Gamebore Kent Velocity Cartridge

Hi i just bought 500 gamebore blue diamond 28g after trying kent velocity the recoil was much reduced and the cost was not that much more. far nicer to use and not too painful when i tried them in my sxs.

Cheers mink

This is where forums like this are sooo handy. If you read Mark Stone's review of these carts he said recoil was no problem at all.

Recoil isn't a problem at all, right up until you fire them. Then it kicks you in the face. Horrible bloody cartridges. I am sure that Express have bought a load and rebadged them English Sporter. Either that or there is some cheap powder doing the rounds.

You get what you pay for. I have shot many D&Js and the latest English Sporter - no probs. But then, I have no qualms about using GM3 powder!

I cannot comment on the performance of the Kent, BUT my mate brought me well over a 1000 Kent Fibre empties last week, from a clay ground and the vast majority of hulls contained unburnt powder with powder kernals* impressed into the outer plastic. Examination of primer strikes indicated they had been fired in a range of guns. With the cases 'gummy' from encrusted flakes, there must have been some pretty mucky chambers and internal workings after using them.

Has anyone noticed this with the Kent?

FC

*Edit: The 'powder' is a disc propellant

Edited by Floating Chamber

I've been using 28g 7.5 Kent Velocity for a while, bought because they were cheap at the time. Shot 250 in a day about a month back, at clays, through my 525 never found recoil to be a problem.

I've just bought 2000 English Sporter from York Guns (£115/1000) also because they're cheap, but haven't used any yet. If they shoot the same as the Kents I'll be happy.

Cheers

Tried the English Sporter cartridges - they pattern all right but they do kick! What I found was that they were mucky and left a lot of that clear plasticky residue (that's really hard to get off) at the breech end of the barrels of my o/u. Tried them in semi (see recoil above!) but after only 40 shots they had left loads of really burnt on and hard to shift deposits. Have now given them up as a bad job and gone back to Fiocchi Top 1's - easy on the pocket and the shoulder!

• 3 months later...
Oh and one other question, are you limited to the number of cartridges that you can purchase at any one time?

Cheers...

Flymo

My RFD said no limit but according to him if you want to store more than 10,000 you need a permit from the council, thats Essex of course, dunno about elsewhere

I used up the last of my English Sporters this weekend, my brother in law had already got us a 1000 each of Kent Velocity from York Guns last weekend. He shot last weekend and ended up taking his gun in due to misfires, we went to Pinewood SG on Saturday, second shot misfired then every other one so he swapped to my gun. After a couple of shots with mine (they're both Browning 525's) mine started misfiring, we checked the cartridges out and found the Kent primers were set in a bit deeper than the English Sporters, they work fine in my Extrema but the 525's can't fire them reliably. The first lot of Kent's I had were fine, the English Sporters were fine, these are going back to swap for something else.

You are limited to the quantity of cartridges you can store see

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/information/shooting.htm

The quantity of powder is "net" ie about 22grains + primer (0.3 grains) in each cartridge not the gross weight of the cartridge including case, shot etc. So in practice you can keep quite a lot of cartridges.

If you need more you nreed to register with the police (up to 250kg) or get a licence from the HSE for above 250kg

If you reload or shoot black powder or rifles etc it all adds to what you can keep.

But who has ever had the above policy enforced on them ?

These are the first ever cartridges i've come across that i'd actively stay away from. They are v dirty, leave hard to remove residue on my barrels and pattern terribly. I'd like to say it was just in my gun but almost everyone at my club has the same problems with them.

We are currently getting shot ( :hmm: ) of the last of them as we bought 10,000 of them as the club cartridge. Going back to Blue Diamond :hmm:

As far as i know you can only store (and therefore buy) 10,000 at a time, after that you need an RFD license, or so i was told by my FLD.

Mark