Geese.

Pistol p

Just my 2 pence worth, I have geese on my permission and I was advised to use a HEAVY load cartridge as they are very tough. I use gamebore mammoth 36g no.1's super steel. I was told don't use clay loads and don't use 32g. YOU COULD use a lighter shell but to me a clean kill is vital. I'm really not sure how you could use a air rifle for geese.

My opinion is that unless you get a clean headshot every time which I think is unreasonable to expect I wouldn't dream of using such an underpowered gun for a very large bird. If you have to use a big shell in a 12g, surely an air rifle would not be suitable in any way. Just my opinion. ATB 425

So when I was using a 20g years ago I was inhumane, in your opinion?

My bud using 32g steel in his 12g was inhumane was he, in your opinion?

Please, how many geese have you shot?

Will most likely be judged as inhumane?

Not hijacking the thread but you never know who's watching, I have a couple of fairly public permissions and regularly see people watching me through binos.

Try a moonie!

Come on guys an air rifle is just not suitable

Give respect for your quarry I have even seen them run with a .223 badly placed shot

So even a 223 is not suitable now!

An air rifle at close range i.e. a range that the user can consistently hit a sub 20mm target in a field situation is just as humane as a shot gun at a suitable range to maintain pattern and power.

An air gun is not humane at ranges that do not produce sub 20mm kill zones in a field situations in the same way a shot gun is not humane at ranges where the pattern fails, therefore at suitable ranges both can be humane.

We are not suggesting that an air gun is suitable long shots of 35m plus in the same way as I would think others would not recommend a shotgun for ranges of 60m plus, does this mean a shot gun is not suitable for shooting geese?

So when I was using a 20g years ago I was inhumane, in your opinion?

My bud using 32g steel in his 12g was inhumane was he, in your opinion?

Please, how many geese have you shot?

So even a 223 is not suitable now!

If you RE-READ MY POST AND HIGHTLIGHT WHERE I SAID 'INHUMANE' as you repeated twice when asking if in my opinion I thought using a 20g or 32g was INHUMANE.

I'll save you time, I didn't. I said ' I was advised not to use clay loads and 32g' it says, I was ADVISED, nowhere does it say INHUMANE. Also the only logical reason I can think you mention 20g is because I said 'if you have to use a big load in a 12g, surely a air rifle would not be suitable. I was using the example of if you use a shotgun with a decent load with the killing power it has a much lesser powered gun wouldn't be suitable.

I'm not sure how you read what I said and came up with your rhetorical questions leading for an argument because you've tried to twist what I've said. Also I always said in my opinion, I NEVER SAID IT WAS FACT, and finally to answer your question I've shot less than 20 geese so by most standards in a novice. But having shot 20 more than the OP I thought my experience my be of relevance.

As you can see I said TO ME a clean kill is vital. TO ME, my personal preference, once again just my opinion. ATB 425

You'll make a mess with an air rifle and wound it. Use something with a little more poke, I'd suggest 20 bore and up with appropriate loads or a .22 rimfire as a minimum if legal (not sure of the legality as it doesn't apply to me but basc can advise over the phone).

I don't think fac air will cut it and unless your in the 705 yard hare catagory you'll miss and you don't want to miss with a sub 12 air gun and go chasing an angry goose about the field whilst no doubt being caught on video by a random rambler trespassing.

Fox's and .22 is a different matter.

Lets get back to the original question " is it legal to shoot geese with an airgun?", can someone post a link to legislation that states that an airgun cannot be used to shoot geese in the same way that it is stated what is required to shoot deer? It is an offence to cause unnecessary suffering regardless of caliber etc.so we all act to be humane and as such use the chosen gun within its capabilities.

If you RE-READ MY POST AND HIGHTLIGHT WHERE I SAID 'INHUMANE' as you repeated twice when asking if in my opinion I thought using a 20g or 32g was INHUMANE.

I'll save you time, I didn't. I said ' I was advised not to use clay loads and 32g' it says, I was ADVISED, nowhere does it say INHUMANE. Also the only logical reason I can think you mention 20g is because I said 'if you have to use a big load in a 12g, surely a air rifle would not be suitable. I was using the example of if you use a shotgun with a decent load with the killing power it has a much lesser powered gun wouldn't be suitable.

I'm not sure how you read what I said and came up with your rhetorical questions leading for an argument because you've tried to twist what I've said. Also I always said in my opinion, I NEVER SAID IT WAS FACT, and finally to answer your question I've shot less than 20 geese so by most standards in a novice. But having shot 20 more than the OP I thought my experience my be of relevance.

As you can see I said TO ME a clean kill is vital. TO ME, my personal preference, once again just my opinion. ATB 425

Only asking, keep yer hat on. 20 geese shot is not novice!

I promise to not mention the .410 then! Or show any sensitive goose photos.

Where do I stand with my catties?

Geese are hard to kill & harder to Stop, the likely outcome is a goose shot in head, takes off, flies away ,& folds up a distance away, if it is then found by a member of the public who takes the body to a vet or the police & examination finds an airgun pellet,think of the damage you could do to your sport by the release of info to the media. USE ENOUGH GUN!