Stubborn top lever screw - removal issues

jgguinness

Stripping my old sbs ready for some work to be done and the top level screw is being particularly difficult to remove.

All others came out ok, and stock is off but I cannot budge the lever screw. I am using proper turnscrews. There is a load of carp in the action that needs to be cleaned so im thinking of soaking it in parafin for a while to help cleaning.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to remove this screw?

Kind regards

Jonathan

Grind a turn screw /screwdriver to fit exactly bear in mind the sides of the turn screw may need to be tapered (sides not flats) the head will most likely be slightly countersunk into the lever, your blade needs to be full width but also have good depth or it'll just muller it

If need be give the turn screw / screwdriver some heat treatment to harden it

Try gently tapping some of the rounded / flared metal on the screw head back, be careful with the engraving

Seat the turn screw with a light sharp tap

Hold the action steady in a soft faced vice

Edited by Paul223

Grind a screwdriver bit to fit the top leaver pin ( we call them pins in Gunsmithing not screws ) head exactly hold the bit in an old brace

( as in brace and bit drill) ,hold action in padded vice jaws stand on small step so you can get right over the vice apply pressure to the brace with hand and chest ie lean on it ,turn brace to undo the pin .you will have much more leverage.

Deershooter

Right guys

Stripped it a little, but since it's my first disassemble I'm a bit stuck.

7c9cf707666ff2c024353f3ca5acfb64.jpg

50571105b5cc704fe6a488717851f24c.jpg

a333cb29825f8d0f522e98cc28bb14bd.jpg

What's next to dismantle so I can get the top lever off?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Right guys

Stripped it a little, but since it's my first disassemble I'm a bit stuck.

7c9cf707666ff2c024353f3ca5acfb64.jpg

50571105b5cc704fe6a488717851f24c.jpg

a333cb29825f8d0f522e98cc28bb14bd.jpg

What's next to dismantle so I can get the top lever off?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Jonathan

If you have to ask I'd suggest it's not a job the try and work out at home. Those spring hold some power and will hurt. Take it to a smith or get someone who know what their doing to help.

wd40 or similar, let it soak for a few days, fix it in a good solid vice, use a good sharp screwdriver and give it some sharp taps with a hammer, try to remove it, if not repeat every few days. do not rush. if it wont budge today it may budge tomorrow. patience.

I have built cars / motorbikes and am quite good with anything mechanical, but sometimes you need to take a step back and realise your limitations.

Get help from someone who knows how to do the job or a gunsmith. I have had a few close calls undoing things which are under pressure. Not worth losing an eye.

Until he's removed the sear springs sear hammers he can't undo or remove the top lever. Wd40 or not.

Indeed whilst the screw may be undone the lever will be as tight as on the shaft, which will present it own problems, then the shaft will not draw out because the other bits are blocking it.

To be honest removing the top lever can be much more difficult than removing the top lever retaining screw!

Take it to your local smith, using the wrong kind of punches and wrong methods on guns can cause irreversible damage and effect value. Your welcome to learn the hard way but I've done it and you might regret it. A good smith will show you how to go about it in a way which will not bend or mar pins, and prevent damaging springs and prevent them from flying all over the work shop or in your eyes.

Until he's removed the sear springs sear hammers he can't undo or remove the top lever. Wd40 or not.

Stripping my old sbs ready for some work to be done and the top level screw is being particularly difficult to remove.

All others came out ok, and stock is off but I cannot budge the lever screw. I am using proper turnscrews. There is a load of carp in the action that needs to be cleaned so im thinking of soaking it in parafin for a while to help cleaning.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to remove this screw?

Kind regards

Jonathan

the question was as above in bold

Makes me laugh when the experts tell you not to do it and take to a pro. Rubbish. Just crack on. A gun is just a machine, there is no way you can do irrepairable damage to it unless you take a hammer to it. You may even learn a thing or two about the inner workings of your own gun.

The experts only learnt by trial and error, worse case you have to take it to a gunsmith later, but as a bag of bits !

Best of luck

welsh warrior is quite right, the top lever pin is the last thing to undo once everything else has been removed.

in all fairness to the OP, and in agreement with some other posters, there's no harm in learning to strip and rebuild yourself.

just dont be afraid to ask questions and take on board the advice...

with regrads to removing the top lever spring, a good set of pliers will work as those springs are usually a little softer and easier to compress.

once thats out and the top lever moves freely, focus on the main springs.

2 methods i have used have worked when removing these, but you need to be very carefull as they are under tremendous pressure.

first is to clamp the action upside down in a vice with lead lined jaws, and using a screwdriver or punch apply enough pressure to the spring end that it moves away from the holding pin (screw) enough for you to undo it and then slowly release the tension. you'll need three hands to do this as its fiddly as hell. not my first choice as a way of doing it if im honest.

the other is to fashion a spring compressor from a large g clamp or similar and hook it around the vice and tighten it to alleviate the pressure from the spring in the same way stated above. thats alot more controllable on the release than using a screwdriver, and a lot safer.

obviously once those are out then you would need to continue stripping parts out, and it should become quite self explanitory from there on in.

bear in mind that most, if not all, of the parts you remove will be handed. on all but one of the ones i have stripped, the parts from the left hand side of the gun have been marked with a punch mark. be aware of where the parts come from and putting it all back together should be relatively trouble free.

edit: as a side question, are you wanting to completely strip the action? and are you intending on trying to remove the disc set striker plates yourself?

Edited by brett1985

Hi Brett for your reply.

I wasn't wanting to strip the action completely particularly, all I wanted was the top lever off so I could send it, barrels, trigger guard, forend rod and screws off to Barrel Browner to get sorted.

As it happens due to not getting the top lever off to complete this process I've had to take it to a local smith.

It would have been nice to do it myself, purely from an engineering satisfaction point of view. I'm not a bonehead when it comes to beng mechanically minded, having rebuilt a decent few classic cars, rebuilt engines etc etc and dismantling a shotgun shouldn't be that much of a black art.

Kind regards

Jonathan