How many people shoot from dingy or sneak boat

Jonboy14

Anser when you say we have moved on are you representing every single fowler as I'm sure people must still do it ?

When I say we have moved on I am saying there is nolonger a free for all on the foreshore we have moved into a club system with a licence from Natural England and \or Crown comissioners.

Mag man you are right !!!

When I spoke to basc last year about it , they told me it is legal below high water mark, but of corse where the foreshore is private and where it is also leased these areas must be avoided.

In England all foreshore is private or leased today.

We have done a lot of this type of shooting and are well aware of the law, as advised by bascs wildfowling team.

You can legally shoot wildfowl in a boat whilst drifting . You however are NOT allowed to persue wildfowl with any type of motorisation or be at anchor.inlongs you make a clear effort to show you are under drift .ie if you use a engine to get to creek you should the remove from water and put it on tilt.

I don't think there is any law against shooting at anchor……...if you have permission to be there.

Re the engine - the phrasing is 'in immediate pursuit' which i have always read to be under power at that time i.e. chasing birds from a moving boat.

the way I see it and ive fished at sea with my own boats for 30 years if your below high water mark,no one leases it otherwise we would need permits for salt water fishing from boats,so I think out at sea your okay to shoot.

There is a fundamental right to navigate and take fish up any river as far as it is 'navigable' since 1215 (Magna Carta),I think. Ilchester v Rashley and Others, August 10th 1889 will give you a bit of information. There was no offence of Armed trespass before the 1968 Firearms Act, and trespass in persuit of wildfowl has never been an offence.

Edited by rjimmer

I spoke to BASC about coming on here and it does not look as if anyone will be along soon to give the definitive answer.

I have to say that I`m not very amused by that attitude which I shall be taking up with Council.

It would have taken a staff member minutes to resolve this issue which, as is so often the case with `tinternet,has degenerated into a rash of nonsensical and ignorant opinion.

Thats nothing unusual, but i`m one of those people who, as a wildfowling club officer, will have to pick up the pieces if anyone local to me is stupid enough to try to implement some of the nonsense that is being spouted herein.

I sometimes wonder if BASC truly grasps the immediacy and impact of social networking and sites such as this.

I`m sure that Media Dept staff are very busy. I`d be interested to know in what that prevents them from dealing with the insidious spread of dangerous misinformation.

By refusing to accept that sites such as this are windows into current discussion about shooting, and acting upon them, I would`nt be at all surprised if this does not turn, quite needlessly, but deservedly, into another BASC bashing thread.

One that could easily have been avoided.

I love reading threads like this. Some dont know the answer, but are suitably upset by what the legal position might be to express a view nonetheless for the fear that everyone will buy a boat. Not surprised the basc dont want to get involved! A little bit of freedom reigns on shore care of the crown owning the seabed perhaps. But does that mean, you canfloat your little boat into a reserve below the hwm and start blasting away? Surely not!

Wildfowling on much of the coast is a balancing act with the need for notice of consents and all the strings that come with them . On the one hand the right of shooting from a boat ( punt gunning ) below the high tide mark is so important for punt gunning and they have their own set of self policing rules , ie not shooting over tidal sections of reserves or club leases .On the other hand if people go willy nilly shooting over such areas with a sneak boat they bring punt gunning under threat and that a sport that in any case hangs by a thread.

To my mind if you have permission from your club to shoot from a boat then fine and good luck to you , but if you go shooting from a boat over the flooded ground of another club then even if its within the lettter of the law that is a big NO no.

Edited by anser2