Alone in the Wild

Lancs Lad

I spent most of the programme shouting at the TV. He couldn't be better equipped to cope, yet he's clearly lacked initiative, a sense of urgency and the ability to tolerate his own company.

And yes, I have experienced absolute solitude, for weeks on end, on single-handed offshore yacht races. It wasn't a survival exercise for me, unlike this lunatic, but the secret is to keep your brain active and your stomach full. Any fool can be uncomfortable.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. how long in before he actually grows the 'nads to shoot something? I just scanned through about 3 episodes on youtube. He already let the squirrel go because of its fluffiness :good:

:hmm::lol: :lol:

i havnt watched any of it yet, saw an ad for it and thought it was that show we were talking about lately (with bono dumping the edge in canada or somewhere). going by whats been said though (including lancs lad wanting to do an episode called broke back fishing...) id think most of us on here could easily do better when it comes to getting food, etc, but dealing with the isolation would be interesting :good:

Lancs lad how many days have you been left out in the wild completely alone? Couple of days? At first he was letting things go but then food is running low and he is now desperately wanting to get something and because he is alone he cant think straight. Remember Human beings are pack animals and take comfort in eachothers company as soon as your left alone for a while you lose that comfort and thats when things change.

You have never been left alone for weeks so dont comment on the way he is doing things.

enought time mate,,,,,,,,,,,,Ive done my time out in the field being hunted down thanks doing E&E exercises, roughing it and on survival courses.

His food isnt running low, think it was day 20 plus and he still had "supplies".

Some people clearly are not cut out for this type of life. And that has been proven many times over in survival type documentaries.

This guy has enough equipment and gear to stay in shape in the environment that he is in.

Im just hoping that a big grizzly comes and has away with him...........

enought time mate,,,,,,,,,,,,Ive done my time out in the field being hunted down thanks doing E&E exercises, roughing it and on survival courses.

His food isnt running low, think it was day 20 plus and he still had "supplies".

Some people clearly are not cut out for this type of life. And that has been proven many times over in survival type documentaries.

This guy has enough equipment and gear to stay in shape in the environment that he is in.

Im just hoping that a big grizzly comes and has away with him...........

And if you watched it right he wasnt allowed to have his rations, he was only allowed it if he was well short of food and feeling weak to lack of food.

You on excersise? How long for? and doubt that you were totally alone.

I watched one of the linked clips here, and totally agree that his "style" will get alot more viewers than if he just "got 'er done". I've hunted totally solo in Alaska, (not for a month, but long enough to know if I was bothered), but there are many people in the world who are not phased by solitude. I do well with it, and live on a farm in the Pyrenees where if I died, only a wandering sheepherder might find me. This is only an individual trait. He is obviously not comfortable with solitude.

As for his inability to feed himself, (I'm not certain where he is exactly, but guessing Canada/Alaska), that is another story and he just looks like a city guy who couldn't find a badger in a sleeping bag. He is certainly well equipped.

Whoever posted the **** Proennecke link... I've read his book several times and it has been an inspiration. He was actually against trophy hunting, but wasn't afraid to kill to eat. Building that cabin with hand tools is a woodworker's ideal. Great guy.

Pete

I am glad I was not the only one shouting at the TV.

Why was he not out shooting out squirrel dreys, having set fishing lines, looking under rocks for creyfish, shellfish etc. This guy needs to watch a few episodes of Bear Grylls.

But then again, that would not make good TV for the masses.

Ian

Why was he not out shooting out squirrel dreys, having set fishing lines, looking under rocks for creyfish, shellfish etc. This guy needs to watch a few episodes of Bear Grylls.

But then again, that would not make good TV for the masses.

What, him watching Bear Grylls?

The way reality TV is now I wouldn't be so certain.

Felt so cheated at the part where he ran away from an invisible bear :blink: I stopped watching soon after that.

