Fishing Knot

HAMMY

I've decided to try and do a spot of fishing out here. So yesterday I went to the two shops in the City and bought all the gear, only coarse fishing kit availiable. (I'm really a fly only man.) Anyway the problem is the only hooks I can get don't have eyes, they just have what I can describe as a spade end. I went out today and after several attempts managed to attach the nylon to hook using what I would describe as a Whip Finsh style knot, I'm usually OK with knots but these hooks are new to me and it was a bit of a struggle.

Anyway help me with this? Is there an easy knot for this type of Hook.

By the way, caught zilch, but enoyed it. And had a about 20 Chinese guys luaghing at me, I think they knew something I didn't about the water. :rolleyes: :o

Hammy

Get yourself a drennon hook tier! Its a tool that you place the hook in and tie it with ease! If you purchased one of these PM me and I'll giv you detail on how to use it! As I'm good with this sort of stuff as I've started fly fishing last year and been doing carp and course fishing for many many years!

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

PD

Can be very fidley, tying spade ends by hand, althogh not inpossible.

The hook tyer certaily is a must in the anglers tackle box.

I used to always use eyed hooks but now only use spade ends. Much stronger knot, and much better bait presentation.

Paul in North Lincs

No offence mate but i totally disagree I always use eyed hooks down to a size 20, tied with a tucked blood knot. I have used spades and have tied them to Nylon in the evening by hand... I stopped using them because I lost a few fish and didnt have confidence in the spade. Spades are so popular simply because they are cheeper to manufacture in quantity.

Presentation neednt be a problem with Eyed hooks, infact if fishing lobworms or Flake you can leave a short stub of nylon at the knot and mould or thread the bait over it to stop cast off.

These days also my eyes are not as good as when I was younger and Fingers not so nimble so I cant be ***** with Spades or spade tyers. I normally just fish the main line straight through to the hook depending on what rod Im using and what species is my quarry. I suppose if you are a match Angler fishing fine diameter bottoms and hooks to 24 and deliberately targeting small fish the spade would come into its own.

Cheers.

FM.

Funny, the first thing I thought when I was trying to tie them on, was how sharp the spade was. I agree F.M a worm on one of the spade job looks just the same as one with eyes.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll be bringing back some gear with me when I'm in UK next week. So panic over.

Hammy

True enough F.M. I would agree with eyed hooks for larger baits, such as worms, luncheon meat and flake.

I used to fish alot of matches, and personally, when fishing pinkie over a pole of pernickerty biting silver fish, the spade end comes into its own.

I supose really both have their benefits in different circumstances. But in my favoured disciplin of fishing they far excell eyed.

In additon I'm no expert on the stress of mono under pressure, but I would have thought that stress would be more evenly distributed on a spade tied hook than a half blood knot on an eyed hook which incorporates several loops and knots.

Paul in North Lincs

For bait hooks under size 16, I mainly use pre tied hooks to nylon.

Drennan seem to be the most reliable, although I always retie the loop on them. :rolleyes:

I must confess the "sharp" edges of the spade end always made me a bit nervous, especially with the light lines, but I have never had one cut off yet.

i always used spade end hooks and carried 10/12 different hook length materials , i used to be able to tie down to a size 24 hook and 12oz nylon even in the dark,the trick is practice,practice,practice. when testing hook lengths i always found that nylon tied to eyed hooks broke below the stated breaking strain but nylon tied to spade end hooks would break on or slightly above the stated breaking strain,that having been said in the larger sizes ,8 and above i would switch to eyed hooks.

i have a friend who is getting on a bit with poor eye sight but he still ties his spades on the riverbank with no hook tyer :rolleyes:

In some of the bloodworm/ joker matches I fish in the winter, I have to go down to 32 hook and 4oz line. Now they ARE a pain to tie. Especialy in gin clear water.

Thank god it is not too often.  :wacko:.

TUC.

What the hell can you catch on that sort of terminal tackle apart from a 1/2 oz gudgeon...

Sounds like tiddler bashing to me mate.... :lol::lol::lol:

I won a Isis match on the Thames in the 70,s before the Whip and Pole with nearly 15lb of Bleak caught with the line tied off to the top of my 13ft stick rod and a small quill float and size 20 bronze maggot hook..... :lol::lol:

Match Angling can be fun ;)

These days I couldnt afford the bait :lol:

FM.

In some of the bloodworm/ joker matches I fish in the winter, I have to go down to 32 hook and 4oz line. Now they ARE a pain to tie. Especialy in gin clear water.

Thank god it is not too often.  :lol:.

TUC.

What the hell can you catch on that sort of terminal tackle apart from a 1/2 oz gudgeon...

Sounds like tiddler bashing to me mate.... :lol::lol::lol:

I won a Isis match on the Thames in the 70,s before the Whip and Pole with nearly 15lb of Bleak caught with the line tied off to the top of my 13ft stick rod and a small quill float and size 20 bronze maggot hook..... :lol::lol:

Match Angling can be fun :D

These days I couldnt afford the bait ;)

FM.

Mike we call them "sets of eyes", because there is not much more to them!

In the winter leagues thats ALL you can catch sometimes,but all hell lets loose if you hook a good roach :wacko: .

The difference in winning and losing can be drammes.

Regards

TUC.