Dodging the showers ...

WelshMike

I have been working away for the last couple of weeks so have not had any chance to get out with the rifle. Just to rub salt in the wound Eccles has managed to get off the sofa and get out so the gauntlet was down :lol:

The good old weather man gave a clearing in the rain for around 8.00 on Saturday night..but was not exactly accurate but worth a go.

Over to farm 1, no sign of anything and despite a bit of calling and a downpour left with a blank.

Farm 2. Checked on the approach to the buildings and spooked a fox at about 40 yards with the lamp, never to be seen again. Unlike farm 1 I left a lot wetter then when I arrived. I did contemplate going home.

Farm 3. There is a spot where I shot 3 a couple of weeks ago and I knew foxes were still calling due to a report from a friend. Arrived and parked up in an area where I can watch around 50 acres with a perfect backdrop. As it was still raining like mad I stopped in the truck for 10 mins until the rain stopped. Out with the foxpro and set the rifle up on the truck roof. Vixen call on and within 1 minute a flash of eyes at the top of the field. Over to the NV, confirmed as a fox around 300 yards away. Changed the call to "gekkering" and that got the fox really interested. At 120 yards I dropped her with a 80 grain soft point.

I carried on calling for a bit and another flash of eyes alerted me to another fox to my right. Due to the angle I had to get down from the truck and put the rifle on the bonnet. At this point the fox was sat around 60 yards away peering through the fence. As it is a double fence I couldnt get a clear shot but another blast of the gekkering call got it to come through the gate at around 50 yards, fox 2 down. He was a nice big dog fox.

Down came the rain so a quick break before putting the caller on again. Another flash of eyes....by the time I had got myself sorted no sign of the fox through the NV so turned the lamp on, there stands the fox at about 15 yards...not for long though. Back over to NV to see the fox trotting up the field, it paused and down it went to another chest shot. Dog fox number 2 down.

Farm 4 and 5 were all quiet.

Another productive night despite the weather.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the pic, the fox in the middle was a little messy on closer inspection.

2%20dogs%201%20vixen%2006.02.16_zps2op0a

Well done for braving the elements , it was a great result for a terrible weekend.

Cheers PC. Not a patch on your efforts though.

Heck they must dropping them on you!

My little wmr could of sorted them out

Well done mate, takes some determination in these conditions!

Cheers U. I was surprised to get 3 given I have shot 27 on the particular farm in less then 12 months. .243 may be a bit overboard for some of the ranges at the moment but certainly does the job.

Well done Mike :good: good read bud. :good: you should not shoot them poor old foxes in the rain . :lol: Not sure if the foxes or u are the daftest to be out in it. :lol: atb Terry

Cheers Terry. Technically I didnt shoot the foxes in the rain...I was sat in the truck whilst it was raining ...cant get the NV wet :lol: I think you know me well enough to know that I am the daft one. Take it easy mate and try not to wear that comfy sofa of yours out :lol:

Nice one mike bet your glad to get back on em? I'm working up to Wednesday so no shining for me.

Cheers mate. I was happy to be out despite the rain. I am still looking for therapy that helps me with my issues...no luck so far :lol:

well done mike excellent night for you ,27 rabbits off one farm is good going by any measure :rolleyes:

:lol: Dont start :lol:

Well done Mike great result what Nv you using

Cheers Bud. N750A on top of the Howa 1500 in .243 win

Good shooting Mike. :good:

Thanks Steve

Re the 243, what'll do a lot 'll do a little

That is so true of many things :lol: