Hamilton slip stand

grrclark

Does anybody use the gun slip/stand with the built in legs? It works just like a golf stand bag.

Going to buy a new slip and torn between a classic leather slip and the slip stand. It means no more lying the gun down on the mud, in wet grass or leant against a tree, but it is a bit more cumbersome I guess.

Not seen any in the flesh so would be an online purchase so any experienced opinions gratefully received.

I'd much prefer the leather gunslip personally. I either hang mine on the peg (it isn't leather but a mixture of heavyweight canvas and leather) I'm shooting from, over my shoulder ( if walking gun ) or hang it on the hide. I could see the practicalities if double gunning, but otherwise I just don't like the look of them. Possibly something to do with golfing, not sure. :)

Does anybody use the gun slip/stand with the built in legs? It works just like a golf stand bag.

Going to buy a new slip and torn between a classic leather slip and the slip stand. It means no more lying the gun down on the mud, in wet grass or leant against a tree, but it is a bit more cumbersome I guess.

Not seen any in the flesh so would be an online purchase so any experienced opinions gratefully received.

If ever there was an example of a company with brain dead management :yes: this is it. The Shamilton has now been on the market for several years, initially sales were good but inevitably people found that they were more trouble than they are worth as they apparently blow over in wind, aren't particularly stable and just plain extra baggage. I see almost none being used on the circuit.

If they had a brain they would have read all the constructive criticisms and acted on them because the product itself is actually rather well made and surprisingly well priced too.

In case they're reading this they need to refine the design to iron out the balance issues, then put a great big dirty cartridge carrier in the centre of the bag, do away with slings and self cocking legs and instead place :good:wheels :rolleyes: in the centre line such that when being carried the weight falls on the axel and not the arm. Simple innit.

Hamster, with the courage of your convictions knock up a prototype and market it :)

Years and years ago someone brought one out, I bought a 2nd hand one off ebay a few years ago, new they were too dear and a little too heavy and the wheels were located at the bottom end so the weight would fall onto your arms which made carriage tedious but generally it did the job and the self cocking arms worked really well as all it took to let it stand on its own was to push it upright to work the mech.

I think it lasted about 3 years before it fell apart so to be fair wasn't up to the rigours of clay shooting but it does prove that it must be possible to design and market a sturdy version. The Shamilton is crying out for wheels, the basic gun carrier is excellent but just needs a big cartridge pouch and wheels in the centre line, I reckon people would pay close to £200 for them then.

You see more Krieghoff Parcours on an average layout than you do the Sham :yes: and they start at £12000 big ones so the money is there. ;)

I have thought about it but it's not my thing, reckon you'd have to have a trip out to China or something.

I counted 9 of these being used at Flitwick on Sunday including one of the guys I go with using his for the first time while I've been out with him. Problem with his is it wasn't long enough for his 30" barrel S/A with extended choke and the stock stuck 2" out the end. He still had to Carry a cartridge bag as well and was a bu@@er to get in the boot of a mondeo with 3 other gun slips.

I counted 9 of these being used at Flitwick on Sunday including one of the guys I go with using his for the first time while I've been out with him. Problem with his is it wasn't long enough for his 30" barrel S/A with extended choke and the stock stuck 2" out the end. He still had to Carry a cartridge bag as well and was a bu@@er to get in the boot of a mondeo with 3 other gun slips.

They make a longer one my semi fits it's tight but it fits 30"with external chokes

Have the Deluxe leather version in extra long for the Maxus.

Nice, just a stable as propping up ur gun on a tree but some clay stands esp on 'woodland' type shoots where the ground is sloped requires thought on placement.

Otherwise I think it's great.....

I have had the delux version for about a year or so I use it quite a lot at least two times a week. About a month ago one of the legs snapped, I phoned the guys from Hamilton and the service was first class. I sent them a picture of the broken leg and they immediately dispatched me a replacement. I have had no problems with it blowing over in the wind etc.

It's horses for courses I guess but I think it's a great bit of kit, it saves having to bend down, saves having to put your gun on the ground. Yes it's a bit more bulky than a conventional slip, but that's a trade off I am more than happy to make.

What I also like is that the company stand by their product as they replaced mine without any questions asked and it arrived within 3 days.

So in summary I like mine, it makes sense to me and think that it's a good product. What does not make sense in my mind is paying lots of £££££ for a gun and then putting it on the floor.

I saw two gun get run over by a quad type bike at the CLA Gamefair at Blenheim last year. The driver did not see them on the ground. Also if you have ever been to EJ Churchills you will have seen the automatic/robotic lawn mower in front of the clubhouse. A guy put his new Gun CG down on the grass and the lawn mower to a chunk out of his stock.

As I say though horses for courses....

I have had the delux version for about a year or so I use it quite a lot at least two times a week. About a month ago one of the legs snapped, I phoned the guys from Hamilton and the service was first class. I sent them a picture of the broken leg and they immediately dispatched me a replacement. I have had no problems with it blowing over in the wind etc.

It's horses for courses I guess but I think it's a great bit of kit, it saves having to bend down, saves having to put your gun on the ground. Yes it's a bit more bulky than a conventional slip, but that's a trade off I am more than happy to make.

What I also like is that the company stand by their product as they replaced mine without any questions asked and it arrived within 3 days.

So in summary I like mine, it makes sense to me and think that it's a good product. What does not make sense in my mind is paying lots of £££££ for a gun and then putting it on the floor.

I saw two gun get run over by a quad type bike at the CLA Gamefair at Blenheim last year. The driver did not see them on the ground. Also if you have ever been to EJ Churchills you will have seen the automatic/robotic lawn mower in front of the clubhouse. A guy put his new Gun CG down on the grass and the lawn mower to a chunk out of his stock.

As I say though horses for courses....

I own one - I got it for the wife to give to me last Christmas :)

It does have good and bad points. A big one is the sling is positioned wrong - try navigating stairs with it slung over your shoulder unless you are 6'6" tall and it has blown over in wind when empty. Also, it is bulky

However since I have got my CG with a floating high rib it has come into its own as I don't like to rest it in the rack in case the gun gets banged and damages the rib. It also takes my 32" with extended chokes - snug but it fits

Hope this helps with your decision