Help Needed Please

Pidge

Hi Everybody,

My friend and myself have been having a go at shooting some pigeons - without much success. My friend shoots and takes his dog and I just take my dog. We have tried three times recently and each time we arrive at the field 30+ pigeons take off from a flattened area (different each time). We set up our hide and he puts some decoys out with his whirly ones, but apart from the odd one or two that fly over, the others do not return. It seems as though we must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help please or suggest a good book for me to read so that we can hopefully be a bit more successful.

You could be rushing in to set up too fast, you need to make sure that you are under the flightline, dont just turn up and set up where you see pigeons feeding.

Maybe the pigeons dont like the Magnet (if you are using one).

The books that I have read that have helped me are:

Colin Willock's the book of the wood pigeon

Michael Brander's sporting pigeon shooting

John Humphreys Modern pigeon shooting

Archie Coats Pigeon shooting

And the best one I think is - Peter Theobalds The Wood Pigeon (the ultimate quarry)

Edited by MerseaDavid

Maybe the pigeons might not be feeding on your field, they might be just sitting on the field before moving on to where they actually want to feed.

There are many more reasons what might be going wrong.

Can you give us more info?

What patterns your using, wind direction (normally), are you set up unders trees of just up against a hedge, etc?

I'm new too and have had the same problem on stubble. Loads on it, walk it off (don't even fire a shot) and they move on.

It seems you have to be under a flightline, as you'll only decoy ones that you didn't walk off and are coming into the area.

For me anyway :good:

I very rarely walk the birds off the field when I turn up I will watch the flightline and the choose the spot where I am going to shoot and then set up and the birds will normally leave the field for abit and then start coming back not long after I am in the hide. Sometimes they are already landing in the pattern before I am in the hide :blink:

Thank you - I'll try and get hold of that book.

I normally put up the hide which is usually infront of a hedge, big wood pile or once was round one of three big trees in the middle of the field. My friend puts out the decoys which I'm sure are in a horseshoe pattern facing into the wind. I did notice when I put the bag back into the car on Tuesday that some of the decoys are shell ones which look rather bright and scary (compared to the more mellow looking whole ones). I wondered if these might have anything to do with it. One day we turned the magnet off for a while but it didn't make any difference. We are arriving, spotting a couple of pigeons land and then setting up so that sounds like the first mistake.

Best to turn up the day before if possible sit in the area with some binoculars and just observe the flightlines to any fields you have permission on- then when you come to shoot you can set up your hide against a hedge preferably right under the flight line

good luck

I do this and have had some good days

Les :blink:

Edited by Lez325

There is a lot of choice of feeding grounds around at the moment and unless you can find a favoured field, the birds are keeping on the move.

Its probably nothing to do with your hide setup, or decoy layout, its just the way it is.

Not everyone is lucky enough to get 100 birds days at this time of year, a lot of pigeon shooters are experiencing just what you are.

Keep observing the fields and perhaps have a few "Plan B" locations in mind, if the first stop doesn't work out.

I am sometimes moving 3-4 times in a days shooting at the moment.

Some good advice given here Pidge :blush: and to save a small fortune on the purchase of books,

take the list of titles above, to your local library and request them. Even if the books are not in stock

they will source them for you at a small cost. This will help you choose the books you need to buy

All the best Rob :rolleyes:

You'll notice in the reports where people have got _big_ bags (which to me is anything over 20)

they always seem to spend a good amount of time at the start of the day watching the

pigeons to try to spot flight lines, then set up close to these.

It's taken me six months out on one area to get to the point of sussing out the best place

to set up and guarantee _some_ birds coming past.

Nial

I will spend anywhere from 1/2 an hour to an hour before I will set up, I like to make sure I am under the line and me and dad have been picking up some great bags.

The Sporting gun magazine had a good few pages about where to set up the magnet etc so it might pay you to have a look out for that too :rolleyes:

It could be that your decoys might need painting because they do go shiny at times once they get worn and then the pigeons dont like them.

Also once you have set you hide and decoys up walk out into the pattern and look at the hide and make sure it blends in.

I have found at times that turning the magnet off still does not help until I pack it away and then the birds will start to come in.

Hi, Pidge,

All the previous is good info. Don't despair. To a degree, I've got the same problem and I've been at it for 50 years! Are you sure we don't have the same problem? Farmers all cutting at once where I am, there's simply too much food available so any disturbence will send them elsewhere. Unless you find a field that they really, really want, you may have to wait until the ploughing starts - hopefully, not on your land first!

Good luck

I'm with cranfeild on this one-if they simply are'nt returning then how can you be doing anything wrong?.There is so much food about at the moment that few feilds will hold their attention once they are put off.Do you know where the nearest roost is?-if you can get under it you might be in for a better time.