Wish I could've gone instead.. That Porcupine did look tasty too.. :yes:

I've been watching this and nearly screaming at the screen,

My missus has stopped watching it with me (or refuses to) as i simply dispair of the bloke. I'm not being funny but he is in bear country granted, and there are other nasty's about that could make a meal out of him. But surely after you've been there a couple of weeks (last one l watched he'd been there for a month) you'd get past the worry (or would get used to it??) Then crack on making yourself comfortable?? (i seem to remember the triangle of survival we were taught at ATC (Air training Corps) and get yourself sorted?!?!?!

He (from what l have seen (= 2 episodes)) has not been out once specifically to hunt quality food (he may now have??) but from what l have seen he hasn't really made an effort to better his situation!!! (major rule in survival?!)

Not being funny if l was him, l'd floated a boat structure (small floating object) out on the lake with loads of hooks on it to catch fish, then got a fire going then built a shelter (not to mention put up the bear fence and slept with the SG loaded! It took him a couple of days to even decide what to do, by which point he's already on his way down (both physically and mentally) - has anyone else thought that he should clear a large aea so that he can see anything approaching from 100 yards off?? I think also the snaring scenario was a laugh - was everyone of them set with 20 yards of one another - -with him flitting between them leaving his scent everywhere!

I suppose its easy for us to sit and say these things - and until we are in that survival situation, none of us can really know how we will react to the isolation etc. but what you can ensure is that you are prepared - which he is obviously not!! - sod the small rifle - i'd have the SG and i'd have a large CF something like a 375H&H or something that could make short work of medium animals at long distances.

Oh no, what have I been missing? Are you telling me there's a guy who's been sent out to Canada to survive, has snares, two guns, fishing kit etc and is struggling with a naff second rate shelter? What a moron!

I'd be scared out there. So scared I'd have a small but very sturdy log cabin up in no time! One with a very small door that I could only just fit through. Then I'd bury it in small scrub, soil and leaves to make it warm and even harder to get into. Then it would be time to go and check the lines and snares that you'd have set when you got there. Get home, set up the hammock in the shelter and load up the fire then off to sleep.

From what I've seen of Canada you'd have to be a complete numpty to starve there. Getting the right vitamins on top of your meat and carb supplies would be the hardest bit.

Inside a week you should be able to bait a Bear and whack it with a big deadfall trap, then you'd have enough fat to run your shelter lamps on for ages and plenty of meat to smoke/dry.

Inside a month you should have got yourself set up to live almost indefinately. The only thing I wouldn't be doing is firing a shot from those guns unless I really had to. Those bullets should be saved for a time when a trap wont help you :good:

Has anybody else watched the hilarious if extremely puerile movie, 'Without a Paddle', as shown on Film4 last week? It had everything I expect in a film about survival against the odds: inbreds called Cletus (no doubt played by residents of Mersea Island), stroppy wildlife, starvation and Burt Reynolds in a Davy Crockett hat.

Has anybody else watched the hilarious if extremely puerile movie, 'Without a Paddle', as shown on Film4 last week? It had everything I expect in a film about survival against the odds: inbreds called Cletus (no doubt played by residents of Mersea Island), stroppy wildlife, starvation and Burt Reynolds in a Davy Crockett hat.

:hmm:

seen it several times, now thats my idea of survivial (especially the two blonde tree huggers... not fussed on the hair tho :good:)

Edited by babbyc1000

watching this for the first time and obviously the blokes struggling with the isolation, as i think we all would. But, doesnt he seem to be just sitting around too much, i think if he focused 100% on the hunter/gatherer aspect and kept himself busy with it he'd cope a lot better. must be a struggle though. forget using the guns for protection though, i'd be off a hunting :yes:

:lol:

seen it several times, now thats my idea of survivial (especially the two blonde tree huggers... not fussed on the hair tho :yes:)

'Duuude, I can totally see her downstairs from here.'

FM

I'm kind of feeling sorry for the bloke now, having watched the last one. It must be bloody tough to go through all of that, hats off to him for giving it a go.

Could I do better - doubt it. Not the food bit but the madness bit which must contribute to the food bit. Next time take a dog i think :yes: