cz452 bolt trouble

mikee

i recently bought a brand new cz452 from a registered gun dealer through guntrader .com, after only a few rounds it started misfiring, perhaps only 2 in 5 times i loaded it would it fire, i took it to my local rifle smith to have a look at, as soon as he picked it up he sussed that the bolt was 2nd hand, i phoned the gun dealer and told him what my gunsmith had found and could he send me the correct bolt, the next day he phoned back to say that i couldnt have the correct bolt for my rifle as it had been sold with another gun since mine was posted and if i wanted a new bolt my rifle would have to go back to the proof house, is this the case? does it need to be re-proofed and how long does it take generally to get a gun re-proofed? if its only a couple of weeks i dont mind but if its going to be months i'll be well ****** off

mikee

If you bought a brand new rifle, then the dealer has conned you by replacing the new bolt with a second hand one.

Inform him that unless he replaces the bolt for a new one, then you will contact the office of fair trading and also citizens advice.

I had a problem recently when an 'almost nearly new' (quoted) rifle, turned out to be far from that. When I 'politely' told the RFD what I thought about it and trading standards, I had a brand new one within two weeks.

Steve

Edited by steve_b_wales

I'd threaten him with trading standards and get him to take it back, strange though for a 452 bolt to have issues they usually seem to go on forever.

the firing pin doesnt always come out of the little hole in the end of the bolt, it seems to stick somewhere, when you look down the pin hole and push the pin forwards it doesnt quite line up with the pin hole.

he did say he'd take it back and put a new bolt in but it needed re-proofing, just wondered how long this would take

mikee

If you bought a brand new rifle, then the dealer has conned you by replacing the new bolt with a second hand one.

Inform him that unless he replaces the bolt for a new one, then you will contact the office of fair trading and also citizens advice.

I had a problem recently when an 'almost nearly new' (quoted) rilfe, turned out to be far from that. When I 'politely' told the RFD what I thought about it and trading standards, I had a brand new one withing two weeks.

Steve

As above. If I purchased a new rifle and within such a short space of time it was going wrong I would be contacting the shop. If they are not willing to assist then I would be kicking off big time!!!

:good: B) :drinks:

just rang edgar bros and spoke to a tech guy, he reckons if i have a new bolt fitted it will need to be head spaced and then re-proofed which could take ages depending on, if they have the correct one in stock and then the gun smith to do the head spacing and then the time at the proof house.

the guy i bought it from is hopefully going to ring this evening so i'm going to have it out with him.

i was thinking that if he had an identical model in his rack, he could send the barreled action and bolt and i could have it fitted into my stock as its got a couple of dings on it now, but as its to all intents and purposes a new rifle will i need to get a variation on my fac as it will have a different serial number?

mikee

Don't let them fob you off mate. If it's the shop's error for giving you the wrong bolt to start with, I would insist that they replace the entire rifle for another one. That way you do not have to wait for it to be sent backwards and forwards. I would also publish the name of the shop on here so that no other poor sod gets knocked!!!

if you take the rifle back you then need to put in for a variation (1 for 1) . i had this with Ian coleys bought a rifle, got home and went for a play. safety would stick and then spent shell wouldn't come out so if it was in the dark then you would be trying to put a new round in over the spent one. they tried to fob me off with a credit note in the end but i went back next day after speaking to trading standards and i got my money back. i then had to put in for the one for one as i only have one slot for a 22lr. nightmare and lesson learnt, will not use them any more, i have found a new shop thats only been going 5 months and will not go anywhere else now. gloucester gun company gets me shout.

Phi.

There is one law that can be taken into account here and that is the law of proof ,A firearm cannot be sold /traded or transfered unless it has been proofed and this law is abolute .

If you were sold a firearm by an rfd with a bolt that it was not proofed with then it is out of proof , the cost is totally down to the rfd , if they want to replace the bolt then they will have to pay for all of the costs for proof and shipping/postage.

If they want to replace the firearm like for like then they can . And then have a word with your feo about changing the serial number it will normally involve a variation but this will be foc , Any other costs will be down to the rfd shipping etc.

Even the bolts have a s,number on them so if they don't match and your pulled by plod it could get interesting

Is this something that CZ do? None of my rifles have a matching serial numbers on the bolts.

What the dealer needs to do is get the bolt from the other rifle he sold as it is likely that this is also malfunctioning. The dealer needs to face up to his incompetence, and to be honest Trading Standards needs to get involved as he has potentially sold two unproofed rifles.

Edited by Rem223

just rang edgar bros and spoke to a tech guy, he reckons if i have a new bolt fitted it will need to be head spaced and then re-proofed which could take ages depending on, if they have the correct one in stock and then the gun smith to do the head spacing and then the time at the proof house.

the guy i bought it from is hopefully going to ring this evening so i'm going to have it out with him.

i was thinking that if he had an identical model in his rack, he could send the barreled action and bolt and i could have it fitted into my stock as its got a couple of dings on it now, but as its to all intents and purposes a new rifle will i need to get a variation on my fac as it will have a different serial number?

mikee

A tip for you-Always buy guns off the shelf or as I do when new and see them come straight out of the box in the gunshop. You have purchased remotely to save money, but in the long run you will lose out......

Churchills of Dereham had cz americans on the shelf for 320 notes the other week-Can't say much better than that can you, why go out of town?

I will only buy a gun that I see, and in my lifetime have never bought second hand rifles, just dont know what you are getting.

How could he have done that?, as the serial number is on the bolt as well as the action isnt it

well you tell me, cos i dont know, but anyway i spoke to him today and he's sending an identical model to my gun shop to pick up hopefully friday if not monday, ive spoken to the nice people at the firearms licencing dept and they said if i sent my fac in with the filled in variation form 1st class today they would get it tomorrow morning and get it back in the post by last collection to hopefully arrive friday, so a bit of chasing about and thats all now gone so just waiting now

mikee