Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the alarm went off at 4.15 am this morning , I thought I would have another 10 mins and woke up again at 9am :blush: so missed todays flight , never done that before , luckily I had not arranged to meet anyone !

This is your season of firsts " fenboy " , so you done well , you can add another one to your list without firing a shot and not even getting out of bed , now that cant be bad, :good:

I had my first foreshore flight since mid December this morning. With the cold weather I had hopes a few duck had been pushed onto the foreshore. It was still pitch dark when I got up, but by the time I reached the coast after a careful 10 mile drive a faint hint of light was appearing in the east. Fortunately I had only a short walk to the big creek to where I intended to decoy. I had just time to set out a stand of wigeon decoys and it was just light enough to see to shoot. I love the pre dawn hush before the fowl start to flight as the sounds of the marsh increase as the birds wake up. Lots of brent were croaking in front and by the sound of it there was a goodly heard of curlew near by.

The first duck almost caught me day dreaming as a single teal corkscrewed into the decoys. A quick snap shot and she splashed down close to the decoys and Meg my black lab made short work of the retrieve. Second later a bunch of three teal came low down the creek . I should have had one , but I left the shot too late thinking they were going to come into the decoys and they were swallowed up in the dark western sky. A single teal followed them set her wings as she saw the decoys , but she was going to land a little short. I had a long shot and the little hen bird hit the water. I waited a minuet before sending the dog as it seemed dead enough in case my shots disturbed other duck. Nothing happened so I sent Meg. Just as she was swimming back a pair of wigeon came in on set wings, but saw the dog and flared off. A couple more teal came in nicely and both were killed cleanly.

More duck on the move , wigeon this time , but they were a bit high. I let the bunch come right over head and had a single shot resulting in a winged bird falling on the marsh across the creek 200 yards off. The dog was unsighted and with the creek still too deep to wade I decided to leave it and look for it later.

There was a long lull with nothing moving for some time. A few pinks came in off the sands , perhaps 400 in all but with only a gentle breeze they were way too high. The only mallard of the morning appeared and ignored my calling to land on a pool well across the creek, Then just before sunrise more wigeon appeared down the creek. The first pair ignored the decoys and passed at the limit of range. A single shot dropped him , but the duck was a shade too far for a second shot. I missed the next bunch of wigeon , but one hen came from nowhere and landed in the decoys. It jumped in an instant but it took two shots to drop it the far side of the creek. Another long cold swim for Meg. Three more bunches of wigeon came down the creek leaving two behind.

It was one of those mornings that was a joy to be on the marsh. The sun flooding the marsh with a golden light , a light wind from the west and despite the cold I was well wrapped up and comfortable. Stacks of brent were on the move with many heading in the creek beside the decoys along with a few shielduck , curlew were pouring off the saltings leading inland and a few small waders were feeding close by on the wet mud. Eventually I roused myself as the tide had dropped enough to cross the creek. Meg had a long search before she flushed the lost wigeon. It flew low for a hundred yards before crashing into a clump of spartina with the dog in hot pursuit , but could not get up a second time and Meg soon caught a lively hen bird.

Time to pack up , but god my gear was in a real mess. I do not know why , but for some reason mud seems to become even more muddy , perhaps sticky would be a better description in this weather. My decoy bag was covered in it , as was my gun case and though my coat was not too bad to start with the mud off the bag straps soon covered my back . I was in a bit of a state be the time I got back to the car. As I sat there the duck started to return to the creek, 20 wigeon and 60 teal in an assortment of bunches pitched in at the very spot where my decoys had been, but I had enough for one morning and anyway I like to seen late comers coming in as I intend to do a repeat flight here next week if the frost holds.

Edited by anser2

This is your season of firsts " fenboy " , so you done well , you can add another one to your list without firing a shot and not even getting out of bed , now that cant be bad, :good:

That is true marsh man, I was a little annoyed as I am one who hates being late , I have been late once in 32 years of work (after being up all night when my second daughter was born )

And usually if I have arranged to meet someone I will be there first , cannot say I did not enjoy the lay in though !

I had my first foreshore flight since mid December this morning. With the cold weather I had hopes a few duck had been pushed onto the foreshore. It was still pitch dark when I got up, but by the time I reached the coast after a careful 10 mile drive a faint hint of light was appearing in the east. Fortunately I had only a short walk to the big creek to where I intended to decoy. I had just time to set out a stand of wigeon decoys and it was just light enough to see to shoot. I love the pre dawn hush before the fowl start to flight as the sounds of the marsh increase as the birds wake up. Lots of brent were croaking in front and by the sound of it there was a goodly heard of curlew near by.

The first duck almost caught me day dreaming as a single teal corkscrewed into the decoys. A quick snap shot and she splashed down close to the decoys and Meg my black lab made short work of the retrieve. Second later a bunch of three teal came low down the creek . I should have had one , but I left the shot too late thinking they were going to come into the decoys and they were swallowed up in the dark western sky. A single teal followed them set her wings as she saw the decoys , but she was going to land a little short. I had a long shot and the little hen bird hit the water. I waited a minuet before sending the dog as it seemed dead enough in case my shots disturbed other duck. Nothing happened so I sent Meg. Just as she was swimming back a pair of wigeon came in on set wings, but saw the dog and flared off. A couple more teal came in nicely and both were killed cleanly.

