (someone else on here would know better). Also i have some distant memory that it had the size of the bore on the side and could that be 5.56 rather than 5.55mm? i know it makes a difference but i think most are 5.55 so no one takes notice of that. I have a webley tempest that is 5.56 and using 5.55ml pellets makes it even more unacurate than it allready is :hmm: just a thought

Cheers, SP

I think the spring may be failing as the rifle is fairly old and was already so when I got it second hand. It doesn't feel or sound like it's giving 11ft lbs anymore, and shots are beginning to drop 3 or 4 inches regularly at 20 yds. All screws and pins seem tight.

Can anyone recommend a) a cheap chronograph and :) a gunsmith in Edinburgh who could service the rifle?

Thanks