Greylag FUD's

Cosd

Posted originally in the wrong section so here goes again.......

Will be looking at getting some Greylag decoys, anybody use the FUD ones? Are these any good?

I have pigeon FUD's so I understand the concept, just wondering how effective they are on the geese...

Many thanks as always

Cos

I have not used them , but I have always thought all the FUD goose decoys are much too small. Usually the larger a goose or duck decoy is the more effective it is. I am not a great goose decoyer ( I prefer to flight geese rather than shoot them over decoys ) but I have used Avery pinkfoot and greylag shell decoys at times and found them very efective. If anything too efective as if you are not careful the shooting is too easy. I have had days when every goose that has seen the decoys has come into them and it becomes a bit like shooting fish in a barrel , but I stop at 3 or four birds in the bag.

Yes penelope I've seen lads with them up here and they are probably the best right now,expensive but you know the old saying. I reckon there's so many lads using these up here just now that when the geese see my fuds sillo's and plywood silloettes they have a laugh! guess you have to just keep up with whats on the market.

I've used them for a few years now, the Canada's work really well.

I always find the greylag a much more difficult bird to decoy. The decoys work well but you must place then correctly, I find they if you place them close to each other it seems to work well where I would do the opposite with the Canada's.

I have silo socks and fuds for greylags and have had very mixed results. I made up my mind that this year before the season I am going to buy something full bodied and flocked like the ones in the link penelope put up. I think the trouble here is that its a small place with a lot of shooters all trying something different and unless it is perfect the geese just steer clear. And the calling sometimes is worth hearing, I am not great at calling and I gave up at the end of the season before last because the geese just steer clear as soon as they hear it if it is not perfect. When I started shooting with my uncle 15-16 years ago, you could go a whole season without seeing another gun out and the geese would come to anything that nearly resembled a goose. To be honest towards the end of the last season I was leaving my shooting buddy to go and try his decoys and I tried to get under a flight line and I have to say that for me having success under a flight line is more rewarding.

I use shells, they work for greys even though they are pinks. Never liked the shape of fuds, very un-birdlike from above

That is the point - lots of coys look good from the ground but have a look at them from the bedroom window and they look plain crazy.

Birds eye view is the one you have to think of.

Yes, I know, very tempting. As I have mentioned before, I think I decoy better than the ducks and geese.

I'd want a dozen of each, Greys and Canadas, but over £800 is a lot of money for some Judas plastic. I think for that money, I'd want them to lay eggs and hatch out. And then there is the lugging around.

I like the look of these!!

Very tempting....

Edited by Penelope

Yes, I know, very tempting. As I have mentioned before, I think I decoy better than the ducks and geese.

I'd want a dozen of each, Greys and Canadas, but over £800 is a lot of money for some Judas plastic. I think for that money, I'd want them to lay eggs and hatch out. And then there is the lugging around.

Yeah, I have some home made and some shells though its far easier on the back and wallet to just be in the right place at the right time