More duck on the move , wigeon this time , but they were a bit high. I let the bunch come right over head and had a single shot resulting in a winged bird falling on the marsh across the creek 200 yards off. The dog was unsighted and with the creek still too deep to wade I decided to leave it and look for it later.

There was a long lull with nothing moving for some time. A few pinks came in off the sands , perhaps 400 in all but with only a gentle breeze they were way too high. The only mallard of the morning appeared and ignored my calling to land on a pool well across the pool, Then just before sunrise more wigeon appeared down the creek. The first pair ignored the decoys and passed at the limit of range. A single shot dropped him , but the duck was a shade too far for a second shot. I missed the next bunch of wigeon , but one hen came from nowhere and landed in the decoys. It jumped in an instant but it took two shots to drop it the far side of the creek. Another long cold swim for Meg. Three more bunches of wigeon came down the creek leaving two behind.

It was one of those mornings that was a joy to be on the marsh. The sun flooding the marsh with a golden light , a light wind from the west and despite the cold I was well wrapped up and comfortable. Stacks of brent were on the move with many heading in the creek beside the decoys along with a few shielduck , curlew were pouring off the saltings leading inland and a few small waders were feeding close by on the wet mud. Eventually I roused myself as the tide had dropped enough to cross the creek. Meg had a long search before she flushed the lost wigeon. It flew low for a hundred yards before crashing into a clump of spartina with the dog in hot pursuit , but could not get up a second time and Meg soon caught a lively hen bird.

Time to pack up , but god my gear was in a real mess. I do not know why , but for some reason mud seems to become even more muddy , perhaps sticky would be a better description in this weather. My decoy bag was covered in it , as was my gun case and though my coat was not too bad to start with the mud off the bag straps soon covered my back . I was in a bit of a state be the time I got back to the car. As I sat there the duck started to return to the creek, 20 wigeon and 60 teal in an assortment of bunches pitched in at the very spot where my decoys had been, but I had enough for one morning and anyway I like to seen late comers coming in as I intend to do a repeat flight here next week if the frost holds.

Sounds like a fabulous flight anser2, I have yet to experience a fantastic duck flight on the foreshore , but I guess anytime you come bag with one in the bag is a good trip.

I went out this morning on the Ouse washes at Welny could here duck everywhere but none came near.

Unlucky , are you out tomorrow for a final attempt ?

When I have been out on a morning flight recently, I certainly think the ducks have been moving alot earlier.

I would agree with that , last couple of times I have been most of the duck and even some greylag have come off in the dark.

jpegFenboy , I used to shoot the eastern shore of the Wash not far from you and had some very good flights there. It was not often I had more than 2 or 3 duck on a morning or evening flight , but a medium hight tide with a west to north wind could be brilliant for wigeon, pintail and teal and rarely for mallard. My best flight came on a day with very low neaps and a storm force north gale. The duck , mainly pintail and mallard were simply queing up , no sooner had I had a shot than more duck came. There was very little cover so I lay on my back in a small clump of spartina. The flight kept up until the top of the tide when I ran out if cartridges.

A cracking flight R.

There was a long lull with nothing moving for some time. A few pinks came in off the sands , perhaps 400 in all but with only a gentle breeze they were way too high. The only mallard of the morning appeared and ignored my calling to land on a pool well across the pool, Then just before sunrise more wigeon appeared down the creek. The first pair ignored the decoys and passed at the limit of range. A single shot dropped him , but the duck was a shade too far for a second shot. I missed the next bunch of wigeon , but one hen came from nowhere and landed in the decoys. It jumped in an instant but it took two shots to drop it the far side of the creek. Another long cold swim for Meg. Three more bunches of wigeon came down the creek leaving two behind.

I shot the Ouse washes today for the last time this season Heck of a lot of teal and wigeon about but mostly flying through high up We managed 5 wigeon 3 teal and a greylag between us The amount of birds moving when we left,with the moon on its way up,was quite amazing

I shot my local marsh yesterday and managed 13 mallard 9 drakes 4 hens was the shortest flight in my life, the mallard come from all angles had a couple of right and lefts and shot three birds for two shots. For the first time ever I used eley vip steel game 32g 5 they were let's just say deadly by the way all my ducks were taken over decoys. A memorable flight that lasted a mere twenty minutes, the next hour I spent watching and listening to the magic of the marsh.

I shot my local marsh yesterday and managed 13 mallard 9 drakes 4 hens was the shortest flight in my life, the mallard come from all angles had a couple of right and lefts and shot three birds for two shots. For the first time ever I used eley vip steel game 32g 5 they were let's just say deadly by the way all my ducks were taken over decoys. A memorable flight that lasted a mere twenty minutes, the next hour I spent watching and listening to the magic of the marsh.

Sounds like a amazing flight , I have not shot a Mallard since October !

Fanboy,

Honestly it's been poor here but yesterday the birds were everywhere why I have no clue the only shame there was nobody with me to shoot and enjoy the flight.

