Left eye dominance

roadkill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You think you have problems . I am right handed and right master eyed . I suffer for left ocular dominance which means I can get mirror vision especially on letters and numbers when reading . I have better that 20/20 vision in my left eye at distance but only 20/30 with glasses in my right .I have learned two things about eye sight and shooting , one is that you can shoot very well with one eye closed or half closed and the other is that the more you worry about it the worse your shooting will get .

I agree with Gunman - you can worry too much about it. I am right handed shooting, left eye dominant who shot for the first year and a half shutting the right eye. I have now changed over and shut my left eye before taking the shot. I cannot shoot two eyes open, I am all over the place and feel disorientated so knowing I will never be a George Digweed and as I am continuously improving, I shoot the way I like to shoot. I did have a period where each eye decided which would close on any given target, that lasted about two months and was a subconscious thing which really through me as I could not stop it happening. I tried magnetic dots etc but my left eye just found ways of confusing my right eye into submission so it just has to be closed.

You may find it is as much gun fit as eye dominance, I have a big neck which effects my mount and I'm left eye dominant. What really worked for me was practising my mount and for the eye dominance an easyhit sight. Its fibre optic but in a tube so if you don't have the correct eye looking down the rib you can't see it, over time it trains your right eye to take over.

Edited by srspower

Guest cookoff013

i have no eye dominance and i can have either or a mixture of "sight pictures".

i am right handed, i have to close my left eye, but that is usually before the gun is up, and my face is in the firing position. i find with this i can still shoot well and see targets,

I agree with Gunman - you can worry too much about it. I am right handed shooting, left eye dominant who shot for the first year and a half shutting the right eye. I have now changed over and shut my left eye before taking the shot. I cannot shoot two eyes open.

How the hell do you hit anything shooting off the right shoulder, with right eye closed ??? !

I have been told ladies have a different eye dominance (generally none)

How the hell do you hit anything shooting off the right shoulder, with right eye closed ??? !

I have been told ladies have a different eye dominance (generally none)

I am most definitely left eye dominant.

Interestingly when I changed over to shoot with right eye open instead of shut my score was very similar as when I shot left eye open and right shut for quite a while. I think when shooting with right eye shut, basically my brain had compensated for whatever was happening and whatever I was seeing. My score is now improving but a lot of that is to do with just getting better at it I think.

I am most definitely left eye dominant.

Interestingly when I changed over to shoot with right eye open instead of shut my score was very similar as when I shot left eye open and right shut for quite a while. I think when shooting with right eye shut, basically my brain had compensated for whatever was happening and whatever I was seeing. My score is now improving but a lot of that is to do with just getting better at it I think.

I think I've misunderstood you here are you shoot from the right shoulder with your right eye closed?

I'm really confused with all this advise. It is really simple. If you shoot off your right shoulder and you are left eye dominant, it is VERY VERY simple, whilst following the object just before you pull the trigger close your left eye. It's not rocket science and very easy to master. I have been doing it for years. I admit I'm not the best shot in the world but it hasn't stopped me enjoying shooting.

I think I've misunderstood you here are you shoot from the right shoulder with your right eye closed?

Yes I did for the first 18 months or so of shooting. I knew it was wrong but I felt more comfortable. Then something weird happened and my eyes were choosing which one should close depending on the presentation of the target and then I made an effort to use the little magnetic spot thing on my left eye but still had to shut my left eye because it just wasn't right and now I try hard to see the target with both eyes but must then close left eye to take the shot.

We took one of the son in laws who had never shot before to knock down a few clays and he did hit a few but he got a fair battering on his shoulder and face. He was black and blue. When we next took him we noticed that he had a weird stance and was not getting the gun up into his shoulder properly. After a while we realised that he was right shoulder but left eye and this caused him to sort of turn to the right so that he could look down the gun. This in turn made him hold the butt out on his arm and his cheek to touch the stock at an odd angle and that is why he got battered about so much. When we next get out we will get him to close his left eye and see how he gets on with that. Failing that we will have to put him down or something. Optically disadvantaged person.

We took one of the son in laws who had never shot before to knock down a few clays and he did hit a few but he got a fair battering on his shoulder and face. He was black and blue. When we next took him we noticed that he had a weird stance and was not getting the gun up into his shoulder properly. After a while we realised that he was right shoulder but left eye and this caused him to sort of turn to the right so that he could look down the gun. This in turn made him hold the butt out on his arm and his cheek to touch the stock at an odd angle and that is why he got battered about so much. When we next get out we will get him to close his left eye and see how he gets on with that. Failing that we will have to put him down or something. Optically disadvantaged person.

Brilliant LOL

When we next get out we will get him to close his left eye and see how he gets on with that. Failing that we will have to put him down or something. Optically disadvantaged person.

MIght be for the best......................

Or get him to shoot of his left shoulder......................

Sian Iam seriously impressed you hit anything shooting with your eye closed on the side you shouldered the gun!

No cross over stock. In fact my Beretta SP1 stock had hardly anything done when fitted so almost a generic stock. I'm dead serious when I say the difference in scores between correct eye and wrong eye was neglible. I'm never going to be a brilliant shot but I do okay and sometimes I surprise everyone

No cross over stock. In fact my Beretta SP1 stock had hardly anything done when fitted so almost a generic stock. I'm dead serious when I say the difference in scores between correct eye and wrong eye was neglible. I'm never going to be a brilliant shot but I do okay and sometimes I surprise everyone

I really want to see you shoot like that Sian let me know if your planning a shooting trip down this way.

I really want to see you shoot like that Sian let me know if your planning a shooting trip down this way.

I am now being good and shooting with my right eye open, left eye shut so I really should not go back to shooting with my left eye open and right eye shut!