Sloes, Sloes,Sloes

Lancs Lad

Well considering that last year was a blank with no fruit worth a mention on the bushes, this year looks to be a good start.

I know its a bit too early, but Ive already been out and picked some fruits that were soft and had turned, leaving the green and hard ones.....

Ok its not quite time, and we should wait till the first frosts, but I couldnt resist.....proably got another few weeks to go before the other fruits have got nearer to picking....

but..........Ive currently got 2 ltrs of Gin...............1 Ltr of Voddy and 1 ltr of Brady currently on the go.................

Now I just need some new beating.......................

Ooh, sloe gin. I haven't made that for years but was only looking at the hedges around the farm the other day thinking this year will be a good crop! What's a good recipe? I think I used to do 1lb sloes, 1lb sugar, a cinnamon stick and 1l of gin..... Sound about right? I'm going to give it a try this year I recon ;)

I was talking to the farmer where my fishing club have fishing rights and he told me my sloes are coming on nicely! He also mentioned the bottle i gave him from last christmas was going down rather well and probably needed topping up. Allways look after him especially as he gives me shooting permission as well.

One of my other farmers in Shropshire has give me first option on his unwated damsons as well - what a result.

Just goes to prove if you look after your farmers not only for fishing but you sometimes get offers of other things as well. Well worth the donation of a bottle or two at Christmas time.

Edited by Jan147

I picked our first couple of pounds of blackberries last week (Bb pie yummy) is it just me but they looked the biggest I have seen since I was a nipper and the sloes are about the size of goosegogs I'm betting the finches have them before we get a frost tho'. Is Blackberry vodka worth doing?

Bramble Vodka sounds good -anyone got a recipe quick cos i picked mine today and her indoors will waste em in a pie.

Lb brambles

Bottle of vodka

6 tbsps Sugar.

Stir up every day for a week, then once a week for 3 months or so. Taste now and again and add sugar to taste if need be. A Cinnamon stick in with it wouldn't be a bad idea either. The longer you can keep your mitts off it the better but strain and decant after 3 months.

Well am not really into bushes B)

I just take its fruit. :hmm:

So i could be wrong

But its sort of like the hawthorn(i think)

The berries are round and purple.

If its like the bushes round here they should be easy to spot.

xxxsuzy

But then again i could be wrong. :good:

:lol:

an easier description, like a small damson

Well am not really into bushes :lol:

I just take its fruit. :good:

So i could be wrong

But its sort of like the hawthorn(i think)

The berries are round and purple.

If its like the bushes round here they should be easy to spot.

xxxsuzy

But then again i could be wrong. B)

if they are in large flattish bunches could be Elder which our tribe from round Ormskirk used to make stunning wine (me gran too)

elder-berries-1.jpg

the sloes are bigger berries with smaller leaves

sloe-berries-on-the-blackthorn-shrub-full.jpg

Derek

Edited by Delbert