Preffered Whisky

Spike Chess

Another Lagavulin fan here, the 16yo is a staple in my collection. I also find that the Distiller's Editions from Caol Ila always hit the spot - lovely oily mouth feel and long finish. If I want something a little less intense, then I start looking at the likes of Highland Park (they don't distill a bad drop) and Aberlour's a'bunadh series - perfect with a drop of water and paired with a cigar, the slight sweetness just balances nicely.

(It's fair to say that I'll drink most single malts willingly if they're on offer... :yes: )

Edited by southwest_colonel

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stand the stuff, to many bad memory's as a kid, including downing half a ltr with a friend after we acquired a cheepo bottle, never been so ill in my life. smell still knocks me sick now. Maybe when I grow up haha

I'm a beer / vodka person if I drink which is rare these days!!!

So many good whiskys, so little time. If I had to have a single bottle collection for the rest of my life, I'd take a Glenlivet 18. Just the right amount of flavors and balance but super smooth. To add a second into the mix I'd throw in a highland park 18. Again, perfect balance of flavors, though very different from the glenlivet. That two bottle set would keep me content for a long time.

Fortunately I don't have to pick 2 bottles so I try something new anytime I see something I haven't tried. Lots of great ones listed already. I'm not a laphroiag fan, and especially not the cask strength. Bowmore is very good in all of its forms (10-21). I love bruichladdie. McCallan is a nice dram, but overpriced for me. I'd take glenlivet or glenfiddich over mccallan at the different price points. Glenmorangie has some great 'different' barrel finishes, nector d'Or I think is my favorite, but I need to try it again. Glengoyne is a fantastic malt especially the older variants.

thanks

rick