410 shooting distance?

Wriggler

My son is keen to start shooting, he is a good shot with an air rifle but wants to try a shotgun.

He is only of slight build so we thought perhaps a 410 or a light semi auto.

What sort of distance could a 410 shoot?

He shot one before at the local clay ground but had to stand closer to the targets because of the range of a 410.

Alternatively could anyone recommend anyhting else?

Many thanks

physically, it will shoot just as far as any other shotgun as the pellets are the same size and they are traveling the same speed. The difference is how many of them there are. With a tight choke, a 410 will hold a decent pattern for rabbits and pigeons out to about 25-30 yards.

Probably a better bet would be a 28 gauge. A bit more shot, not much more recoil and he can gradually upsize his loads as he grows.

Thanks

Rick

im a big fan of the .410 ... brilliant little guns . yes there may be less shot in a .410 and not as much bang but the shot goes where u want it to and carts tend to be better quality than most 12g carts .. ok the downside is .410 carts aint cheap :yes:

remmington do a very good semi auto .410 or if u wanna just get one to try the biakal single shot one is avail new from as little as £125 !!! and is a cracking gun for the money ... we bought the brother-in-law one for xmas so get to play with it often and find it quite accurate .. have hit some fast 50-60 yrd clays with it :yes:

dont know why the clay ground moved him closer though .. maybe just a confidence booster thing they do

physically, it will shoot just as far as any other shotgun as the pellets are the same size and they are traveling the same speed. The difference is how many of them there are.

Probably a better bet would be a 28 gauge. A bit more shot, not much more recoil and he can gradually upsize his loads as he grows.

Thanks

Rick

:yes:

edit to say: will shoot 40 yards no probs if you point in right place :yes:

Edited by CZ452

As mentioned the 410 is much underated as a boys gun!!! Its has a higher proof pressure than the twelve bore and shoots well,as for the comment of moving the chap closer at the clay shoot!

On our local clay shoot I was recnetly asked to bring along my 410 so that a 7 year old could have a try,now obviously I thought it would be good to prove the ability of the litle gun first,on trying to take the clays close I struggled to get to grips with them but if I took them at the same range as I was with the twele bore it absolutely smoked them!

As mention it has the same range but less pellets so in the real world is a better starting block rather than the point and shoot attitude seen by some letting the quantity of shot do the job.

:lol: oh my lord, that bed cover would be confusing when a little tipsy :P:P

you aint the first to say that, after showing the picture on another forum, my missus made it from material bought from IKEA, and twas on the bed along with painted floorboards to match, when I met her 5 yr ago, so blame the wacky northern farmers daughter I married, not me :lol:

Hi, im a new SGC holder but been out shooting pigeon, crow & rabbit for a while now with the bro in law, my 1st purchases were both cheap (ish) and effective, an almost new Baikal .410 18EM-M & another older but reliable Baikal 12g, both single barrel, i decided on the Baikals cos most of the shooting we do is rough shoot, decoy & magnet, or lamping rabbits at a local farm & golf course.

Not the conditions to lug a nice shiny clay shooter thru, i find the Baikal .410 a great little gun for rabbits, rats and even the odd pigeon or crow, nice tight pattern and effective up to 35 - 40yards, virtually no recoil & a fair bit quieter than the 12g. They're reasonably priced new & used and seem to be built to last, if a bit rougher than a more expensive gun.

Hope this helps.

Robbie

.410's are great fun and I believe they are the perfect gun for starting shooting, I still use one myself today especially when rough shooting, nice and light too.

Once you've mastered one moving up to a bigger gauge is so much easier too, in fact my neighbour's son started with a .410 around 18 months ago and he's now starting to use his Mother's 20g. He's learnt well, is a damn good shot and if nothing else apart from safety it has taught him accuracy.

I wouldn't be without a .410 in my cabinet.

Cheers

Thanks.

We had a look at the baikal before, very light and seems good value for the money (ie cheap in case he doesn't get on with it :blush: )

Perfect gun, not the best quality but absolutely bomb-proof and excellent value for money.

If you really want to splash out take a look at the Yildiz Elegant S/S .410, a really cracking gun and I've got one on my wish list.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/ecifte.html

Bottom of page one, then the engraved models on page two

Cheers

Edited by Santlache

If you really want to splash out take a look at the Yildiz Elegant S/S .410, a really cracking gun and I've got one on my wish list.

I've got one myself - a beautiful gun, superb wood and engraving and an absolute delight to use. In fact I'm just about to go out for an evening stroll with an Elegant A4 and a cocker spaniel - bliss.

Perfect gun, not the best quality but absolutely bomb-proof and excellent value for money.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/ecifte.html

Bottom of page one, then the engraved models on page two

Cheers

good , nice gun just a tad expensive for a trial gun ... though do want 1 myself :good: