how do you gut a pigeon

varmintator

Hi there can breast a bird fine If I want to roast the whole bird how do I go about drawing gutting it please help

thanks

make a small cut AROUND the back passage get your finger inside :thumbs: and gently get the intestines out dont forget the lites ( lungs ) as they can give the bird a bitter taste. rinse out under the tap and roast bootifull.

practice will end up with a good job well done .

• 3 months later...
Catch a live bird and feed it on some of the Prawn Vindaloo from my local curry house. I guarantee within a week it wont have any guts left. :blink: :lol::lol:

FM.

My ex farther in law when he was a trainee fire man in the 50's said some of the "Yobs" in london were caught feeding pigeons with carbide chrystals

They ate them and as they flew off they exploded

"GUTTED"

WB

• 2 years later...

I have always been taught that stuffing a game bird is a no no. It dries the meat. Saying that i would imagine that as long as your stuffing mixture is moist it shouldn't make a difference. So my whole post was a waste of time really but never mind.

If you're roasting them then shove some onion, sage and thyme into the cavity left after gutting and "bard" them with bacon (ie drape rashers of fat streaky bacon across the breasts. This will keep them moist).

After roasting for about 25 mins, take the herbs out and remove the bacon. Put the birds back in the oven for 10 mins to brown the meat, and while you are doing this chop the bacon, herbs and onion and fry in butter with some dry bread either cubed or crumbed and a dash of pepper and parprika.

Take the birds out, put the bread/herbs/bacon garnish back into the cavity, and serve with sauerkraut and warm game chips (you can heat some salt and black pepper kettle chips though as an altenrative).

Yummy!

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan