supermarket fuel

Gadge-it

Just after all the hasel with the clutch now ive filled up at asda and I cant get above 60mph hicking and farting so ive had to get this sorted ive had to run the fuel right down change the fuel filter and fill up at shell garage,the garage said that the filter was full of dirt,so i phoned asda up to report this,the manager said that he would get someone to dip the tank to get the diesel ckecked out,

Edited by Gadge-it

I have it from a reliable source that although all the tankers do load up from the same few refineries, the branded products have additives measured into the tankers before delivery to the filling stations whereas the supermarkets just unload as is. The same source advises that if you run a diesel and pay your own repair bills, don't use supermarket fuel long term. You can buy your own cetane boost & lubricating additives such as Redline 85 but that kind of defeats the object of 'cheap' supermarket fuel.

In my diesel I get sweeter, quieter running and about 3mpg more from my local Esso which, funnily enough, is also 1 or 2p cheaper than the local Tesco. BP not so good but still noticeably better than Tesco. One of my sons swears by the uprated diesel from Shell (V-Power?) He's worked it out for himself without being in the least mechanically minded or asking me.

Get 3mpg more on gulf and shell, and didn't get any sensor issues like everyone who filled up a year or two ago at Morrison, tesco and sainsbury, explain that one if they are all the same!!,,,,,!!, we run 3 diesel cars in our household, the two we own we run on gulf or shell and the company A4 on Morrison or tesco for the points, the A4 is a 2.0 140 estate with a multitronic box and it does 37 to the gallon, and no it's not thrashed (all the time), a neighbour is a retired tanker driver and he says it's not the same stuff and he has never used supermarket carp in his life, tells you something does it not

Balls and I can say that with total confidence as I know a guy whose job is inspecting them and they have to have the same checks as anywhere else. If it happened in the size of tank they have to any extent you would have roads blocked with broken down cars look at when some had a dodgy load from the refinery it stopped loads of people

Not a lover of supermarket fuel. Whenever I fill up at either Tesco or Morrison the water in the fuel filter light flashes on. If I then run 3 or 4 tanks of either shell, esso or jet through the problem goes away until I put more supermarket fuel in. I also get less miles per gallon with supermarket fuel. I have checked this over about 5 fill ups. So I only buy when I get at least 10p a litre off. However I know other people who have no problems with it. I run a 2001 Disco TD5 so nothing needed performance fuels.

Hmmmmmmm, I don't know the answer to this but I can say all my diesels have run fine on sainsburys or morrisons diesel.

However my mate has a p38 with BMWs 6 cylinder init and that won't run on supermarket stuff.

Also a mate racers enduro and had to pull out of a race running on morrisons super unleaded because the bike wouldn't pull.

Tried same fuel in a different bike same problem

He now only use shell.

Maybe I'll try "premium" fuel and see if I can tell a difference

Ok..... this is off topic abit.

But i was clearing out my landrover this morning after a hectic day beating yesterday.

I found a bottle of 2 stroke oil, cheap mineral stuff i thinks its left over from ratting.

I tipped it in the tank and went off to fill up (supermarket ****), iv done about 30 miles this morning and i have to say i think the car is running better.

Its smoother, its no faster but maybe quieter.

Im quite impressed.

Perhaps there is some truth in the stories about fuel?

its much cleaner now, better for the enviroment but perhaps not engines?

Never ever noticed a blind bit of difference between supermarket or national garage diesel or leaded / unleaded since 1980. Neither brand new or cars that are a few years old have felt or sounded any differently !

Honda Jazz hunted a bit after Shell fill up a few months ago but cleared up in a day.

Not a lover of supermarket fuel. Whenever I fill up at either Tesco or Morrison the water in the fuel filter light flashes on. If I then run 3 or 4 tanks of either shell, esso or jet through the problem goes away until I put more supermarket fuel in. I also get less miles per gallon with supermarket fuel. I have checked this over about 5 fill ups. So I only buy when I get at least 10p a litre off. However I know other people who have no problems with it. I run a 2001 Disco TD5 so nothing needed performance fuels.

same! I filled up at a morrisons and just after my water in fuel light came on so purged it and was fine after. COULD have been the filter was nearly full of water anyhow, but it's not happened again. I have a habbit of if the tank gets to quarter (when I fill up) I fill it up with a BP or Shell... If it's over half and I just need to top up for a long journey I use supermarket

I do use only sainsbury (cheap and close)

its vectra 2.0 dti never have any problem and last fuel filter i left in for 20000 miles on change it was not worse than standart change after 10000 miles.

and btw every 2-3 tanks i do ad 2 stroke oil (250 mils per tank)

its seams to lub fuel pump and clean everythink inside. never have problem with emision etc and i do have 138000 miles on the cloct at the moment.