Poor Fuel Consumption

tomleatel

Hi All

I have a BMW 318iSE Tourer. It has a 1.9 engine.

I have had ongoing problems with my fuel consumption, and have changed the Coil Pack, and the Lambda Sensors, which have improved my MPG but not to the BMW spec of duel MPG which is 34!

On the motorway i can easily get 40MPG, but once the stopping and starting kicks in it drops considerably

Can anyone else suggest what i can do to improve this?

Cheers

Terry

It has 74K on the clock, but the engine sounds great..

According to the clock it is not due another service for another 9k miles

Have noticed that the petrol has come down again. I paid 99.99, which was better than 104.9 i paid a few days earlier

I would replace the air filter so it's getting clean air.

As has been said a good service may also be needed but we have no details of servicing.

As for the manufacturers figures...ignore them, they are normally achieved in a lab on a rolling road at virtually no load so they can use it in the marketing figures.

Jon.

Is it me? :oops:

1.9 injected petrol engine is bound to give rubbish mpg round town, stopping and starting all the time. It's a sports engine!!!!

If you want decent urban mpg sell the thing while the mileage is low and get a decent diesel. Problem solved and you'll get 65 mpg on runs and 50 mpg round town. :look:

BMW are a bit naughty with their figures.....mine is supposed to do 42.something mpg for a 330d, drive like, shall we say LB for example (ie: SLOW), and I get 38.7. I can get 43/44mpg on mainly motorway/A roads but as soon as you hit traffic it sluprs it! Vauxhall were spot on for the vectra but BMW seem very optomistic!

BMW are a bit naughty with their figures.....mine is supposed to do 42.something mpg for a 330d, drive like, shall we say LB for example (ie: SLOW), and I get 38.7. I can get 43/44mpg on mainly motorway/A roads but as soon as you hit traffic it sluprs it! Vauxhall were spot on for the vectra but BMW seem very optomistic!

I will have you know Ziplex that I often drive at over 30 mph!

Coolant sensor reading cold will give you extra fuel but you would expect the tailpipe to be very sooty. Beemers have a problem with the air mass meter that will do the same but it rarely gets flagged when reading the fault codes from the ECU. Any good diagnostic centre will have a digital oscilloscope that can check the reading while the unit is running. Ask for this to be checked should the coolant temp sender not cure your problem.

LB

That engine in the estate will return about 28 - 32 on the dual cycle reducing progressively as the engine parts wear.

If your getting high 20,s avge then I would say thats pretty good. Its always been regarded as an underpowered unit and this exacerbates the fuel consumption figures on the urban cycle.....it has to work really hard. It was quikly replaced by the more economical 2.00 NG4 engine around the early 2000,s.

Dont waste good money trying to find a cure for a problem that hasnt been invented... it is what it is.

All manufacturers fuel figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt...I would say with confidence that 90% of them over egg the custard by 10 - 15%

Trade it in on the Governments scrappage scheme and get your self a small diesel if fuel economy is the issue.

Cheers.

FM.

I can vouch for the bigger engine better MPG theory, My wife had a 316ti (the 1.8 petrol engine) and it drank fuel where as i have a 330d (3.0 diesel) and it is fantastic on fuel, it's common for me to get 600 miles to a tank and i'm quite a spirited driver in mine.... and that's around 45 MPG which is around what BMW state...the 3 litre diesel is pushing out around 500nm of torque and 230 BHP this basically translates to less right foot required at sensible speeds....

I would also say that thier figures aren't that far out when compared to other manufactures....i've had 2 mitsubishi evo's and they are by far the thirstiest cars i have owned and that includes range rovers and discovery's!! i managed to get 9 miles to the gallon in my evo 8 once :good:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

sell the beemer and get an audi a4 diesel 2.0tdi engine is superb for mpg or if you want a petrol the 1.8 non turbo brilliant on mpg i know ive got one a regular service and she runs sweet as a nut 38/44mpg at motorway speeds thats what ive been getting the over the last few days :good::good: