Cartridges for Clays

if your a serious shooter, pick one of the top brands that suits you and your happy with. stick to them and use them for practice as well, false econemy to use cheaper on practice rounds.

confidence in your cartridge is top. ;)

Makes Sense

I am just trying to get a feel for what other people use rather than try everthing out there

Eley First 7.5 28gr has broken everything I've ever pointed them at.

May use Hull Pro One 7.5 24gr on posh shoots.

You won't be able to tell the difference between any cartridge in kill quality or distance, only if they're a bit punchy. Ignore those who say they have to give more lead on different carts, it's all bullpoo.

You won't be able to tell the difference between any cartridge in kill quality or distance, only if they're a bit punchy. Ignore those who say they have to give more lead on different carts, it's all bullpoo.

rubbish ;) :( anyone with a few years under their belt can tell.

You don't have to give as much lead with my Hull Sovereign FITAAAAAASC Go-faster Bitchmutha Turbo 7.5's :(

They're so quick you could nearly shoot in the opposite direction and they hit the clay after orbitting the earth ;)

Edited by Chard

;)

I use Express pro comp in 8's and 9's. I have tried most of the others and always end up coming back to these.

I use 9's most of the time and only change to 8's if the bird is rangey or fast going away etc.

On normal club shooting 8's or 9's are all you need.

You should have used them last saturday then, you would have got your AA class in squit ;)

Or you could try No. 8's for everything and not worry so much about which cartridge in which barrel and in what order for the chokes each time you approach a stand.

I only tried the 9's because of your relentless "lucky number 9" banter at Southdown the other month :blink:

Got a load of 7.5's and 9's to use at the moment, but might try some 8's in my next cartridge order :lol:

I've until very recently only ever bought eley first 28g 7.5

I also bought some eley first 7 steels 24g <-- ok for skeet and close range clays

This was up until about 3 weeks ago when i got 250 of Eley Superb 8's 28g (£38.23) and 250 Black gold 7.5 24 gram (£44.85)

The guys I shot with have a foundness for black gold's even thou none of them shoot them cos there to expensive, anywhos the black gold do nothing for me, ok there faster and they give cleaner breaks, but the eley firsts that are almost half the price do pretty much the same job..

thou on the other hand the Eley Superb 8's I really like, i use them on anything were i can see the belly of the clay, and they dust em (use the 7.5 for edge on stuff)

anyways when they run out i will be trying some eley first in 8's to see if they compare, i know they won't be as fast, but they will be about £25 less per 1k

Lucky for me my local guy gives 1k price even on 250, so i can try stuff out without breaking the bank

Rainhill Cartridge Supplies - John Beswick 0151 426 4607 for anyone intrested.

I have to agree with Beretta thou, using the same good cart all the time is a must, me actualy putting that into pratice is another thing..

Iam hitting 60 to 70% of clays atm, and throwing £180(1k) at some black golds won't make me hit 80%, compared to the £117(1k) for the eley firsts..

Edited by Ian E

Ive been using fiocchi 28gr no 8's recently and like them, cant say why really other than they don't kick to much ! Was using express pro comps 7.5 before but they are known for having a punch ! Any 1 tried the lylevale english sporting 7.5 28's ? If so what they like ?

:blink: there a decent shell :lol: