help needed with my aim.

hi all. i have got me shooting rights and a remington 1100. just got a query. i am struggling to hit the pigeons i am shooting at i use 30-32 gram load cartridges number 6's. could it be my cartridge? and how do i know if i am shooting under or over or even to far in front of the pigeon? and how can i tell if this is the case? if any one here lives close or near to wigan skelmersdale areas i am more then happy to bring guests to help me and take part in a days pigeon shooting? some one please help me please i beg you all?

Depends whether or not you are using it to raise a sail or secure something around your neck.

Of course it could be a barnyard

first thing is to check gun fit; either use a laser device to do it or draw a pigeon sized target on a bit of old wallpaper (not in the house) and shoot at it, then see where the pattern is, if its above/below etc then youll know it doesnt fit right

i am fearly new. done clay pigeon shooting 5 or 6 times and done alot of shooting with air rifles. but i have shot a few squirrels with it and 1 magpie. there are pigeons there and have shot at them but never hit one of the little ****. any advice?

hi chris,

I would think you being a rifle shooter you are underleading the birds.

ie shooting at them instead of in front.

rules of shotgun.

dont look at the rib of your gun. only the bead. the bead is your foresight your eye is the rear sight.

keep your eye on the bird.

a crossing pigeon at 40 yards if he's under full steam, will require you to shoot some 6 feet in front of him,

and keep the gun moveing after firing very important.

visualise this.

next doors moggy is running across your lawn at full belt.

and you have a nice handy bucket of water in your hand.

throw the water at tommy and you will miss him.

swing the bucket in the direction he is heading.

spreading the water out in a long stream.

1 wet moggy.

so get in front/ under / or over the bird depending on direction pull the trigger and spray your shot in front of him.

he will run into it.

if you still can't hit em.

pop over to my local shoot at the reindeer. one sunday am.

for a free lesson. check for gunfit and mounting etc.

see peters-eaters.co.uk

Think everything has been said here. But your best bet would really be more lessons. Tell the coach you want to shoot pigeons and I am sure they will have birds to simulate this for you to practice on.

And you don't aim a shotgun at a bird... You may have heard this before but Rifle shooting is a science whereas shotgun shooting is an art.

I'm a relative newcomer to the sport too. Similarly to you have grown up with air rifles, only having a few goes on a shotgun. Anyhow I got the permissions and then the gun and went out to shoot my first pigeons but had no luck.

In the end I joined my local clay pigeon club, and with help from the guys there - telling me exactly where i'm missing and giving advice on how much lead etc. I am now much better and much more successful when I go out shooting rabbit or pigeon.

I think how you go forwards depends on what you want from the sport. I have been shooting for about 8 months and am by no means very good, and the guy at my local gun shop keeps trying to get to to go for lessons at £70 an hour. I am only after a bit of fun and maybe a little sense of improvement and personally would rather spend the money at my local club on Sundays and get the little pointers from the other people there.

If you really want to get better much quicker and understand the science of it a bit more, maybe a lesson or two would be worth it!

i had a lesson by a guy at a local clay ground cant remeber his name he never misses well i aint see him miss yet and i have to say the moral of it was shoot in front and dont stop , that was basicly it as long as you can hold the gun properly not stop the gun moving when you shoot (i stop alot) :good: and just keep practicing you will get there in the end i have had some shocking days with Tom and i mean like 2 birds for 40 carts :D but its all part of the learning curve and im sure you will get there if you dont stop and aim in front :lol:

hi all. i have got me shooting rights and a remington 1100. just got a query. i am struggling to hit the pigeons i am shooting at i use 30-32 gram load cartridges number 6's. could it be my cartridge? and how do i know if i am shooting under or over or even to far in front of the pigeon? and how can i tell if this is the case? if any one here lives close or near to wigan skelmersdale areas i am more then happy to bring guests to help me and take part in a days pigeon shooting? some one please help me please i beg you all?

Chris the carts you are using are fine for the job , if your free on any Wednesday (or alternate sat/sun) we could go to my local clay shoot (worsley) and I will teach you everything I was taught :lol: all the comments were spot on , shoot in front , don't stop when you shoot -follow on , maintained lead , as a air gun target shooter I had the same problems "static target" my first 2 lessons I was rubbish , bad posture , lazy left arm , stopping to shoot , I'm a lot better now and improving all the time :good: (I wish) still miss loads but I now have the basic idea :D

Edited by unclemicky

• 2 weeks later...
basicly as peter said. someone has to show you about lead! and explain it so you understand. that way you will hit some. get down your local clay shoot. get to worsley, im sure chard will put you right. :D:rolleyes:

or out in the garden with a bucket of water sounds more fun to me :lol:

In the very first instance your gun must fit you, it must come up into the shoulder in exactly the same place time after time. As Peter says you eye is your sight. You should see the end of the barrels and bead but not look at them. If you concentrate on the bead you WILL miss.

Your focus should be on the Bird. Nothing else, you natural eye to hand co ordination will bring the gun into the right place. You will always need to be ahead of the bird to hit it. How far in front comes with learning and experience.

You need a few lessons with an instructor to give you the basics and as already said you need to spend some time shooting clays. Not knowing what you are doing will only lead to injured birds and noone wants that.