I am guessing that you are having a cold spell and a lot of the inland splashes are frozen over which has pushed them back to the foreshore.

Last flight' of What yet again has been a Quite Season For Me due to Simply not getting the time to get out. I had planned to go to an estuary 20 miles away as after all the Snow and Hail' I knew that my local Marsh would be in full flood as I had a Flight there on Weds night and just managed to Wade out onto a Small patch of marsh that was exposed. It was an Horrendous night to be out,With driving squalls of Sleet and Hail and it was near impossible to look into the gloom for fear of losing an Eye. I seen a lot of Duck but only managed a couple of Shots and ended up with nothing in the bag.

Back to this morning' as I opened the front door i was met with more hail. I started the motor and seen that the Fuel light was on' as Missy was last in the car and had failed to tell me.I was already running a bit late so decided to Scrap the 20mile drive as the roads where not great either. I knew I would have to flight from the shore line on the local inland brackish marsh so decided to throw 3 decoys in the bag and I0 mins later I was there.

As expected the water was right up to the Sea Defence's So it was only a matter of Chucking out the 3 decoys as far as i could and settled down to wait.It was very cold with a strong onshore Wind. As Dawn broke the Greys and whoopers started flighting out to the fields getting tossed about in the Wind. No Duck appeared' but as is usual here they start to move about when it is light. The first Duck that came for a look' flighting into the wind was a Mallard' he came into range' but when i mounted the gun' I fiddled with the safety and he was a far bit away when i manged to get the shot off' but I hit him and the Wind carried him Well out before he hit the water. I had to be quick as the wind had changed slightly and the water was getting choppy and the duck was getting blown further away and as A "pump House" with about 10 foot of water at the gates would prevent me from crossing' i had to get the dog out quickly as he didnt see the bird go down.Luckily ' i got him out on a good line towards the bird and he was soon back with it. A few teal and wigeon Skirted the Decoys out of range and I was thinking about packing up' as we only can shoot one Hour before and after Dawn on this marsh' When a pair Mallard came wheeling into range' I missed with the first barrel but clipped the duck with the second.She flew a far bit before she went down' even further than the first bird and I wasnt so sure she was dead. I clambered my way down towards the pumphouse and sent the dog.He went well out and was not far from the bird which i know could see floating on the water.he couldnt see it due to the waves and he turned, despite my shouting go back he circled a bit before coming in. Nothing for it but to lay down the gun' and try and make my way around the safety Wire that fenced off around the pumphouse and deep water.When I got over the embankment and down onto the public path' I could see some early morning walkers arriving.I rushed up the path about 200 yrds,Before finding a likely place to climb back over the embankment and back down the otherside. When i did manage to fight my way through the brambles 'tearing at my waders and hands and get to the top off the embankment i was happy to see that I had judged it well and saw the duck about 30 yrds from the shore. so it was a simple enough retrieve in the end for the dog. So when I got back it was time to pack up and as i was doing so' a brace of mallard came nicely into Range but the gun was already in the slip.

So there ends another season for me. The hail is driving down outside the window as I type this and an evening flight could possibly prove to be a Good one.But as I have other plans made 'that is me done and dusted for another Season. I will include a few photos of this morning. And note the 3 decoys' which without i would have not bagged anything.

WP_20150131_011_zpsreawoq14.jpg

WP_20150131_010_zpsgxbuzoa5.jpg

WP_20150131_009_zps5yhiycgp.jpg

WP_20150131_006_zpstwenxozk.jpg

WP_20150131_005_zpseklxtfel.jpg

WP_20150131_001_zpsevtjydkx.jpg

Now that we are finally getting into the best part of the season I decided to give work a miss this morning and head up the road to sit on the edge of the mud.

Arriving at the bird hide car park after a 50minute drive which should take 30, heavy driving hail and snow all the way slowed us down but we arrived in enough time. A quick drop of coffee and the gear dragged on, the first light was just starting to show so it was a quick walk across to my favourite 'hide' a big old boulder on the hwm.

The young dog crouched down close beside me as the hail started again.

The pinks starting to wake and stretch their vocals and wings..still love that sound first thing on a morning...within about 20 seconds of the first calls the whole lot lifted..

The snow was falling heavy and vision was limited.. I couldn't see the geese but I could hear them clear as anything getting closer and closer.

I am pretty sure they passed straight over head at an easily shootable range but neither me nor the dog could see them. The young dogs eyes were frantically searching the skies with no success.

It was a total whiteout but an amazing sound with them being so close.

I have never known geese on this estuary act the way they did this morning, lifting off so quickly after the first calls..i am assuming something spooked them and panic forced them to fly up into driving snow.

The bag remained empty with only a handful of ducks flitting about out on the mud but it was another great flight that I thoroughly enjoyed..

Now to dry the gear off ready for evening flight!

That was a flight to remember E.w , were there only Mallard using your marsh ? , or were there any other species coming on there as well.

Mallard round our way seem to be declining each year and I think a lot of the problem is the flight ponds are being fed on a large scale and shot that regular that there are only a small amount left compared to what it was like before the heavy feeding.